The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Quixote

Can I plant loph seeds in autumn?

Just got my first loph fruit with 1 (one!) seed, and now I can't wait to plant it. But autumn is coming soon in North Europe, would it be possible to germinate the seed to be ready for next summer's growing season?

My cacti are all indoors in pots.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did some searching here and on Google, but didn't find the exact answer.

For seedlings I use a box with fluorescent lamps and timer in the colder periode, it works very good. In winter here the sun is not strong enough for them on my window sil.

For Lophophora some recommend a heat mat under the pots, if your room temp are on the lower side in winter.

Edited by kapitän kamasutra
  • Like 1

There's still lots of sun and heat here, I guess enough for the seed to sprout and grow a bit (depends on how long it will take?) but I guess the seedling won't survive the winter even indoors?

Edited by Quixote

but I guess the seedling won't survive the winter even indoors?

so ya keep your house below freezing do ya?

• Like 1

If you have a heated house they will do just fine indoors. If you don't have heating and it gets freezing in your house they probably wont. I grow seedlings indoors all year round under flouro lights.

• Like 1

If you provide the seedlings requirements for light, nice temperatures and humidity its possible to grow them anytime. Even if your house is cold its easy to build a little spot for a seedling tray or two with heating and light in it.

• Like 1

My house is not that cold, it's just that there's not much light in the winter - down to 7 hours of very weak sunlight a day. So if I had a tiny loph seedling, would it be ok to just keep it in the window or would I need to rig up electric lights for it?

Edited by Quixote

you yourself hold the answers you seek, all thats required is action.

how would anyone other than yourself know what the growing conditions would be inside your house?

planting some seeds would be a first step

Once you achieve the 'if' portion of your statement (So if I had a tiny loph seedling,), then you can put some seedlings in the window, as well as some under lights if you want.

your first hand experiences will have far more validity than anything anybody could tell you.

• Like 1

Yes Zelly, the proof is in the pudding, but sometimes asking for advice is sensible too.. Yesterday I planted the seeds, time will tell how it turns out.

• Like 2

I sow Lophophora williamsii seeds all year round. I usually do a mid winter sowing, under lights and with bottom heat - to see life spring up in these short, dark days. My favourite cactus.

• Like 1