The Corroboree
Quixote

Discovery: San Pedro avoids light

Ok, so my trichs are in pretty intense direct sun most of the day, and the bridges seem to be leaning towards the direction of the sun, where the pachs are tending more away from it...

I moved a few of each into dappled shade today to see what difference it makes. If any.

• Like 1

my plants grow straight up, unless they were planted at an angle

As do mine....

• Like 2

Please remember that I'm talking about a Pach growing in a pot by the window. I'm sure that if we had the glorious sun you have down under, my cacti would also thrive outdoors and grow straight as arrows :)

once, at the begining of my relationship with cacti, I was told cacti grow only their at their appical (top/tip) meristems.. this is not exactly true... like every plant, and probably even more in the more evolved cacti, as they're more :modern: , cacti read enviroment data very well... a fine example of what I want to say is a minature pachanoi I have in a "bonzai" state , in a rather shady position (whitch btw Haworthias love) ... I have created this from an etiolated tip I rooted and maintained in shade...

bringing plants inside offers a possibility of sculpture and creation, alternating bright and shady for months on each side

In some cacti it looks like leaning may come from one side collapsing slightly and one side being fuller, in terms of water pressure...

Update: cacti that have put out basal pups have shown a distinct habit of leaning away from the location of the pups to make room for them to grow presumably.