The Corroboree
bio

amanita muscaria find + questions

one of these slowly drying caps, the white spots are turning green.

...looks like the kind of mold that grows on an orange peel.

the intent here is to thoroughly dry them all, but the greening white spots could be a concern.
wanted to sun-dry, but might have to oven dry.
hence the inquiry ... what is best.
oven dried or sundried... curing vs force drying.

should the entire mushroom be dried or just the red tops?

thankyou all very much :)

the large cap in the white bowl is the now drying cap with the *greening white spots*,
and the text book santa one is the 3rd image one day later.

Slainte ^_^

post-3938-0-59860900-1406342903_thumb.jp

post-3938-0-95505800-1406343470_thumb.jp

post-3938-0-46616600-1406343647_thumb.jp

post-3938-0-59860900-1406342903_thumb.jpg

post-3938-0-95505800-1406343470_thumb.jpg

post-3938-0-46616600-1406343647_thumb.jpg

post-3938-0-59860900-1406342903_thumb.jpg

post-3938-0-95505800-1406343470_thumb.jpg

post-3938-0-46616600-1406343647_thumb.jpg

Edited by bio

I'd separate the caps from the stems to sun dry them. They have a habit of spoiling pretty fast unless you can get them dried fairly quickly in my experience.

• Like 1

You could thread them on a string and hand them in the sun, that way they'll get more air movement around them.

• Like 2

thanks very much Glaukus, they have more air around them now.
I was primarily concerned about the white spots turning green as it dries.
cheers ;)

Nice amanitas!

Looks like that one is growing mold due to the upturned cap collecting water. Throw it back in the habitat you found it and dry the others thoroughly? Agree with the above comment about discarding the stems too; the red skin is the good part.

I think fly agarics were traditionally dried over a fire, and I have heard that heat helps the conversion of ibotenic acid to muscimol. A bit of heat probably isn't a bad idea, but the sun might be good enough too.

Edited by ∂an
  • Like 2

it might have been moss , ive often found amanitas with moss/algae growing on the white veil remnants, they can always wash off

i dont use the stems , they smoke a bt too funny , ovens dry them well

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

thanks all.
deeply appreciated!

it might have been moss , ive often found amanitas with moss/algae growing on the white veil remnants, they can always wash off

i dont use the stems , they smoke a bt too funny , ovens dry them well

Does this mean you smoke them? I have found they taste like barbeque chicken. Also apparently mixing em in increases the potency of cannabis (and makes the experience rather trippy and disorientating).

here is the classic prep i recommend: https://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas_info_petri.shtml

Sun dry immediately after picking them. Throw away any decaying or maggot filled mushrooms.

Cut them up ultra thin and space the pieces away from each other, so that you can maximize surface area for necessary decarboxylation. UV light converts ibotenic acid into the more favourable and less neurotoxic muscamol.

If you're like me and live in an area with very little sun - slice them up fine and dry them until cracker dry in a dehydrator (for the mushroom enthusiast, these are absolutely worth the $30 -$50 AUD for a cheapie).

Store them in an air tight container with desiccant sachets until summer, and then leave in the sun to decarboxylate.

Non decarb'd Amanita muscaria can be a really unpleasant experience.

• Like 3

Does this mean you smoke them? I have found they taste like barbeque chicken. Also apparently mixing em in increases the potency of cannabis (and makes the experience rather trippy and disorientating).

here is the classic prep i recommend: https://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas_info_petri.shtml

hehe I found mine to taste like roast beef a bit :) , maybe regional variations will throw more flavours x]

their smoke counteracts "dry mouth" and seem to make "being clever" an easier-to -reach attainment :)... unless that was the tea ?

• Like 1

thanks all.

deeply appreciated!

always a pleasure , this little gem is very close to my heart , its deeply appreciated to see others excited about them too :)

in france and scotland they serve them in restaurants ... they would boil them up and throw away the water though to remove the "goodies"

in china theyre rapidly replacing mono sodium glutamate as a flavouring being phenominally cheaper and more abundant

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

their smoke counteracts "dry mouth"

Yeah that was my theory with trying the combo to begin with. However i don't remember if it worked; i was way too out of it!

like hawk says, they have some of the best qualities of acid ... lol.
we found that out after the vomiting (which wasn't nice at all)
I thought they were decarboxylated enough ... aparently not.
dried caps with gills to a powder, then made a tea.
I would approach this again, but the nausea was a doozy.
nowhere near as bad as HWBR tho.
after the nausea, it was like a light lsd trip - pretty nice, happy + giggly.

thanks again Thunder Horse ⍾ Ninja :)
it's nice to have a positive report to contribute back!

ps: does anyone have the hawk and venus soma shaman dvd? i cant find it ANYWHERE
thanks!!!

• Like 1

IME amanita is more of an ordeal medicine than a true entheogen; it tastes foul and inevitably makes you sick if you take enough to get a substantial effect. But it still has its uses - I used it in combination with Syrian rue to induce sleep during a period of insomnia a few years ago.

By the way, next time you have some HBWR seeds, try just chewing on them for 5 minutes then spitting out the mush ie buccal absorption. Amanita has a much stronger taste than that I think.

• Like 1

I don't know why people are so down on HBWR, mix it with ginger (root, dried and powdered), lemon balm and peppermint (leaf) and you should be fairly sweet so long as you have fasted 8-12 hours prior.

• Like 1

Yeah hawaiian baby woodrose can pack a punch. Especially after fasting. I have been reading about the ellusyseeeleusinian mysteries where participants underwent a 6 month preparation and a 9 day fast prior to imbibing the kykeon. The power of any entheogen, even ones of questionable activity by LSD standards, must be magnified many times under such circumstances.

Amanitas and morning glories have a few things in common, incidently. They both exhibit high batch variability, can make you sick if not prepared correctly and allow sleep more readily than other psychedelics.

Edited by ∂an
  • Like 1

Hey ∂an, what are your thoughts about the identity of kykeon?

the active ingredient in kykeon was probably lsa's from claviceps paspali, which was spread from wild grasses to cultivated barley (http://www.psychedelic-library.org/paspali.htm). If morning glories and are anything to go off, lsa's can certainly deliver the psychedelic experience.

but until someone makes such a drink and successfully gets loaded off it, it's open to conjecture.

As for soma, which has been suggested to be amanita muscaria, a combination of Syrian rue and a tryptamine is more likely IMO.