The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

WTF is this? Reishi?

Hey folks

Been messing with this weird culture someone sent me a while back that I think has been mislabeled. Mycelium is kind shiny white and very fast, linear then creating ridges, covers the plate then exudes volumes of liquid metabolite like ive never seen.

I ran a few bags of it and it was very quick - outpacing an oyster strain that is itself pretty damn fast. By this stage I was almost certain it was not the mushroom it had been labelled as.

Now cased it has started throwing up these rather odd structures that a friend tells me is probably Ganoderma of some description:

post-3828-0-75432200-1409207398_thumb.jp

post-3828-0-81934100-1409207407_thumb.jp

1. anyone agree - i guess its a little early to tell but just curious

2. is anyone interested in jars of spawn of this - i have about nine and I have no intention of growing this mushroom really. They would be at price of postage only (free to good home).

post-3828-0-75432200-1409207398_thumb.jpg

post-3828-0-81934100-1409207407_thumb.jpg

post-3828-0-75432200-1409207398_thumb.jpg

post-3828-0-81934100-1409207407_thumb.jpg

It could be any polypore at this point. Ganoderma is very likely, but Trametes versicolor is also possible. Mycelium description also points at that direction. I tried to remember more after we talked, and I believe that my culture that turned out to be T. versicolor also produced tons of metabolites. You should be able to tell for sure soon enough, please post some pictures when the fruiting body starts to get some colour.

Will do :) thanks for the info. Probably a little early but i had a spare hour today so thought id post it,

I would say no to Gandoderma lucidum. The times I have grown reishi the crusty outer shell of the block has been more of a red/brown. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong though.

two rules of mycelium engagement.

1. always mark cultures as transfers are made.

2 .always grow out cultures from others, before sharing. (just in case rule 1 was ignored by them).

Edited by lindsay
  • Like 1

Once purchased a reishi spore syringe only to discover that the vendor had accidentally mixed up their cubensis spores with their reishi ... cubes can grow just fine on wood, but they're just not nearly as vigorous as they would be on other substrate.

Edited by Coja

It basically grew out as a thin reishi type thing - long and skinny, red with a white tip. I chucked the bags and jars in the garden as I dont really know what it is other than fast.

two rules of mycelium engagement.

1. always mark cultures as transfers are made.

2 .always grow out cultures from others, before sharing. (just in case rule 1 was ignored by them).

LOL too good, happened to me once!