The Corroboree
woof woof woof

Ebola. Latest developments thread.

Tony Abbott refuses to send health workers to west Africa. There is no reason why quarantine procedures can be in place for those returning, indeed before they return, so this is not a good excuse for not sending them.

What doubles this inexplicable behaviour is that he isn't screening people effectively. There should be a ban in place for anyone who has been to west African countries in the last 21 days (note that this does not mean they could have been in contact with someone who has, so it won't be perfect, just better). I still do not understand why we are being so slack about

1/ getting as much help over there as we can to get the problem under control

2/ making sure it doesn't arrive here

It's as if they don't give a shit. Or, as Naomi Wolfe seems to think, it's manufactured as a population control device. Once it is here and entrenched, then they will initiate the massive control measures for movement and travel and monitoring. Let's be fair, at that point these measures will have little impact because the disease will be here and the medical system will be overwhelmed.

• Like 2

If it does hit Oz it'll be interesting how you all handle the "privacy" issue.

My country is neurotic about privacy to such an extreme that when that guy brought it to texas they would not release his name until he was dead, hampering efforts to find people who had contact with him. Now some anonymous nurse is sick, we cant know who she is because of 'privacy concerns' so anyone she gave ebola to is just merrily going on with their day, playing with kids in the park as the fever builds.

The irony is, if that same nurse got boned by a 15 year old instead of getting ebola her name would be all over the news, that would be deemed more important than her privacy. But ebola? No such luck.

Your right, goverments are not taking this seriously.

• Like 6

alcon-1.jpg

yowzer, apparently nurse pham's boyfriend is being admitted to hospital as a suspected ebola case,

shit's getting real in ol' america towne

Well,... the US is considering closing it's borders to people from the stricken countries.

Not illogical. It would be the start of serious consequences for the world economy when countries start doing so.

That could also mean that if your country isn't doing enough to combat the disease, then you will be possibly barred from entering by protocol. So how prepared is your country if indeed the disease gets a foothold in the future?

It would only be logical that if indeed such measures are taken, that the aid to the stricken countries are upped.

• Like 1

I read an article which suggests their economy is already fucked, food supply internally is shaky etc. I think they need a shit-ton of aid, Tony Abbott of course would rather spend the money on little boys toys so he's cut foreign aid (as well as everything else) and still managed to pull an extra $600 million to "fight terror overseas" plus the unspecified amount spent on internal monitoring of the populace he is supposed to be protecting and nurturing. What the fuck they did to him at school, god only knows, but he could do with some serious psychological counselling.

• Like 2

watching some of the footage of Australia's "ebola preparedness", it's interesting to see that their safety equipment is exactly the same as that as which helped facilitate the nurses in the US get sick. they might want to jot down a few notes and get their shit together.

The Australian Red Cross health aid worker left Liberia on October 10 and is in 21 days of isolation, keeping a low profile and venturing from her Cooks Hill home only for the occasional walk and to visit the supermarket when it is not busy.

*from link above

yeah ....thats isolation .... to the fckn supermarket.

I laughed hard once I think reading here someones quote of "beware of idiots and those that mean well"

There is truth in that.

• Like 2

The most fucked thing about all of this is that it doesn't matter how good you try and keep control of where you go and what you do. It only takes one other fuckwits stupidity to fuck it all.
And there are so many fuckwits....

• Like 3

All this lack of screening, with people in and out of ground zero, just makes me wonder, was this deliberate, is this a bilderberger population control system or something of the like.. I mean lets face itbthe politicians are puppets, let it run its course, and whenwe have our population down enough we can dump the dead in syria????? Yes, i'm paranpoid of anyone / organisation that forces themselves / their rules on the common people, it's all tyrrany..

• Like 3

I do not understand why the government is allowing people who have been working in west africa onto flights and back into the country when they could possibly be carrying this dis-ease. It would make far more sense to put them through the 21 day isolation period BEFORE attempting to fly...

• Like 1

I have the dubious honor of being told that "you were right about Ebola". Well I've been right so far let's hope that governments are now willing to do something about it so I'm not right by Christmas.

Military hospitals set up at the borders to quarantine people in and out of the infected zones. "We can handle it if it gets here" is not good enough. This thing is lethal and needs to be stopped. We have failed these countries let's not fail any more, we need a quarantine asap and throw everything we have at it.

Tony Abbott is way off once again. We may need a plague time government and this one couldn't run a decent fucking bath let alone a sterile environment!

• Like 1

I have the dubious honor of being told that "you were right about Ebola". Well I've been right so far let's hope that governments are now willing to do something about it so I'm not right by Christmas.

Military hospitals set up at the borders to quarantine people in and out of the infected zones. "We can handle it if it gets here" is not good enough. This thing is lethal and needs to be stopped. We have failed these countries let's not fail any more, we need a quarantine asap and throw everything we have at it.

Tony Abbott is way off once again. We may need a plague time government and this one couldn't run a decent fucking bath let alone a sterile environment!

well fortunately you cant wear face coverings in parliament house so hopefully........................... :P

Edited by brooa
  • Like 3

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2014/10/jamaica-bans-travelers-from-ebola-hit-nations-201410162286423133.html

Jamaica has ordered an immediate ban on people who have traveled through the Ebola-affected countries of Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone, joining a growing number of states to impose such restrictions.

Aside from Jamaica, another South American country, Guyana, said it had denied entry to citizens from the West African states, as well as Nigeria, for the past five weeks. Trinidad and Tobago, Colombia and St. Lucia took similar steps earlier this week.

How do we know if ASIO is monitoring us?

I just saw a documentary on sbs one about ZMapp, an experimental cure for ebola "pharmed" in Nicotiana bethamiana (an australian plant apparently particularly good for that kind of thing), which was used successfully on three individual cases in this latest epidemic.

The documentary is worth a watch i came across it by accident.

Ebola crisis: 'Many exposed' to infected Mali girl

Health officials fear many people may have been exposed to Mali's first Ebola victim - a two-year-old girl.

She recently arrived from Guinea, one of the worst affected countries, and has since died.

The girl showed symptoms, including a bleeding nose, while travelling on a public bus through several towns, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

Forty-three people, including 10 health workers, who came into contact with her have been identified and isolated.

The girl was being treated in the western town of Kayes, after arriving at a hospital on Wednesday.

The child had travelled more than 1,000 km (600 miles) from Guinea through the capital, Bamako, to Kayes.

"The child's symptomatic state during the bus journey is especially concerning, as it presented multiple opportunities for exposures, including high-risk exposures, involving many people," the WHO said.

The girl's mother died in Guinea a few weeks ago and the child was then brought by relatives to Mali.

Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone have seen most of the 4,800 Ebola deaths.

_75306515_line976.jpg

At the scene: Alou Diawara, BBC Afrique, Bamako

_78501484_malikeyes4641014.cmp.png

People are afraid in Mali's capital, Bamako, but life is carrying on as normal. A few people have stopped shaking hands but physically greeting people is an important part of life in Mali and for most this has not changed.

Some hotels have placed bottles of anti-bacterial gels at their entrances but for ordinary Malians, gel remains too expensive. The government has been running public information broadcasts telling people to wash their hands with soap. But though soap is not expensive, most still wash their hands with water alone.

Many Malians have friends and family in Guinea and several buses and taxis travel between the two countries each day.

With the support of the WHO, Mali's health system has been preparing for an outbreak of Ebola for several months. But there is a culture here of visiting people when they are sick to wish them a speedy recovery.

This will have to change if Ebola becomes more widespread.

_75306515_line976.jpg

Mali has now become the sixth West African country to be affected by the outbreak, although Senegal and Nigeria have since been declared virus-free by the WHO.

The WHO has three experts in Mali evaluating its ability to cope with Ebola and will send at least four more over the next few days, spokeswoman Fadela Chaib said.

With porous borders, countries neighbouring Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia are on high alert for possible imported cases of the virus, says BBC Africa health correspondent Anne Soy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29755443

I espesially liked this comment, "is this a bilderberger population control system or something of the like.. I mean lets face itbthe politicians are puppets, let it run its course, and whenwe have our population down enough we can dump the dead in syria?????"

LOL, have you ever seen a nature documentory? observed nature? It is natures most noticable ability, and one i think i shall always struggle with. Create and maintain BALANCE. Population controll is balance. Balance of a ever-dynamic bio-diversity. Sure, if we upset this balance too much, we see nature regain it in ways she can.

simple huh..