The Corroboree
teonanacatl

Federal MP wants pot in supermarkets, hard drugs available for addicts to break crime rings

CANNABIS should be sold in supermarkets and hard drugs be available from the Government for heroin, cocaine and ice addicts under a federal MP’s radical drug reform plan.

Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm wants to kill the power of organised crime in Australia by decriminalising drugs, opening up the market and bringing down prices.

Senator Leyonhjelm said while it might not be smart to use marijuana, it was a harmless, non-addictive drug and should be openly available. His party’s philosophy is that if a person is not hurting anyone else, the Government should stay out of their business.

Like in the fruit-and-vegetable industry, farmers should grow cannabis for sale in supermarkets and other shops, he said. And anyone should be able to grow it in their garden.

Senator Leyonhjelm believes the same open slather availability could be possible for party drugs, such as ecstasy, as long as it can be proven the only real risk is to the person taking it.

“I’m not saying they’re safe, I don’t recommend them, advise them, endorse them, no,” he said. “All I’m really saying is it’s an individual, adult choice.”

For hardcore, addictive drugs, the NSW politician suggests the Government stop wasting millions on chasing crime gangs peddling drugs and peddle them itself.

Under a “harm minimisation” model, registered addicts would get replacement drugs, such as methadone or “other options”, erasing the need to pay up big to criminals.

In the days of legal opium smoking, people lived their whole lives addicted to heroin, he said. “Because supply was never restricted, they lived a normal life and they functioned quite well.”

He said while being an addict was “not ideal”, it wasn’t destructive until you added in the desperate behaviour of scoring a fix.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/federal-mp-wants-pot-in-supermarkets-hard-drugs-available-for-addicts-to-break-crime-rings/story-fni0fit3-12

Positive step forward I think. I dont think 1900 opium addicts lived totally normal lives and functioned fine, but hey if its available and help is available then its better then what we have now.

Edited by teonanacatl
  • Like 7

Itll never happen but its nice to know at least some people in politics can see the reality of the situation and aren't afraid to speak about it.

• Like 5

CANNABIS should be sold in supermarkets and hard drugs be available from the Government for heroin, cocaine and ice addicts

Then we'd have celebrity endorsements for the woollies vs Coles brand battle, I wonder who they'd pick as their figureheads?

• Like 1

dick.gifimage.jpg

• Like 1

Supermarket cannabis is perhaps unlikely ; but countries such as USA , Spain , Portugal , Netherlands , etc , seem to be tackling the " problem " somewhat more sensibly than Australia ....

Our politicians appear to be unable to comprehend that prohibition only serves to create and encourage the scourge of organized crime . Nevertheless , despite decades of prohibition and political promises to eradicate illicit drugs , crime is booming and the place is flooded with illegal drugs .

Prohibition is a god-send to crime and criminals , creating the motivation by means of the massive profits from otherwise virtually worthless commodities .

Thanks to our politicians organized crime , drug trafficking , obscenely wealthy gangsters , and untold victims continues to snowball .

Drug trafficking and related crime is indeed a true Australian success story .

• Like 3

Supermarket cannabis is not the best retail model as far as I can see. Nevertheless cannabis reform is coming, and as I've said before, we can thank our nation, and the world's for that matter, for being a part of the idiotic economic rationalisation for everything, which in the end is the only reason it is coming. :unsure:

In a simple mathematical equation then:

Politician's actions/professed beliefs = $

and as cannabis can now, thanks to Colorado largely, be substituted in for $, we then have

Politician's actions/professed beliefs = cannabis (aka $) :huh:

Don't doubt the money hungry slut factor which our current excuse for leadership and governance is ruled by. Watch for the compassionate claims as a rationale to begin with, and then watch the floodgates open. It's simple maths really, as much as I wish it wasn't, and common sense or compassion don't really even come into it for government. Let's not kid ourselves. :blush:

Govs gotta get dat paper... and enter the cannabis prohibition endgame. :wink:

Now would certainly be the time to secure quality genetics for those that live in places that allow access to them because it wont be long before its all patented, trademarked and GMO'd etc.

Some of the big breeders are already adding terminator genes into trademarked seeds and moving over to Fem only.

Big business now has cannabis firmly set in its sights and they will want a stranglehold.

If I lived somewhere it was legal, I'd be grabbing all the landrace, heirloom and 'oldskool' genetics available from people like Sam, Shanti and other quality breeders before its too late.