The Corroboree
ace1928

DIY Tool Autoclave Bags for Mycology Work

Hey guys

Got a really simple technique for making an autoclave bag for any mycology or microbiology work you might do.

This is really particularly useful for flowhoods but can be a boost in cleanliness for a sterile air box too.

Basically the idea is to take a laminator, some laminating pouches and some baking paper.
The baking paper doesn't stick super well to the laminating pouches but it does stick well enough to seal water tight.

The next thing to do is laminate an A4 size sheet of the baking paper in one of the laminating pouches and then you are about good to go.

I tend to cut the A4 sheet down to about the size of my tools, with a little room for sealing, and then just peel up the edge. You can then simply slide the tools into the space that peels up between the pouch and baking paper.

Once the tools are in there simply slide the pouch into the laminator and press the release mechanism to pull it out before the tools get into the machine.

Very effective. Massive boost to sterile technique

Pictures attached to see the end product :)

On an additional note. If you sterilise glass pipettes with these, as well as the rubber aspirator or bulb, you can take sterile samples in front of a flowhood to do cell counts on liquid cultures and to ensure cleanliness of the culture.

post-14471-0-51673900-1411430341_thumb.j

post-14471-0-45491500-1411430353_thumb.j

post-14471-0-51673900-1411430341_thumb.jpg

post-14471-0-45491500-1411430353_thumb.jpg

post-14471-0-51673900-1411430341_thumb.jpg

post-14471-0-45491500-1411430353_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

that would have to be done in somewhat sterile conditions to say the inside contents are sterile, and everything you put inside of it would first have to be sterile as well

The bag is just for autoclaving and keeping the materials held inside and away from water in a pressure cooker.

it is so that you can take the bag AFTER you have sterilised the stuff inside and then spray it down in front of a hood or in a still air box. Then you can simply peel it back, discard the wrapping and you have your tools in a completely clean environment ready to go.

Pretty great idea, and a bit more professional than how I currently go about this...

Usually I'll just wrap whatever in foil, then oven bag it, then pc.. When ready to use, spray down oven bag, remove contents and unwrap etc.. But it gets messy.. I like this idea of yours!

I used to use the exact same technique and noticed that sometimes drops of water would get in or oven bags would occasionally break.

It just wasn't the nicest thing to work with. This is super cheap too. The laminator was about $25 and baking paper is cheap.

ahh i see what you mean, are you planning on doing these to sell or trade? if so id defiantly take a few off your hands