The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
magical9

First Graft/Trying to save variegated plant

At this point im done being stressed about losing the cutting. This is purely for learning at this point now. If it works and lives then im meant to have it. I know some of you are screaming "callous it and let it root out!" but ive tried ! lol

This is purely for learning at this point now

what steps could you have taken to improve the success rate for this particular graft and future grafts?

I would suggest beveling the edges of both scion & rootstock, beveling the sides to a point where just the vascular rings are fully exposed for both pieces. Alignment is made so much easier when all you have to work with is two pieces with round, exposed vascular bundles. The graft union should have equal beveling on each side of the graft union. Removing all plant material from the graft union area (beveling) helps to ensure a successful graft even years down the road.

Graft onto the largest rootstock you can fit the scion on. On columnar's, unlike pereskiopsis, root stock size (girth & height) plays a huge role in scion growth. If your latest graft is successful, i would strongly recommend you eventually graft the myrt onto a much larger sized favorite columnar.

Dont think you have to graft onto a rooted root stock, many people have better luck using a jig of sorts and non rooted cuts. Once the graft takes, they then root out the root stock. A jig will keep the cuts stationary until the graft forms and very little pressure is needed.

A huge issue (rot) is created when the downward or joining pressure crushes the very cells you're trying to fuse together. A jig can be as simple as a piece of sheet metal formed to a 90 degree angle or two pieces of wood nailed together.

Placed at a 45 degree angle from vertical, the jig could hold both the rootstock & scion in place, and in some cases the weight of the scion alone will be sufficient to achieve the graft.

• Like 4

zelly that really helped me understand a few new things. thanks!

hostilis- just because you've read the first chapter or two does not mean you're capable of accurately synthesizing the whole book. :P

But don't you know, I got to chapter three!

And by the way magical, I had a cutting that took 2 years to root once. Not sure why your's is rotting though. I would just leave it out of soil till roots show up if the graft doesn't work.

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 1

so usa and australia ahve the same metric systems?

pounds and feet and inches and all that shit?

the U.S use the U.S imperial system, we use the metric system... meters and liters and whatnot

edit: after american revolution apparently they changed the name to the U.S customary system and not imperial, but, very similar

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 1

here's a pic of the beveling I was talking about....it happens to be a peruvianus also....

14796016451_c6f397a65c_o.jpg

• Like 6

ugh ... now i get it. how long should it take to really dry and settle? how long until you know it took the graft?

In my experience the snotty stuff will dry out within like 3-5 days and they will be stuck together (not actually fused in the cores), but I usually keep it secured on stock for 2-3 weeks just incase. I know it's taken when it goes from being dehydrated to plump and there's new growth showing up.

• Like 1

man

I am just screwing with you

"meant to have it"

fuck

of course you are...

you already have the fucker, so get it done

WELL its dead.

came in to check on it and it had fallen off the stock. whatever. so i went to chop the rotted out bottom and just try rooting the 3" of remaining "healthy" tip and grabbed an apparently dull knife........................... dumbass. managed to smash the thing nice and thoroughly as i attempted to cut it in half with one quick chop.

WHATEVER. trashed.

you haven't lost anything

unless you lose the lesson...

RIP expensive ass plant... probably gonna reincarnate as a grasshopper or sum shit ;)

• Like 2

Damn. Are there any healthy areoles on it?

• Like 1

Hey magical, like Hostilis said, if you've got some good areoles and some grafting stock left it's probably worth trying to graft some of those.

And you should still be able to graft the tip even if it's only an inch or two long.

You sound really frustrated, (which I completely understand), but if you've got any energy left to put into this cut I wish you the best of luck in salvaging some of it!

• Like 1

well i have a few other cuttings from this plant but they just arent yellow at all. those have rooted so at least i have those. i really wanted to see the yellow piece grow is all. oh well. also i already tossed it all out. heh

hey zelly

are you selling?

I saw some yellow penis

(NOTE THE RHYME)

• Like 2

i was hoping zelly would offer me a consolation variegated penis .. :innocent_n:

mate that graft was never going to work, what a shame to lose so much propagable material in under one week. should have only grafted the very top 1/5, so much easier to get even downward pressure with smaller scion. there was plenty of sound advice in this thread you seemed to disregard.

whilst it doesnt look applicable in this case, I found good dosing with dual systemic fungicides Tebuconazole and trifloxystrobin to dramatically improve the health of my struggling variegated trichocereus

this ragged half tip i grafted at start of winter outdoors is just about to push out a new shoot..post-251-0-10885800-1407264931_thumb.jpgpost-251-0-78243800-1407264929_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-78243800-1407264929_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-10885800-1407264931_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-78243800-1407264929_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-10885800-1407264931_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

mate that graft was never going to work, what a shame to lose so much propagable material in under one week. should have only grafted the very top 1/5, so much easier to get even downward pressure with smaller scion. there was plenty of sound advice in this thread you seemed to disregard.

whilst it doesnt look applicable in this case, I found good dosing with dual systemic fungicides Tebuconazole and trifloxystrobin to dramatically improve the health of my struggling variegated trichocereus

this ragged half tip i grafted at start of winter outdoors is just about to push out a new shoot..attachicon.gif20140804_145251.jpgattachicon.gif20140804_145229.jpg

man im so inferior. im sorry for my errors!

Edited by magical9

cacti teach patience, even trichocerei, some of the fastest columnars, some times teach patience

sometimes them fuckers root in 10 days.. sometimes they need a month or more (that is for fast growers)

sometimes bigger cuttings take longer to root than smaller !!!??!

but how they say it, no reason to cry of spoilt eggs or something like that...

I strongly believe in learning through failing and re-inventing the wheel. I often times failed because I wanted to do my own thing.

f.e. I rotted most of my stenocacti one november cause I didnt follow the "rules" - lesson learnt the hard way...

I even fucked up the first bridgesii crest I received as a freebie (credits to philocacti for that..) ... I didn't manage to root it

didnt manage to root the beheaded Eulychnia either, spidermite got it

• Like 2

magical9 you are a bit of a dick. you should be sorry for needlessly destroying a beautiful and rare specimen because of impatience and arrogance, not for being inferior to the more experienced people that came here and have kindly and patiently given you advice.

dunno man.. now i dont want to come across as encouraging underage drug crime with my following advice.., but, are you smoking enough weed magical9? See if you can replicate this experiment. What you wanna do is try punching a couple of cones of your towns highest quality marijuana. first thing every morning. for a couple of months. And just let the cactus do whatever the fuck they wanna do for a while. Chill the fuck out, then once you run outta choof and money and remember where you left your plants go and check them out. You'll bee like, fucking hell I totally forgot I even had a fucking TBMC now its gone and sprouted a rainbow coloured chimera with that lophy its rubbing up against, fuck yeah wheres the mix lets celebrate.. but probably just growing up a bit will do wonders for you.

• Like 2

magical9 you are a bit of a dick. you should be sorry for needlessly destroying a beautiful and rare specimen because of impatience and arrogance, not for being inferior to the more experienced people that came here and have kindly and patiently given you advice.

dunno man.. now i dont want to come across as encouraging underage drug crime with my following advice.., but, are you smoking enough weed magical9? See if you can replicate this experiment. What you wanna do is try punching a couple of cones of your towns highest quality marijuana. first thing every morning. for a couple of months. And just let the cactus do whatever the fuck they wanna do for a while. Chill the fuck out, then once you run outta choof and money and remember where you left your plants go and check them out. You'll bee like, fucking hell I totally forgot I even had a fucking TBMC now its gone and sprouted a rainbow coloured chimera with that lophy its rubbing up against, fuck yeah wheres the mix lets celebrate.. but probably just growing up a bit will do wonders for you.

lol dude what are you talking about. you come in here talking all Pius as though you know what I did with what advice like you know me. Some of us have jobs and lots of things going on and do not have all the time in the world to try every single persons advice. I screwed up on a cutting i own so what? So i should be derided like a dimwit newbie by your grace because you feel i didnt follow enough peoples advice the right way? get a grip on reality. Also speaking of reality... what is this about smoking weed? If youre going to show me how much better you think you are.. at least try to make some sense instead of using this school yard drivel. lol Impatience (6 months of working with the cutting), arrogance... such arrogance i have for not taking everyones advice before using my own judgement on my own cutting based on my schedule. Clearly you havent paid much attention to this thread as i have thanked everyone for their kind advice many times.

Guess how much advice YOUR GRACE gave until now?

NONE

I'm lighting up a three skinner right now just to offset your prickly juju magical9, hoping this should make things right

• Like 1

We've all made mistakes eh. I fucked up a one of a kind monstrose/crested lophophora fricii. I thought that the graft was rotting because it had ONE tiny orange spot on the stock. So I chopped it off and then grafted it to a monstrose pachanoi (that was grafted to a PC pachanoi stump, tripple graft... lol) and the graft failed and the scion rotted.

RIP... Crested monstrose Lophophora Fricii...

post-12824-0-26036600-1407306881_thumb.j

post-12824-0-26036600-1407306881_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-26036600-1407306881_thumb.jpg

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 3

It's through making mistakes that we learn. There is no such thing as a failure if one takes something away from it in regards to knowledge. Even the most experienced gardeners fuck up.

This forum is supposed to be a positive place where the more experienced growers inspire and help newbies through the exchange of knowledge. Not a place to belittle people that you feel that you know more than.

I've been growing orchids for over 15 years, just recently I lost a prized one. Does that make me a bit of a dick?

Magical mate there is a very real chance that cutting had an infection of sorts. I have rooted out alot of Trichocereus.sp cuttings over the years. Just recently I had a similar experience to you. A mate of mine gave me a couple of bridgesii cuts off a plant he culled that wasn't looking to good. I had them calousing in front of the fan in a completely dry, bright(no direct sun) environment. The ends started to rot. I cut away the rot and then some. They continued to rot. Ended putting a hair dryer on the fucker. Long story short from about 1 meter of cactus I managed to root a 10cm cut, the rest turned to goo. Even the bit i've managed to root is looking a bit touch and go. Black rot setting in. Does that mean I don't know what i'm doing or don't have the right to be growing these beautiful plants? Fuck no.

Grafting is a bit of an art and takes time to learn. It's easy to forget that we all started somewhere, or have you had nothing but 100% success in your endevours ferret? if so tell me your secrets pIease. Shit man I killed many a scion before I worked out techniques that suit me and the climate i'm in. Magical mate i'm sure you have taken lots from this experience and maybe next time you'll have more luck! All the best

Katu

Edit-spelling

Edited by katu
  • Like 7