The Corroboree
Ambient

Proof that Bunnings sells San Pedro

The ongoing controversy of bunnings occasionally selling cacti such as T. Peruvianus and T. Pachanoi has been reported by a number of members on these forums, elsewhere on the internet and within some social networks I'm aware of. Would proof that Bunnings sells legally questionable cacti within Australia put a spanner in the works for future cases where individuals were being accused of possessing the same species?

If so, and if it is is deemed an appropriate thing to do? I propose evidence of the availability of T. Peruvianus and T. Pachanoi be collated in this thread for future use of any individual/s facing unreasonable persecution for their gardening interests. If you have photographic evidence of said species being sold in Bunnings, please post them here along with the date and state where the photos were taken. Additionally if you know someone (who isn't you) that has purchased one of these cacti, please post a photograph of the receipt and the cacti together (cash receipts only or receipts where any personally identifiable information is obscured).

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the matter and some substantiation of the numerous claims that have been thrown around over the years.

my girlfriend found a bridge in a perth bunnings

I tried to explain that these plants are in bunnings to the cops and that most cacti have never even had any testing done and questioned how they can have laws on mescaline producing plants when they don't even know all the plants that produce it aswell as questioning wattles which are planted on a daily basis by thousand by shire workers they told me I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about while in the same breath told me I knew more than I was letting on

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What if you had irrefutable evidence to back up your allegations?

I don't mean to ignore the fact that police are likely to try and dismiss a defendant’s claims if they could undermine their attempts at prosecution, but what if you had specific, black and white evidence that the same law was being broken by a large commercial identity? Wouldn’t the authorities be required to act (irrelevant of the original individuals case)?

I understand having proof that Bunning was or is breaking the same laws may not be a get out of jail free card (so as to speak), but wouldn’t it raise a few questions on the legitimacy of a law that is only enforced upon individuals who aren’t likely to have multimillion dollar resources available to defend such allegations?

I see them in Bunnings all the time, but they are legal to sell in my state.

Are Bunnings/Hamilton's supplying these in states where they are not legal to be sold? If not, then I I don't see how drawing attention to this is helpful. It's only going to make them harder to get for people starting out in this hobby.

• Like 6

I had no idea that these ones were illegal anywhere in Australia. They're certainly not uncommon and they do sell them at bunnings.

I do worry that creating this type of thread will only draw unwanted attention.

Edited by GHBeer
  • Like 6

It's only going to make them harder to get for people starting out in this hobby.

I do worry that creating this type of thread will only draw unwanted attention.

Fair call, mods please close this thread.

• Like 1

This particular monster being the model of business and consumer suckcess that it is imo will no doubt have some disclaimer somewhere stating that they are not liable for the products they stock or sell.....

If the shit hits the fan will it not be the supplier(s) who will be penalised.

- firstly for growing the cactus and supplying an 'illegal' plant

- secondly by the monster who will cancel contracts and agreements with the nurseries that grow these plants and then maybe try and sue or have the nursery prosecuted for the bad publicity and or loss of revenue that the monster may have incurred.

maybe theres some loop hole that states if its a seedling or a cut is under a certain size then it doesn't contain enough goodness to make a difference of course this doesn't stop the customer buying 3 cactus instead of 1 :)

Or

as the extraction of goodness may require other items and equipment than just buying a cactus maybe thats how they get around it.

Im sure macgyver could make a nuc with some of the shit they got.

ever noticed how they roster the nutter employees in the garden section.

wonder if we'll see khat avail in their garden centres soon.

Are Bunnings/Hamilton's supplying these in states where they are not legal to be sold? If not, then I I don't see how drawing attention to this is helpful. It's only going to make them harder to get for people starting out in this hobby.

This ^^

and being the monster that it is will they not investigate the origins of the complaint

• Like 2

I see them in Bunnings all the time, but they are legal to sell in my state.

Bunnings Qld are supplied by hamiltons, i asked them to get lophs in for me, they told me they were illegal so i asked for TBM'sand yeah sure they are fine, so i bought a few. $15.00 each for nice healthy plants ordered in, so not sitting in bunnings to rot!

Edited by in_spirit

ever noticed how they roster the nutter employees in the garden section.

Hey man, I used to be one of those "nutter employees in the garden section"! They aren't all bad. :lol:

• Like 3

No need to shut the thread down but a "Bunnings Find" thread with no references to the law would provide you with proof of how common these cacti are (without being particularly interesting to anyone not already in the know).

I am interested in knowing where these cacti are actually illegal. Banning columnar cacti is ridiculous (in fact, it's the height of stupidity)

Edited by GHBeer
  • Like 2

Hey man, I used to be one of those "nutter employees in the garden section"! They aren't all bad. :lol:

Last time I bought a cactus at bunnings the lady at the counter winked at me and told me how my cactus was an awesome find. Wasn't even in the garden section.

• Like 1

if you worked at the local one here id shoplift from there more often :o

Im no smarty, Its just I've noticed across a few states 'that lowest acumen is just the beginning' with some employees

maybe you could change the title to 'seeking proof that san pedro are available commercially'

• Like 1

I am interested in knowing where these cacti are actually illegal. Banning columnar cacti is ridiculous (in fact, it's the height of stupidity)

Isn't it...... WA, SA, QLD..

• Like 3

maybe you could change the title to 'seeking proof that san pedro are available commercially'

Same difference, I just wish there was a way to be within your rights to collect cacti for ornamental purposes :( so much frustration right now.

After what happened to Myco I decided collecting what are some of my favourite looking trichocereus sp. just isn't a viable option anymore, and I've been slowly but steadily getting rid of my collection ever since :(

I think perhaps.....we shouldnt draw unwanted attention to what Bunnings sells. :wink:

News to me that a live Trich is illegal, theres barely a single block without one in somebodys yard!

Edited by Trichocybin
  • Like 3

well as proof these large companies are breaking these laws I can tell you I received a caespitose.....

from what I am led to believe is one of the largest commercial cacti suppliers in the country "CC"

not only were they perfectly willing to send it to W.A. but they also re-labelled it as a completely different plant "echinocerues knipellianus"

this is also the same people who the bridge came from to and many many scops through both postage and bunnings

honestly I would just shut ya mouth and don't talk to people about it ;)

99% of cops will have no idea of what they even are

a nice example is this the police spent a month or 2 researching before arrival yet still this is an example of how little they knew

OFFICER: do you have any of these "ECHINOPSIS" pachanoi

ME: I think those couple of seedlings there are pachanoi (they had labels)

OFFICER: that's not them they have spines

ME: ok :scratchhead: hahahhaha :wave-finger:

• Like 12

I think that even if you grew a few plants that are somewhat dubious in there legality, that if you have multiple different cacti/succulent species around them then there should be a good case to claim ignorance on what the plants are/do. Just my opinion as i have quite a few cacti and am continuously buying more from bunnings/nurseries and local markets. Even scored my first TBM from this nice old lady after getting to chatting at a market, she sold me over half of her collection of plants including some advanced Madagascar palms, one of which is now happily thriving in my front yard :lol:

maybe they ran out of real criminals?,,, so switched to persecution of plants to make themselves another form of looking busy

... to waste all your hard earned tax dollars even more

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 2

I have bought a couple from Bunnings over the years. Interestingly on he back of the label it says "Not to be eaten" or something similar. Strange.

• Like 1

Are Bunnings/Hamilton's supplying these in states where they are not legal to be sold?

Bunnings/Mitre10 are always selling san pedros and scops in SA.

anhydrous ammonia, toulene, chlorine tablets, piperazine solution..... Pedro at Bunnings is the least of law enforcements concern i can assure you. While a few innocent people ive known have been caught in the crossfire plant heads are generally left in peace yet there are a few "plant heads" with mixed ambitions, avoid those flipping tabs and disco biscuits, obscure research chems, and turning a profit in any way that avoids taxation and youll be right. Ive had task forces all up in my shit a few times, never bothered me about the cactus in my fish tank, the vines on my fence, the potted cathas at my door, or the wattles out back, they were certainly recognised too, even had a cop joke about this forum on one occasion, bigger fish to fry, dont get greedy and you wont get hurt :)

• Like 2

Been to a few bunnings here in Perth and not once have I seen San Pedro etc

Wish they did!

• Like 1

Where I live they sell them once in a blue moon. Keep an eye out just in case they do sell em.

I just opened another thread a couple days ago saying i bought a san pedro from bunnings. They definitely do sell trichos