The Corroboree
Chief

New to cactus, dont know where to start (Echinopsis pachanoi, Echinopsis peruviana)

Okay so i'm new to the cactus growing world, and am slightly confused when it comes the san pedro and peruvian torch cactus which they have listed on shaman australis with different names next to the species i.e. Echinopsis pachanoi 'mike' Echinopsis pachanoi 'rob' or Echinopsis pachanoi 'omar' are these different variety's/phenotypes or are they the same as the ones without the names next to them? Sorry if this is a rookie question im still waiting on my cactus book to arrive but still pretty keen to place an order with the confidence that im ordering the right species, really wanting a "true" san pedro and true peruvian torch.

Any links to info on this subject would be muchly appreciated or if you can answer this for me that would be great!

echinopsis pachanoi is the species, the name next to it is the "clone name", which means it's an identical clone (vegetative propagation) of a plant rather than being propagated by seed. the name i guess are really just designators to say which plant came from who and you'll find a lot of clones are quite similar but they're like tamagotchi when you get going.

echinopsis perivianus is a different species and generally has longer spines and is a bit more glaucus, i prefer nice blue peru to a pach personally,

there was a thread discussing the idea of clones vs seed propagated plants but a search should locate it i guess,

as far as "true" this or that well, that's a bone of contention

websites hmm,

eg's website trichocereus.net,

brett lothians blog trichoseriousethnobotany.blogspot.com,

keeper trouts http://www.largelyaccurateinformationmedia.com,

and of course this forum has all the information you could ask for.

Start with Sacred Suculents seed (its a shop in California), I would suggest tricho hybrids ( combinations with pach,peruv and bridge in all ways possible). Or you can also contact Zelly for his great crosses

Hey chief where are you located?? Perhaps you can put ur feelers out, meet someone and learn from them...

Edited by in_spirit

Thanks for the reply's! I thought the names might have just been where they came from/owner but had to ask as they do look slightly different which made me second guess myself. I would prefer to source them locally(Australia) but i might check out that site to see about peyote

Im from the sunshine coast if anyone feels like schooling a newbie :P

It probably doesnt matter what you start with, because, in all likelihood, you will catch the obsession and pretty soon you'll be collecting all sorts and types!

They're all cool!

Well i am mainly interested in peyote, san pedro and the peruvian torch because of their status in shamanic cultures because of the certain alkaloids they contain but i have seen that there are a few varieties of these I.E short spine, long spine, light colour, dark colour and i will be wanting to get a few examples of each although i think i might stick to these types i may broaden my interests as i read and learn more about cacti. I have just ordered Trouts notes on san pedro and related trichocereus species.

Edited by Chief

Hi Chief, please note that the discussion of Potency and Ingestion is not allowed here. But i am sure that Trouts books will absolutely contain enough Info to answer most of your Questions. If you have botanical Questions, don´t hesitate to ask them here though. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

Hi Chief, please note that the discussion of Potency and Ingestion is not allowed here. But i am sure that Trouts books will absolutely contain enough Info to answer most of your Questions. If you have botanical Questions, don´t hesitate to ask them here though. bye EG

Thanks for the heads up i didn't know the contents of the cacti was a no go zone so its duly noted, although i don't think i've pushed the envelope i will go over the rules to make sure i haven't over looked anything else. Im hopeing that trouts notes do mention the different varieties of each E.pachanoi, E.peruviana and E.lageniformis as this is what i would like to know more about.

Thanks again for your reply, Chief

Edited by Chief