The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Laila

Cheese making - feta

Hey guys,

Anyone with cheese making experience?

Am mid way through making feta, currently draining off my whey.

I've read a few articles stating that marinating it in oil will allow it to keep longer.

Longer than what? Longer than deli bought dry stuff? Or longer than fresh feta in whey solution?

There is mixed advice online some say it will last a year, some say it will last 3 weeks, but by the sounds

of things - if refrigerated, feta in whey will last longer?

Is the purpose of marinating in oil to keep it on the shelf for a couple of wks as opposed to fridge?

Thanks in advance,

Lx

post-14243-0-54920200-1406603948_thumb.j

post-14243-0-54920200-1406603948_thumb.jpg

post-14243-0-54920200-1406603948_thumb.jpg

i presume the oil acts as a barrier to the kind of microbes that might otherwise find their way to the cheese if they were kept in water or air*? also prevent drying (if just keeping in air)

i don't know*

• Like 2

When you make fetta after pressing, it is usually sub merged in a strong brine. This is what gives fetta it's saltiness and as I understand it was originally used as a preservative. I have kept fetta I've made for months unrefrigeratored in the brine. The salty fetta will also last in oil for quite a while, probably by excluding air, just guessing.

• Like 2

mainly for flavour i gather. traditional greek or cypress feta is bought in brine while 'persian' feta is bought marinated in oil. to the oil flavour is also added, peppercorns and fennel perhaps. when i have made it i have marinated in oil with chilies etc, just to my preference. i assume oil would indeed keep the cheese longer, but as you say it will still last quite some time in brine and if you enjoy the cheese the odds are you will consume it before spoilage.

edit: maybe try some both ways, and see which you prefer, so that you have a preference for next time.

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 4

The feta i make never lasts long enough to be able to tell lol.

oil would keep out air and you can add other herbs to add flavour. has to be brined first anyway.

but brine seems as good for preserving.

i guess try them both.

• Like 2

Thanks guys :)

I guessed having whey sitting at room temp would become too sour to use after extended time, so perhaps brine using whey

should be kept refrigerated? Oil/ brine is fine?

So mushfun - salt brine would do as well as if not better than oil?

If sealed does the salt brine need to be changed at any time?

Dionysus - The salt added to the brine/ whey solution also helps pull more whey from the cheese so it could make sense

for Persian feta to be put straight into the oil rather than brine given it's texture. It must have salt mixed into curd prior to pressing as opposed to sitting in salt after press.

I had been under the impression that Persian feta was once in brine and then marinated in oil afterward.

I do agree though, the oil would be for air/ microbe exclusion and also for flavour :)

Pretty sure I'll eat it before there's even a chance it will be bad. I was just wondering for when we live outta the camper, can I take it without a fridge and what the best brine solution would be for the longest lifespan.

Big thanks!

The brine is made to saturation, meaning no more salt will dissolve in the water. It will last for ages in brine unrefrigerated. If it's too salty for your tastes you can soak it in some milk before eating it to draw some of the salt out, or give it a rinse under some fresh water

• Like 2