The Corroboree
FancyPants

sassafras other roa?

I found some jars of s. albidum powder I've had sitting around for ages and thought I'd give it another go as the last time I used it was putting it into a coffee percolator with coffee to make iced coffee with noticeable glowy effects. However I don't have a coffee perc anymore so I just boiled up maybe around 10grams worth and simple filtered it. I can't hack the taste anymore and really don't feel like an iced coffee in this weather so wondered weather it would be useful (and safe) to use it up the wazoo with a needle-less syringe; and if it worked, how much does anyone guess would be enough for a mild uplifting buzz (for a medium-weight female)?

I'm wondering if it'd be useful at all that way, since perhaps it's the liver enzymation that's going to transform the interesting parts in vivo?

Cheers :)

• Like 1

I've never heard the anus referred to as the "wazoo" before. Thanks for enlightening me.

Good luck with your endeavours. I hope they are satisfying..

Please keep us posted on the results.

• Like 1

I couldn't say on your exact question really.

But I did read an interesting article in an old Entheogen Review magazine about rectal "consumption" of san pedro cactus. They pretty much came to the conclusion, (after what seemed like pretty exhaustive testing), that it wasn't worth it due to the reduced effects that were felt compared to taking the same quantity orally but the nausea was still felt.

I also read some stuff about "butt chugging" alcohol a while ago and I know that's supposed to be pretty dangerous...

• Like 1

s. albidum powder ... wondered weather it would be useful (and safe)

Hmmm, because s. albidum contains safrole which is a hepatocarcinogen (I was reminded of this again recently), I wouldn't use it.

Even though it looks like safrole was found to be that way by ingestion in rats (niggles found this in a paper), I doubt the roa you're suggesting (which is direct to the bloodstream) would metabolise it differently, so be careful!! :o

Edited by antonsyd
  • Like 1

God, just the smell of safrole makes my stomach churn, can't imagine downing sass oil!

A close friend definitely agrees with the pedro being a bit shit that way... bummer really...

Yeah I've re-read the info about the carcinogenicity and the sketchiness of that paper, looks like a bunch of BS to control supply. But I surely aint a biochemist :)

Definitely not the oil! Just boiled water plus powder :)

• Like 2

looks like a bunch of BS to control supply

Because it's a precursor? You could be right, but then again so are a bunch of other things like peudoephedrine which are otherwise considered safe. Who knows, even if it is carcinogenic, perhaps it's no more than, say, breathing second-hand cig smoke, but I don't know... I'm no biochemist either! :huh:

Sure sounds adventurous... :lol:

A close friend definitely agrees with the pedro being a bit shit that way... bummer really...

Gold. :)

• Like 1

Maybe make up a poultice type deal and let it absorb into your skin.
From memory exercising at the same time made a big difference in effect when using oil rubbed into the skin.,

• Like 1

From my understanding the carcinogenic effects of sassafras were compared to breathing outside air. Assuming you aren't drinking tea every day I wouldn't have too many concerns.

I have some experience with raw nutmeg not that the two are comparable. S. albidum grows relatively close to me and I have been meaning to make a voyage for some berries but the ministry of forestry did not have any information on where these rare trees were located. Despite the fact they should be protecting them.

• Like 1

Around 80mls of the boiled down powder was mixed with cold water and wild hibiscus flower syrup as a cool drink. Didn't taste too horrible though I think sparkling water or appletiser would be better. extremely mild glow, sort of akin to low amanita usage. I'll try the PR route soon (not today as I've had tramadol), and will try the poultice thanks Andy :)

Hey Andy do you think mixing some powder with an oil base such as edible poppy/hemp/passionflower with a little dmso, then applied to thin skin close to major veins/arteries e.g. inner elbow, wrist, groin etc would work? Have never used dmso before though, so a little hesitant about amounts.

• Like 1

My experiences with nutmeg were always best in with passionflower and ephedra tea. Often I would have the nutmeg in my coffee. That being said be safe.

• Like 1

The carcinogenicity was based on rodent models and is dependent on an enzyme not found in humans. To get the same hydroxylation in humans you have to ingest a huge amoutn at once. i think it was equivalent to 400ml as a single dose and even then only insignificant traces of it were produced.

Can't advise much on the original question as it is uncertain whether the effect from the bark are in parts due to alkaloids rather than the oils. I probably wouldn't want to stick anything so rich in tannin up there...

• Like 2

Would any volatile oils - of any type from any whole plant source - be absorbed into the bloodstream that way if it was first made into a tea? Example menthol in peppermint tea obviously works if drunk, would it work PR? lol wouldn't try that one.

I never got around to trying it anyway so I assume the sass tea is off by now... although it's been in the fridge.

• Like 1

essential oils are sparingly dispersable in water. some might even be slightly soluble in hot water. So yes, teas do contain essentials oils which is why the smell nice. And yes, menthol would be absorbed, but don't expect it to work much like a mouth freshener down there ;)

• Like 2

Yeah I guess so. Besides, an electric toothbrush is WAY more fun :devil:

• Like 3

I would be careful with the use of DMSO, make sure you wear the right kind of gloves and all other safety precautions.
In this case, Im not sure its really necessary anyway?