The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nailthesnail

Beginning of spring, what to begin?

Hello, So I understand it is not long until it will be officially spring and I can feel it starting to warm up, With that being said I am very curious as to what I should be preparing myself for as this is the first spring for me as a gardener.

I have all of my cacti inside and have 6 month old cacti seedlings trolling round. Wait until last frost is clear before bringing them out?

I would love to know about some great techniques for healthy growth like where I should position my cacti and fertilizer routines and what not.

I understand that the majority of you will be germinating vegetables and other plants and was wondering what is on everybody's list for 2014/15's list for growing.

As this will be my first full grow season I could use all the help I could get.

Thanks

well enzed people will be able to help better, but here's what i do:

over winter, all the pots go undercover, still exposed but under the little roof hangover where some moisture gets but aren't in the rain, i don't touch them for these 3-4 months

temp:18-23 max, ~15 min

when it starts to warm up (say gets to ~20 or so regularly) i'll put them out in the sun, i.e. from about mid august/september onwards i'll try and give them as much sun as possible, i won't water or feed at this stage at all because they haven't quite "woken up" from winter at this point.

temp:23-28 max, ~15-18 min

when i see some new growth (lets say mid sep start oct), i'll give them a feed of half strength, it's still raining a little regularly at this stage no need to water them really,

temp: 30-45 max, ~20+ min

end of oct through to feb/march is where i'll feed and water regularly, feed about every 2 or 3 weeks full strength water every few days as it's hot and the soil dries out quick, i put hem in a position they get maximum amount of sun, no need to weather them here as they've been getting used to the sun for the last few months and if they get burnt they get over it pretty quick

this is for established plants in larger pots, i'm in melbourne btw

fertilizer last year i cycled nitrosol and go-go juice and thought it went pretty well

Edited by bot6
  • Like 1

Sweet as! I'll probably follow that sort of lose guide on general times to water. Most of my plants are not established in there pots so I will leave them in sun in morning and night I am thinking to avoid prolonged sun exposure.

thanks for tips on fertilizer that seems like a pretty good rhythm.

keep it simple...start small & add...rather than too big & overwhelmed................now I start planting yellow pear tomatoes seeds in large pots...before I forget about them...& discover them all stringy & overgrown.....they can handle some neglect & after my hap hazard veg gardening,,,still provide heaps of tomatoes....start saving pumpkin seeds.....the blues are really hardy, & they keep.....kale is good mass planted & can eat the young shoots/thinnings...turnips are good to plant now...eat when immature...golf ball size...

• Like 1

Sweet yea, I am thinking pumpkin turnip and kale would be great! I'm not really that big a fan of tomatos lol.

Yea I think that's sound advice first year I'll keep it simple. Very wise Dreamwalker