The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shortly

Dendrocereus nudiflorus

I found these pics in the book "Melocacti of Cuba" 2007, and just WoW.

Has anyone ever seen this Cuban monster or seed for sale? Or just know anything about it?

post-4844-0-08653200-1406758233_thumb.jp

post-4844-0-84531500-1406758250_thumb.jp

post-4844-0-08653200-1406758233_thumb.jpg

post-4844-0-84531500-1406758250_thumb.jpg

post-4844-0-08653200-1406758233_thumb.jpg

post-4844-0-84531500-1406758250_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Never heard of that one. It's pretty awesome looking. Although I definitely don't have room for one of those!! :o

Would be a pretty unpleasant experience If you were standing underneath and limbs dropped off...

Ive seen some of the prickly pear get up to similiar height but no where near the same kind of canopy.

You make room for that!!!

• Like 1

Yes, they are awesome and hardly investigated. Pretty closely related to Acanthocereus. Maybe even synonymous with some forms. Haven´t seen them for sale though. But with a bit of luck, seeds should be available somewhere sometime.

• Like 1

I'm developing a serious urge to visit Cuba, the cacti are amazing :wub:

Rhodonocactus zinniflora in stunning :drool2:

Rhodonocactus zinniflora in stunning :drool2:

this doesn't appear on the internet or in my (limited) book selection, any chance of a link / correction?

I cant find a thing online either.

Only the single pic in the book taken at the Botanical Gardens of Havana.

It is a true tree, a bit like a Pereskia with FING HUGE pink flowers.

I have no idea if it is/was used for anything traditionally other than being stunning & nice & shady.

Rhodocactus is an old / synonymous name for some Pereskia species, perhaps that's what your book refers too? pereskia certainly are nice, though, would be cool to see some in habitat regardless.

edit: cereus > cactus, just used to putting 'cereus' after everything lol

edit 2: yeah, seemingly Rhodocactus zinniflora > Pereskia cubensis > Pereskia zinniflora

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 1

This author is definately wanting to use the older name, published in 2007.

Without seeing any actually morphological data the plant does look superficially different any Pereskia i've seen in person.

Regardless she is a wicked tree. But not as wicked as the Dendrocereus.

• Like 1

And yes it is the same plant, i think?

so it is Dendrocereus nudiflorus then? Synonym:Cereus nudiflorus

Cuba, Matanzas, Punta Hicacos, près de Varadero

http://www.cactuspro.com/photos/Cactaceae/Dendrocereus/nudiflorus/4039.html

The stems..ends..look more cereus like

I wonder how many 100's of years it would take to get that size...?

the first 50 years or so...its probably a manageable single stem...pot plant for a warm sunny corner....looking like a cross between Myrtillocactus & cereus......Daves has some youthful pics

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/298745/

"The fruits are smooth, round or pear-shaped, and green without spines."

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocereus_nudiflorus

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Dendrocereus

trouble when you discover these things ...its goes onto "I must have some list"...TODAY! :)

http://www.cactus-aventures.com ...had seed 15 per E....but sold out... :(

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

dreamwalker, the plant in the OP is Dendrocereus, the rest of the discussion was about the other plant shortly mentioned. there are at least some, perhaps young, Dendrocereus in cultivation and it probably won't be long until reliable seeds are available from somewhere. as far as i remember, the seedlings do resemble Cereus or Pilocereus seedlings, probably takes many years to form a tree. Cereus too will form a large tree if given the time and space...

• Like 2

Cuba started opening up to the west in the 90's so i half expect there to be some 20 year old or so trees about? Or the possibility of older trees hiding in the old eastern block, in Germany or the old soviet union perhaps?

I did have a quick look for Cuban seed merchants but all i've found thus far are purveyors of tobacco seed, no surprises there i guess.

Yeah i don't expect to live long enough to see many of my cacti grow to even half their full potential.

• Like 1

I always think about growing stuff in the bush that people will later think about long after I am gone. Did it with a few adansonia's. have a few cactus dreams,.. but if it doesnt work out I might have to plant the saguaro and the pachycerues somwhere in the bush.....100 years from now people will stare in amazement

• Like 1

in 100 years time your saguaro and pachy might be the only fruit surviving the droughts

I always think about growing stuff in the bush that people will later think about long after I am gone. Did it with a few adansonia's. have a few cactus dreams,.. but if it doesnt work out I might have to plant the saguaro and the pachycerues somwhere in the bush.....100 years from now people will stare in amazement

as they bulldoze it to build affordable housing ;-)

• Like 2

the development theme also crossed my mind...............I can imagine though many of the seeds we plant, the cacti...being cut up and passed around for countless generations...& some of those pachy..stenocereus...& saguaro's becoming cherished & valuable giants....it would be awesome to imagine some Adansonia's surviving to become these alien world giants

http://9wows.com/madagascars-giant-baobab-trees/

or adeniums

adenium.jpg

still want some Dendrocereus seed :worship:

Oh i wasn't even entertaining the idea of purchasing them at this point.

The important thing is that they are starting to circulate in the hobby in eastern Europe, so its only a matter of time until they filter through to here.

Plus seeing such a large price tag will likely encourage more than a few vendors in Cuba to start collecting & offering seed.

I didn't know they put lifetime warranties on cacti!

• Like 1