The Corroboree
myco

Fading labels

i dunno if this should really be here didnt know where else to put it

the labels are on cacti so i just came straight here if mod wants to move it to somewhere more appropriate that would be great

anyway im always having my names on my labels fade my hothouse is not as much of a problem as theyre all pretty protected in there

however everything outside is constantly fading even with a permanent marker its really starting to piss me off now as i just cant keep up with it sometimes i've just found a whole bunch of trich X's and all the labels have faded i cant even read half of them to rewrite the names

has somebody got some better way of keeping track of whats what some kind of magical pen that doesnt fade away

this is driving me insane haha

rant over please help me :)

someone was talking bout a special pencil... i forgot what tho...

I have a ton of grafts in styro and I write on them with ballpoint... the ink fails eventually, but it leaves an indention in the styro which

is legible lol

hair spray over the tags should keep them from fading

or maybe get some graffiti ink as it is made to last and to stain things and then put it in a small marker

• Like 1

I got some aluminum ones from ebay that are very very thin metal and when you write on them with a ball point pen it embosses/imprints them so they cannot possibly fade. (but you can't really re-use it for a different plant either). So i quite like those. After embossing/imprinting I usually trace back over it with a permanent marker so it's easier to read from a distance.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plant-Labels-Metal-Tags-Australian-Quality-/140972887241?pt=AU_Pots_Planters&var=&hash=item20d2a38cc9

Disclaimer - I'm not the seller and I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

I'm sure this style is available elsewhere too. I also know some people (zelly, I think...), suggests using an aluminum drink can and cutting it up but that seems like too much hard work and it would be easy to cut yourself on it during the crafting process, but the end result is the same.

• Like 1

I used to use a pen but had and have the same problem. I now just use a pencil 2b or similar works well. And it doesn't fade.

• Like 3

I used to use a pen but had and have the same problem. I now just use a pencil 2b or similar works well. And it doesn't fade.

I've seen a few people say this about pencil but the ones I tried on plastic labels with pencil faded faster by far than any other methods I've used. I figured maybe the rain could be washing them off or something. It was a good thing I took pictures of the plants with labels in case I couldn't remember what they were.

I've seen a few people say this about pencil but the ones I tried on plastic labels with pencil faded faster by far than any other methods I've used. I figured maybe the rain could be washing them off or something. It was a good thing I took pictures of the plants with labels in case I couldn't remember what they were.

I find graphite pencils the best, lick the tip n it will be dark as and last for ages

Pencil solves your Problem! Most people i know use em, if they don´t use laminated Computerwritten Labels.

cheers for the suggestions guys i think i might try out those metal ones zed suggested for now

but i think in the long run i might have to look into a decent printer i'd been considering it before it would be handy and easy

For pots i am keeping i use either old aluminium blinds and a harden steel scribe to write on them.

Or 1.5 - 2mm UV stable plastic tags that i "write" on with a soldering iron, works great on aquatics as algae grow in the grove so a quick wipe & the name jumps out at you.

I use a thick soft pencil like a 2B on plastic tags but I always sand the tags with medium - fine sandpaper before I write on them.

The rough surface allows a thick layer of graphite to be laid down on the tag, which really seems to last.

Sandpaper is also a good way to clean up old tags before writing on them again.

• Like 2

Push the entire tag under the surface of the soil. Except the first 1-2 mm. The texta doesn't fade.

Putting clear nail polish over it would work i guess!

There are special markers with uv-proof ink, but they are $$. I used one when I was labeling trees in a botanical garden. 4 years after the lables are still readable ( the ones that didn't get stolen)

I've tried cutting up old coloured pots for labels. They are pretty good but they do tend to get brittle and eventually break.

It would be good to re-use those black forestry tubes when the bottoms break out, I can't think of any other use for them.

I use plastic knives ($.02 each) and wrap a few layers of aluminum tape around the top.

I write on the blade with a Sharpie marker and put the blade in the soil. It doesn't fade when it's underground.

I write on the foil with a pencil or pen and it leaves an indentation.

Since most of the plastic is either underground or wrapped in aluminum tape, it doesn't degrade much in the sun.

I came up with a very low tech way to deal with that. I simply write a nuber on the pot with a marker pen, somewhere it's out of reach from sun and rain, and just make a list in txt document, assinging the number to a plant name, Lasts for years this way, and it's very easy to go over the fading numbers after a few years.

• Like 1

^^ I initially gave that a go, but after awhile but quickly abandoned the idea as it wasnt helping the memory department.....trying to correlate a number to an assigned name.......when theres thousands of pots to keep track of.....and then i misplaced the listing....

nowadays plants in pots get plastic labels marked with lead pencils and plants in the ground get their picture taken & the picture is labeled. Several labeled photos can encompass an entire collection.

• Like 1