The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Heretic

A Morally Bankrupt Society ???

Australia sure is a lucky country - we have a very high standard of living .

[ But many indigenous people live in squalor with marginal health services . ]

Our govts spend huge sums on advertising propaganda extolling their virtues and achievements , and millions on fireworks to celebrate dubious events , etc , etc , etc ,

Elsewhere across the world billions of people live in poverty , starving , drinking putrid water often lugged for miles by women or children , without any education or health care whatsoever ....

But we are going to slash foreign aid to pay for our latest military campaign . In Iraq , and elsewhere - countries awash with oil revenue , or already spending big on war ...

I often wonder if we are a morally bankrupt society .....

• Like 1

1 in 8 australians are living in poverty technically. Doesn't sound all that lucky

And yes we are most definitely devoid of morals as a whole.

Just take into consideration that the "good guys" have killed more innocent civilians in the middle east than that "terrorists"...
Says something...

• Like 1

This is a certainty, the statistics will speak for themselves in terms of equality and distribution of wealth we more than certainly have failed not just ourselves for believing we somehow deserve more of the pie than those who dont have any pie and would like some of that yummy. I mean just look at how twisted politics is atm its pretty much an ideological cluster fuck of old well off white men besides the few worthwhile constituents which one could count on one hand. The bullshit justifications and continuation of war and war profiteering, the subjugation of entire nations to the whim of state departments and world banks the winding back of hard fought for civil rights etc etc etc i mean the fucking list just doesnt stop

But to be completely fair this is not a new phenomenon that just burst at the seems during the 70s 80s whenever, this is the history of the past several hundred years of humanity working within and abusing the systems they worked with at the time be it communism, Leninism, capitalism, free trade etc . Corruption and more so greed greed greed is the super sexy new face (althought its an old game) of what it means to be a human in our time, having more things made with stuff then those other fools denotes some sort of fucken retrograde sense of prestige like we are in medieval europe or some shit, Yes we have failed in my opinion although ultimately time will tell.

At this point though i think one can and should congratulate oneself for pushing the inherent programming that all this is and should be, it takes a certain type of nerve to say to oneself well i think im probably fucken wrong and perhaps we can do better - tis certainly a good starting point. to be honest im not entirely sure what the focus should be certainly we should continue to point out the injustices we see in todays world but perhaps also start looking for a new way especially for some sort of sense of sanity and dare i say community whatever that actually means in todays day and age

Edited by -YT-
  • Like 5

A good question is what is our society building/working towards? it certainly in my eyes is not some sort of benevolent society working towards shared goals but more so individuals working towards making as much cash as they can and fuck everyone else? thats not to say great discovery's are not made but these are not the premise more so the economy and market is the driving force and all else be dammed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHyOQPWkIA

Edited by -YT-
  • Like 1

Hi . I am inclined to agree with all of the above opinions , and like - YT - and others believe , perhaps there are better ways we could be spending money ; instead of making war and chasing " terrorists " [ and inevitably killing innocents in the process ] .

Sure , the " terrorists " must have genuine grievances to so despise us , for them attempt to address these with their own " shock and awe " type actions ....

Maybe , instead of ludicrously expensive extreme military violence , if we were to use that wasted money to attempt to help out with their problems instead of killing them and their neighbours , they might hate us a little less ? [ Whatever , benevolence rather than violence , could not be any worse than the situations we are constantly and presently creating ... ]

Warfare , I believe , cannot solve the problems of today . Despair , suffering , hatred , misery , and more refugees fleeing our violence , I suspect , are more likely outcomes .

History has shown us the insanity and utter futility of war , but it seems that we can't help ourselves ; and Australia [ for reasons I am unable to comprehend ] is always eager to join in the fight ; always one of the first nations to commit ...

If our goal is to help create a harmonious world , I believe we are going about it the wrong way ....

Edited by Heretic

not aiming to better your own life because others elsewhere have it worse is absurd. much effort has gone into raising awareness of the disadvantaged, but there isn't much we can do from this country. if we send money it will be taken by corrupt officials. if we send food it will be eaten by corrupt officials. if we send the UN their women will turn to prostitution and their men to drug dealing. if you start a western school, an extremist will burn it down. even if you travel there yourself, hold seminars about solid agriculture technique and spread ground nut or similar seeds en mass, many farmers will laugh and say ground nut is an old man's or woman's crop. these aren't problems that can realistically be solved by you or in the length of your single human life. you can spend your time and resources trying to help (while actually worsening) or you can spend your time and resources making the lives of your friends, family and self more happy. i know what i choose.

• Like 1

i think the last 2 posts have missed the point somehow .........Persia doesn't need our help....in any way what so every.....they were living in highly civilised societies when the people of Britain were living in damp holes in the ground.....maybe I miss read, but there is a myth woven in the prospective "we are here to help" (probably media)..isn't that the govt mantra we all dread to hear...

They are sitting on the biggest oil fields on the planet...What the west wants the west takes...some huge battles occurred their during WW2 for that very reason...The west chooses to control this resource in order to hold influence over other nations. A powerful bargaining chip in international geo/politics. The west could have been nice about it & just nuked the entire area from Iran to Saudi....exterminate all life forms...it would have been the cheapest option & the most humane..as absurd & abhorrent as the concept is.....Instead its been & long drawn out play .........an endless war...where people & their beliefs & religious/cultural loyalties are played against each other. The west continually positions puppet dictator's until they step out of line...its just endless suffering endless war. whole industries funded by the tax slaves, building endless weapons........Consider the money spent since bush...trillions.....the us & oz could have carpeted their nations in roof top pv's....thermal solar desert arrays....offshore wind farms ...geo thermal....... oz could be exporting surplus energy to Asia, not fucken the devils coal...the us could be on the way to terra-forming mars.........but no they have chosen to destroy an ancient culture ..humiliate/torture them....murder/incarcerate members of their families...while their own citizens fall deeper into poverty...funding this bullshit...but hey they (western communities) voted for it so they got what they/we deserved...The us whole infrastructure is failing.....water/sewer pipes all leaking....dams/flood banks/bridges & road's collapsing ...& a militarised fascist police state in the land of the wank wank free?

ISIS cannot be bombed...its not a state...its an ideology...

Crows were introduced to my country, periodically when their numbers get too high, govt reps go out & shoot them....crows are wise....they have a life span of >70 years....they just scatter...disperse...so instead of 1 colony your get many.....if ISIS is for real ...it will do the same.

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

dreamwalker, did you mean my post missed the point? i didn't think it did. my post was meant to suggest that we are only morally bankrupt by the standards set forth by corporate society. even the terminology used relates only to the capitalist world. we live that way, and that is fine, so not living to better your own situation because someone else is not capitalized is absurd. the only way we could accurately bring our 'comfortable' lifestyle to those we judge (immorally) disadvantaged would be further colonization, which we would all agree is wrong. so what should we do? i think nothing, unless it is directly asked of us. if our ideals are what people in other areas want then the end game is societies similar to ours, all we can do is watch and wait and see. actively trying to change things for others based on your own philosophies is always going to be problematic, be it through war or peaceful means.

• Like 1

Jonathan Ott - [ imho , a very wise man ] - in the early 1990s suggested that if we are unable to change our western materialistic greed and consumption , we are destined for a global " biological and cultural holocaust " ....

I think our taxes might be more wisely spent , instead of on extreme military violence .

The people of Iraq have always been subjugated and downtrodden, ever since civilisation began with them. I fear their lot isn't going to improve for quite some time.

• Like 1