The Corroboree

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has been doing any black soldier fly larvae harvesting...

It's captured my interest quite a bit of recent, an am thinking of integrating it into the aquaponics set up to reclaim any wasted food into high protein fish food.

If any one hasn't come across them heres a quick look -

The really cool thing about them is their life cycle that allows for self harvesting. -- Once they reach a mature size after eating plenty in the compost, they seek higher ground (a ramp) to begin the stage where they pupate and turn into little flys...But instead they just crawl up the ramp into a bucket ready for collection.

What I was hoping, was if somebodywho has an already established population of them, might be able to share/exchange some to kickstart my own project...SPeeding it from 3-4 months to under 1.

I'd highly recommend you all check them out. They're a really high source of protein fat and oil..and are absolute machines when it comes to breaking food scraps down.

a fun video..

Hi Luke,

The easiest way to get Bsf larvae is to start a composting worm farm, guaranteed come summer your worm farm will get overun with Bsf larvae!

Have not been clever enough to build a proper self harvester that works myself, but they are definitely still resident in the worm bin

Could dig out a few for ya but they aren't exactly swarming at moments as its winter

Also im not sure a few larvae will help, as the trick to success is attracting the flys back to the chamber to lay eggs, eggs is what your really after

Hopefully someone else has more experience with this to help, if not drop us a pm

I put out scraps into a bucket before its full enough to walk it to the compost pile ... if I don't put a lid on it they show up and eat like mad...

so if they're in the area and you have food scraps just put them outside in a bucket where the smell won't be a bother and they'll show up... I'm only putting veggies and fruits , rotten stuff but I heard they'll eat meats and breads too

the problem for me is they don't leave much behind alot of the energy goes into their growth and so not the best for composting... i'd shit

if they got in my worm bin lol I don't care for them but do they seem to repel housefly maggots which is a plus

the flies are cool lookin. they only live for a day I think and their purpose in life is secks

Edited by Spine Collector