The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

'Popping the question', ideas, advice, stories :)

Well the title says it all.

I'd love to hear all our funny/ interesting/ tragic stories involving proposal.

Was yours a memorable moment???

And certainly, for someone planning 'the big question', any ideas or advice is also muchly appreciated :)

marry-prop-1-.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Mine was romantic, knocked her up and said, i guess we should get married.!

still happily married 7 years later with 2 kids... still owe her a honeymoon....

• Like 8

Do it when they are having a bit of a tantrum/woman moment and they'll feel so guilty they have to say yes!!

• Like 2

From a probability standpoint, the best way to avoid a no is to have no consultation process. Maybe just slip the ring on while she's sleeping, and when she wakes up convince her that she got really drunk and married you.

LOL...but nah I have no experience here. It's great that you're in a place to be thinking about it though man, congrats :)

• Like 1

I made a bit of an effort. I stayed home one day while she was at work and planted the words "Marry Me" in our back lawn using about 200 punnets of flowering annuals to construct massive letters. She came home and went outside and saw it, I got down on one knee, presented the ring and asked her to marry me. She said yes :)

Our chick friends all said it was awesome. Our guy friends still give me shit for it, lol.

I figure you only do it once so make it memorable, if she would like that sort of thing. I think most women would appreciate the attention.

My advice would be to make it personal. Not all women would appreciate some massive public display with an audience etc. I'm obviously a mad keen gardener so the plant thing worked well, was private, and was fun. And a great excuse to spend a few hundred bucks on plants!

Good luck!

• Like 10

I live in the states so my advice would be put it in a contract :P

something like:

WILL YOU MARRY ME? Yes____ No ____

terms & conditions: mumbo jumbo mumbo jumbo mumbo jumbo

Sign here please ____________________

P.S. if we get divorced you can't have my shit but i'll be fair with the kiddos

laffs...

my only advice is don't marry someone you'd ever divorce

I almost got married once and now I realize why she was in

my dream last night! cause I saw this thread

really late... lol

laff again

Lastly I would never put the question on a hot air balloon cause what if she's nuts and literally decided

to pop the question! but maybe put it in a regular balloon if you are the corny type lol

best of luck w/that really

cheers

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 2

Haven't u just met this chick?

• Like 1

Haven't u just met this chick?

I didn't wanna say it, but was thinking the same as incog. It takes a long time to really know someone.

I'm personally biased against marriage but I have always thought the pagan 'hand-fasting' concept is pretty great. Basically it's the same as a marriage ceremony, a celebration of your love and commitment to each other, but you are making a commitment for one year and one day, and at the end of that time together you can either renew your commitment for another year and a day with another ceremony, or part ways if things haven't eventuated how you had envisioned.

Anyways just an alternative thought, that's choice for you HD, she must be a real gem :)

• Like 2

Proposed in Melbourne, hired one of those horse and carraiges on the main street down there, got going but I had no idea my wife is allergic to horses.....So she starts sneezing, eyes watering, you know the whole allergic reaction thing. I quickly get down onto my knee to propose so we can get off. The carraige hits a bump and the damn ring goes flying out of my hand!!. So im scrounging around on the floor of this horse carraige looking for the ring, my wife is sneezing uncontrollably and the driver had no idea any of this is going on lol. Well I found the ring, popped the question and she said yes but I couldnt tell if the tears were from my proposeal or the horse lol. makes for a good story though

• Like 4

I was quite casual about it....we were sitting in a car at a truck stop 8 years ago. Make it special or you will be reminded about your lack of effort.

• Like 3

don't let me discourage you, I'm personally biased against marriage too. My folks have been together 45 years, they have a great relationship & still very clearly love each other deeply. They got married 2 years ago because my mum was sick of the inconvenience of her bank accounts & everything as she started using my dads name 40 years ago.

Meanwhile i've seen almost every single one of my friends married parents divorce & all sorts of messed up shit that goes with it.

In my direct experience this makes marriage seem like a sham. I've also just never understood why people see it as so romantic & lovely. To me it seems the opposite.

Contractualising love seems to be the antithesis of what i feel is a beautiful & sacred thing. covering up this cold bureaucratic legal documentation process in a veil of 'romance' seems like a serious sham & to me, if you get where i'm coming from, is a clear symbol of whats horribly wrong with modern humanity.

Obviously this is subjective, i was brought up a certain way that probably led to this view. I don't at all intend to be a downer. What you're actually saying is you love someone profoundly & i'd never ridicule that! I'm really happy for you HD

• Like 1

Before you think about getting married, you should probably watch this video. It is everything you need to know about women

• Like 3

LOL That's hilarious coolname, not sure where I fit into that last one, the fun zone maybe :P

Personally I'm not about to propose any time soon but we're both starting to get rather interested in the idea.

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'research' anyway.

Keep up the great stories, i'm quite enjoying this

And she's definitely a 'Unicorn' by the way... :wub:

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Sarc on/ You could just find a woman you despise and give her half your wealth and belongings now and be done with it/ Sarc off.

To be fair I have never been in that situation..

In all seriousness I asked my GF to marry me back in March after I was off at sea for a month for work. There were no grand gestures, I popped the question at the arrivals at the airport.

Love the hot/crazy matrix :lol:

I live in the states so my advice would be put it in a contract :P

something like:

WILL YOU MARRY ME? Yes____ No ____

terms & conditions: mumbo jumbo mumbo jumbo mumbo jumbo

Sign here please ____________________

P.S. if we get divorced you can't have my shit but i'll be fair with the kiddos

laffs...

my only advice is don't marry someone you'd ever divorce

I almost got married once and now I realize why she was in

my dream last night! cause I saw this thread

really late... lol

laff again

Lastly I would never put the question on a hot air balloon cause what if she's nuts and literally decided

to pop the question! but maybe put it in a regular balloon if you are the corny type lol

best of luck w/that really

cheers

so true

>eth it's hard for a swift and adept generation to even contemplate such matters but personally, i still fully believe in true love. dunna even thunk thrice about such matrimonal hormanl stirings if you are slightly perturbed by yor better arf. without commitment you wouldn't even see a cactoose seed to fruition of flower , so i reckon go do it.

i've been with my petal for over 20years and she's all i see when i'm in a foggy daze.

you are a such a romantic hd

i proposed with a massive diamondy rock finger hugger only after ten years of

swimmimg in the "i'm hooked ocean". a piece of paper people say, "that's all it is"

:wub:

der.

if i could do it again, i'd regret nothing.

Edited by cheshire
  • Like 3

There's a fine line between 'romantic' and epic failure.

i-dont-care-18wtmk.png

• Like 2

not to water it down but marriage, frankly is a 3 party contract between man woman and state

or in cali it can be a man a man and the state or a woman and a woman and the state :P I never even

brought up marriage w/my ex she brought it up and part of it was that she was desperate to make

this a permanent residence for her daughters.. but she ended up running back to columbia with the post man

or so I heard.. anyways im super glad I didn't rush in

here's a guy that might have rushed in too fast

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/man-fakes-death-to-avoid-marriage/27611370

@ what Ceres said, not only does it take a long time to really know someone, but you have to live with them

a long time to really know how they live but anyone who has had a roomate has probably figured that out

if theres one thing I do believe is that ppl are meant to cross paths sometimes and perhaps even pair up,,,

I have met those couples that match each other so well that it hurts to look at lol the ladies love that

stuff but me im like woo fucking hoo :P More often tho I've met the miserable ones with invisible chains..

Marriage isn't for me I don't think but here if you live with a chic for more than 6 months it becomes a common

law marriage and theres no shortage of whores that want to fully take advantage of that its just sad how

the laws create opportunities for twisted social scenarios but its a fact of life in this culture...

Time for some Elvis ...

Edited by Spine Collector

This is awesome Daze. I'm tearing up :P Im sure you'll work it out. Even if i did give you advice I would advice that you don't listen to it haha.

P.S. coolname that clip is frigen halarious