The Corroboree
Kent

Anonymous Friend No More.

I went to the bakery in the nearest town and there was sign on the wall which said 'Anonymous Friends TM'. So I asked what it meant and was told that customers pay for food items and they give them to people 'doing it hard'. So I paid for a loaf of bread and the money went into the till and nothing was recorded. I asked how they knew who was doing it hard and the lady said they usually knew who they were.

A week later I paid for a loaf for a 'needy person' and the money went in the till and nothing recorded. I asked how they knew how much credit they had for needy people and was told that I had to have a card and they kept a record on it but they had run out of cards. I asked that lady how she recognised a needy person and she said they give it to the next person. (Hugh???). So I asked if I looked like a needy person and she said yes (!!). Oh great, I thought; my menopausal last wife used to say that I was an ugly, worthless loser (even though she's got a nice home) and now the bakery puts the boot in. So that's it, I'm not feeding the next parasite who walks through the door. They should call it Anonymous Suckers.

We used to manage non-holiday caravan parks and the real needy people used to pay their rent on time and never ask for help. One single mother stayed for a month, milked all the churches and charities and moved on. The Salvos came into the office once with a box of groceries for a tenant. They asked my wife where he was and she said that he was walking through the gate with a carton on his shoulder so they left. Another tenant used to get $300 every 6 months from Centrelink to buy clothes and shoes for job interviews but always blew it in 2 days on spirits. What a joke. Centrelink should have insisted on the receipts.

Mr Abbott wants the unemployed to apply for 40 jobs per month, but lot of people are chronically unemployable due to various reasons such as poor literacy and numeracy skills. Some deliberately make themselves unattractive to employers. I saw a bunch of very colourful and heavily pierced punk rockers once - they wouldn't get a job at Wallace Bishop. In a small country town there won't be many jobs and employers would get sick of seeing the same applicants every week. A psychologist once said that people shouldn't be expected to leave their social networks, but it's our taxes and I think they should. Work for the dole didn't work before because of the cost of organising it and transporting workers. In the late '60s and '70s bunches of surfies used to rent houses at Byron Bay on the dole. Some gave their occupations as glassblowers and lion tamers to avoid work. Maybe compulsory education and job training is the answer. %10 of our fruit and vegetables doesn't get picked due to lack of labour. I don't see the point of importing islander workers for farms. Maybe you people have some ideas.

Kent.

Kent I'm sorry to hear of your aggravation. It is a bit depressing seeing the scams existing in day to day life and the people exploiting scenarios of good will. Certainly does demotivate people from acting in good will. As for the working for the doll business I'm not sure man.

See I have laboured for concreters, plasterers, brick layers and lots of others. A common saying was "work smart not hard". However now that I'm studying engineering at uni I'm starting to realise that our whole society ignores this advice. There is a misconception at the moment about what achieves goals. Earning money? or Actually achieving the goal? It's a pretty simple answer. An example is that at the moment the Australian economy is pushing all manufacturing overseas due to the boogie monster "minimum wage". However lets say we replaced the aprx. 2000 labourers in a factory with 10-20 engineers and implemented automation, the work would be of a higher standard, less wasteful on materials, faster production, lower running costs, less carbon footprint (as 2000 people would not be to and from work everyday) and 2000 hands free in society. Notice I said free. Also I'm not saying that I agree with the current urgency of manufacturing because quite frankly i think the rate of production is terrifying. Planned obsolesence and materialistic madness ewwuck.

Peoples response to this idea is ussualy "well how are those 2000 people meant to earn a living if they are replaced by machines?" I say if we have decreased costs and increased productivity... why do they need to earn a living?

Edited by noisyturtle
  • Like 3

I would also like to add that if they really want to contribute and not just show up and slave over a soul killing job, they could grow fruit and veg in their local community (as the decentralisation of the agriculture industry is a real necessity), they could become bilingual as international relations is extremely downplayed in the ethos of our race at the moment, or maybe they could spend their time with their families? there are three quick examples of a practical alternative to the earth damaging behaviour we call "work, progress or economic growth" today.

Edited by noisyturtle
  • Like 2

people often lament automation taking people s jobs, but think of how many were emplyed to research, develop and build a self driving truck vs the 3 people max who would be driving it otherwise. same goes for other tech. continuing inefficient industries purely to keep people employed is not a beneficial scenario in the long term.

work for the dole never worked anywhere, it's been comprehensively demonstrated to be a program which does not assist in getting people back to work.

• Like 5

Way to go to slag off people who don't look like you right now and who might be doing things you disapprove of! Feel free to make as many assumptions about them as you like

Last time I was in SYD I saw this rich fulla get his car door opened by some lackey in a suit, and I thought, hey, I bet he's a corrupt prick, all those suit blokes are, I read it in the paper and there was something on the news, there is all the time. He's a criminal for sure, and he had a nice haircut to prove it, really slick

He's probably come from a lunch that my taxes paid for and made some deal with the minister and now his coal mine's approved and all the local agriculture will be fucked by the mess and subsidence. I bet he voted for Abbott too, and his wife's at home having her nails done by the pool bloke while the kids take their gold plated iPads to a life's journey of eternal privilege. This prick has it really easy and always will have even though he doesn't deserve it.

Lots of the taxes I pay get used so corrupt pricks like this can make deals over lunch and make millions while everyone else has to work for . All those suit blokes, they're all the same. I'll stop paying my taxes

See what I did here?

• Like 8

You are right about some people scamming but, if work for dole is implemented then companies will move to get the free labor of the welfare system which will effectively remove more jobs from the system.. Where are all the jobs the people -and i include myself here 'unemployed' - that people are supposed to apply fot, fuck off abbot and all other politicians.. The farms, well, farmers contract to the retailers woolies, coles etc the big players, they contract in a way that is wasteful and the fruit and veg ' isn't picked because of a lack of labo ' but due to contract. They are forced to leave fruit and veg to rot on the ground just so the retailer can keep prices inflated. Often the farmer is required to spray the plants after first pick so they cant do a second pick and sellbroadside..

I live in rural Australia and have spoken with the farmers, its a bullshit system. One old guy i met told me he would pick his crops, and what wasn't needed he would take to the hospital and donate it to them, but the hospital got pissed at that, who'd figure, they have to buy food???

.... Everything is a lie.

• Like 2

Its nothing more than legitimized slave labor and once a person gets stuck in its cycle it becomes a very hard place to get out of without some genuine help and money.

And thats just the way they want it. Food stamp will probably come next.

All you have to do is go back into US history 2 or 3 decades and you can see the template for all the same shit they are trying to pull on us now in Aus..

• Like 3

you seek to make a distinction between people doing it hard and people not doing it hard. so, where, in your opinion, should the line be drawn?

I'm by no means impoverished, but a loaf of bread given to me by my bakery paid for by the last bloke who could spare a few bob would always be appreciated. if i participated in such a scheme and donated a loaf's worth, i would be happy for it to go to the next banker, lawyer or politician who walked in if it meant he could save breaking another greenback to get a bottle of milk on the way home. relative to that person, they were doing it hard, and in that scenario i would have helped a person on their day. isn't that the whole idea?

i understand the gripe with the bakery not taking note etc, as it's possible they aren't handing out free loafs at all and if they are they don't seem to be doing it efficiently, but, give old average joe a break. they worked hard to go through law school, sit through tattoo and piercing sessions, master a video game, start a family or anything else. everyone has it hard, do as jesus did and give them a break...

edit: just had a look at the 'anonymous friends' facebook page, it appears to be about random acts of kindness rather than helping a particular socioeconomic group. a bakery is mentioned also, and it appears they specificaly package a loaf in a 'pay it forward' bag and give it to the next person who asks for that variety of loaf. seems nice enough to me...

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 1

• Like 4

People are entitled to their subcultures as long as it doesn't cause trouble for others. I was served in a plumbing store by a man with a mohawk and piercings who may well ornament himself more and be a rocker on the weekend but not many restaurants would give him a job. That's his scene, I don't care. If I had another retail business I would be happy to employ an Indian woman in a sari or a Sikh man with his headdress, but where does one draw the line?. Many jobs require dress standards; clubs, schools and restaurants have them. Sikh men will not leave their homes without headdress and therefore are denied entry to RSL clubs, even if they served in wars for Britain. It's not discrimination.

The feds want this country to be multicultural but Western dress is still the norm. A man in a western suit but having face tattoos (ethnic or otherwise) will not apply for a job as a flight attendant. I'm not saying all punk rockers don't work. Some bikies have normal jobs but don't wear their 'colours' (badges) for obvious reasons. The local paper said there are 100 jobs in Rockhampton and employers told it that dress is their main consideration. Anyway, it's my experience in caravan parks that it's not attire or tattoos that's the main problem, it's the desire to work. There was a metal machinist in the news who is losing his job when Holden closes. Uprooting his family would be pretty bad, but single people should be encouraged to move. There are mine jobs in Western Oz and a mine machinery training company in Gladstone, Qld will train people who can't even ride a bicycle and get them jobs. I think they pay the cost and contract out the workers. Women are driving mine trucks in Central Qld and have special home-friendly 6 hour shifts. A few years in the Pilbara and a young couple could buy a home.

A current affairs show found jobs for some Melbourne siblings on a Qld resort island but they all refused to move. If they want social security they can go to college because the country's broke. A young man from Melbourne found out about it and got a job with no experience. Some employers have taken on work experience people and sacked them when the subsidies ended which probably didn't do their morale much good. Darklight is right though, there is a lot of ripping off going on. My doctor only gives me 2 repeat scripts so I have to see him more often than necessary. It's called overservicing. When I'm away from home other doctors give me 6. Sometimes I think the government does to too much for people. A plumber on wages told me that with the dole and family benefits he may as well not work. A young woman on TV said that with the cost of makeup and travel she was worse off financially than working.

It's good to get other people's opinions and if I'm wrong expect to be told. On a more positive note, migrants in general are very good workers and keen to get ahead. They contribute a lot to our wealth and many own small businesses and have a high degree of home ownership.

Kent.

Edited by Kent

mmm im not so sure "A current affairs" is a pinnacle of un bias journalism without an ideological bent. There is a lot of ripping off going on? congratulations and welcome to the nature of humanity lol perhaps its not easy but ethnicity, religion even "subculture" is no limitation to greed and being a generally dodgy fucker. Not really sure what the point of this rant is lol you dont like immigrants? punks? bludgers? The statistics generally speak for themselves the last look was 750k (possibly 1million as it doesnt include those currently employed but looking for better paid work, career change etc) to 150k available jobs, a seeming disparity to be sure. there has been much talk of what to do training education, stimulating the economy to create employment etc. the main point though is there needs to be jobs there to fill otherwise the education/training etc becomes useless productivity.

Manufacturing has been dieing in Oz since the 70's its really not unlike what happened in the states, blue collar work at one time was one of the best payed positions to have abattoirs, auto industry etc. It became easier to source and invest capital offshore where trivial aspects such as minimum wage, working conditions etc arent so much a priority as the bottom line is. The mining sector is starting to slow down due to the high ozzy dollar among other things like investment etc, everyone champions this australian institution that is largely owned by and profits flow offshore, the employment rate compared to the rest of the country is around 0.1% if that and of those jobs most are highly skilled engineers, fitters & turners, diesel mechanics, geologists etc. An interesting recent example is in Nhulunbuy NT Rio Tinto is closing down one of there mines and pretty much ditching the town to fend for itself this town was basically built on the mining industry.

There is a Government incentive for people who move for work, not sure on the specifics but apparently does help with the associated costs, generally i think more so then the costs especially these days is the uncertainty of the job market and positions arent like the good ole days where you were basically guaranteed employment till retirement age

People are entitled to their subcultures as long as it doesn't cause trouble for others.

I am glad everyone has your permission then.....

• Like 4

You're channelling "A Current Affair" from 1996 as credible evidence of anything?

Have we been infiltrated by the Young Liberal Party or something?

You do know what this site is about, right? ;)

People are entitled to their subcultures as long as it doesn't cause trouble for others. I was served in a plumbing store by a man with a mohawk and piercings who may well ornament himself more and be a rocker on the weekend but not many restaurants would give him a job. That's his scene, I don't care. If I had another retail business I would be happy to employ an Indian woman in a sari or a Seikh man with his headdress, but where does one draw the line?. Many jobs require dress standards; clubs, schools and restaurants have them. Seikh men will not leave their homes without headdress and therefore are denied entry to RSL clubs, even if they served in wars for Britain. It's not discrimination.

The feds want this country to be multicultural but Western dress is still the norm. A man in a western suit but having face tattoos (ethnic or otherwise) will not apply for a job as a flight attendant. I'm not saying all punk rockers don't work. Some bikies have normal jobs but don't wear their 'colours' (badges) for obvious reasons. The local paper said there are 100 jobs in Rockhampton and employers told it that dress is their main consideration. Anyway, it's my experience in caravan parks that it's not attire or tattoos that's the main problem, it's the desire to work. There was a metal machinist in the news who is losing his job when Holden closes. Uprooting his family would be pretty bad, but single people should be encouraged to move. There are mine jobs in Western Oz and a mine machinery training company in Gladstone, Qld will train people who can't even ride a bicycle and get them jobs. I think they pay the cost and contract out the workers. Women are driving mine trucks in Central Qld and have special home-friendly 6 hour shifts. A few years in the Pilbara and a young couple could buy a home.

A current affairs show found jobs for some Melbourne siblings on a Qld resort island but they all refused to move. If they want social security they can go to college because the country's broke. A young man from Melbourne found out about it and got a job with no experience. Some employers have taken on work experience people and sacked them when the subsidies ended which probably didn't do their morale much good. Darklight is right though, there is a lot of ripping off going on. My doctor only gives me 2 repeat scripts so I have to see him more often than necessary. It's called overservicing. When I'm away from home other doctors give me 6. Sometimes I think the government does to too much for people. A plumber on wages told me that with the dole and family benefits he may as well not work. A young woman on TV said that with the cost of makeup and travel she was worse off financially than working.

It's good to get other people's opinions and if I'm wrong expect to be told. On a more positive note, migrants in general are very good workers and keen to get ahead. They contribute a lot to our wealth and many own small businesses and have a high degree of home ownership.

Kent.

You're wrong, I'm prolly not the only person who will tell you that. I'm sure you won't find it terminally wounding or anything

• Like 1

Tell me Kent that you don't hold the opinion of a current affair with much regard.

• Like 1

Buddy every man and his dog around here is applying to get into the mines around australia. it's not as easy as u make it out to be.

There can be a vast difference between a person who is in a bad situation and a person who choses to be in that situation. Some people choose to be in a poor situation and still have some moral reasoning, only applying for the assistance they need. Others explore every option to exploit whether it is needed or not.

These entitlements extend far further than just money and housing. Sometimes these people surprise me with their vast knowledge of everything they are entitled too. I cant help but think if they put that commitment and determination into any career they would be very successful.

At some time or another many will find themselves in a bad situation or just need time to find their feet. Everyone benefits greatly from helping these people out in ways well beyond the scope of my comments. People who genuinely think the world owes them something and are happy to exploit anything for their own personal gain can be sick to the core and beyond help in most cases in my opinion. Im not speaking of people who exploit out of desperation but those who genuinely beleive they are entitled to exploit.

Unfortunately due to these few people and the need to get them out of the system unfair expectations are placed on all others.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

There can be a vast difference between a person who is in a bad situation and a person who choses to be in that situation. Some people choose to be in a poor situation and still have some moral reasoning, only applying for the assistance they need. Others explore every option to exploit whether it is needed or not.

These entitlements extend far further than just money and housing. Sometimes these people surprise me with their vast knowledge of everything they are entitled too. I cant help but think if they put that commitment and determination into any career they would be very successful.

At some time or another many will find themselves in a bad situation or just need time to find their feet. Everyone benefits greatly from helping these people out in ways well beyond the scope of my comments. People who genuinely think the world owes them something and are happy to exploit anything for their own personal gain can be sick to the core and beyond help in most cases in my opinion. Im not speaking of people who exploit out of desperation but those who genuinely beleive they are entitled to exploit.

I cant say i agree with you my friend. I personally have a very different opinion towards the operation of the mind of people and I can't say there is any evidence in any situation to lead anyone to believe that people choose to be in a bad situation. They may make poor decisions but these are possibly related to the infinite number of variables in someones life that equip them in ways to deal with different situations. The people you say choose a bad situation, I would say they were ill-equiped to pick the later.

• Like 1

I would agree with rigger's comments, there are people in Australia who are proud to be dole bluggers & genuinely think they are smarter than others who work hard to scrape by on a wage. The thing that scares me most about this is these people are having children & raising them to think this way & with the same shitty morels!

• Like 1

Deny everything.

I would agree with rigger's comments, there are people in Australia who are proud to be dole bluggers & genuinely think they are smarter than others who work hard to scrape by on a wage. The thing that scares me most about this is these people are having children & raising them to think this way & with the same shitty morels!

Geez, have you seen what's going on with ICAC lately? Ripoffs aren't just confined to the ranks of the poor. Some of our most wealthy have an overwhelming sense of entitlement and have no compunctions about using their advantage to the detriment of others

If you're only singing the song of the Murdoch press and kicking the poor, who, at an estimate are ripping off proportionally way less than the knaves of the wealthy elite ( who, remember, already have food/shelter/security )- then may I commend you to Gina Rinehart's $2 a day salary recommendation for her serfs toiling below ground

Edited by Darklight
  • Like 6

I would agree with rigger's comments, there are people in Australia who are proud to be rich cunts dole bluggers & genuinely think they are smarter than others who work hard to scrape by on a wage. The thing that scares me most about this is these people are having children & raising them to think this way & with the same shitty morels!

With these few small corrections, I would agree wholeheartedly with your statement. :P

No, not really. Some people are fuckwits, some people will do their very best to exploit whatever situation they find themselves in, regardless of whether they actually need the money, power or equivalent. I personally have encountered more rich self-entitled fucknuts than poor ones, but they exist at all levels of the socioeconomic ladder, and most of them will continue to behave as fucknuts no matter how their bank balance might rise or fall. People can be shit. Did we really need A Current Affair to tell us that?

Also, mmm....morels.

Although if they're going to be shitty morels, then I take your point. If dole bludgers are raising children who degrade the overall standard of Australian Morchella species, then yeah, string the fuckers up!

• Like 6

Also, mmm....morels.

Although if they're going to be shitty morels, then I take your point. If dole bludgers are raising children who degrade the overall standard of Australian Morchella species, then yeah, string the fuckers up!

Love yer work :D

Also, mmm....morels.

LOL, sorry for my shitty spelling.

Geez, have you seen what's going on with ICAC lately? Ripoffs aren't just confined to the ranks of the poor. Some of our most wealthy have an overwhelming sense of entitlement and have no compunctions about using their advantage to the detriment of others

If you're only singing the song of the Murdoch press and kicking the poor, who, at an estimate are ripping off proportionally way less than the knaves of the wealthy elite ( who, remember, already have food/shelter/security )- then may I commend you to Gina Rinehart's $2 a day salary recommendation for her serfs toiling below ground

I understand why you & Anodyne replied to my comment as I do sound very one sided. I am fully aware that some most of the biggest crooks are the wealthy. My comment was based on a conversation I have with one off my relatives who is a single mother & thinks she is very smart living in a government house paying cheap rent collecting money for her two children which she proudly tells us she had for the money, she is happy to steal at any opportunity & now gets her kids to help :(. Anyway enough of that, I am sorry for the way I came across.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1