The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

something ate all my wormwood

literally all of it, save for the few main branches,i only got it on the weekend, put it out yesterday and this morning it's almost all gone

there's three suspects

possums

cats

snails/slugs

i know it's not snails there's no tracks so that leaves possums or cats, and i read it's a possum repellent? so that leaves cats, but i also read it's poisonous to cats so what are they doing eating it?

what's the deal?

You have photos?

what size plant are we talking.

Nothings eating my wormwood at the moment, and i have possums and slugs/snails. but i dont image cats getting into it.

What about caterpillars?

Some species of butterfly and moth are known to feed upon chemically rich leaves to provide protection against bird predation ie. to make themselves distasteful...

• Like 1

it's been basically stripped bare, i don't have before pics but you might get an idea of the size, it was quite lush/bushy

post-13685-0-36380800-1406082765_thumb.j

post-13685-0-61209800-1406082775_thumb.j

post-13685-0-07287500-1406082784_thumb.j

post-13685-0-66808100-1406082792_thumb.j

post-13685-0-30337400-1406082801_thumb.j

DSCN0579.JPG

DSCN0580.JPG

DSCN0581.JPG

DSCN0582.JPG

DSCN0583.JPG

DSCN0579.JPG

DSCN0580.JPG

DSCN0581.JPG

DSCN0582.JPG

DSCN0583.JPG

baring in mind that this happened overnight, must have been a lot of caterpillars if they were the culprits

If it was caterpillars there would be lots of green droppings around the base of the plant. It looks like an animal has had a good go at it...or...your neighbours kids thought it was pot and took a few handfuls,lol.

look around for animal droppings near the plant?!

did it come from a large mass production nursery? maybe it was just so over watered & over fed it was really weak & almost entirely deficient in actives & oils so it could have happily been munched by anything, is pretty common with weak arsed crappy nursery stock that hasn't had a chance to grow some balls yet...

no it came from a private collector

or maybe it's a sign they aren't great genetics as far as phytochemistry goes..

Its a hardy as F##k plant so dont worry too much.

but i dont think its wormwood as such. Its an Artemisia sp. i can see that from the stem and remaining leaves, but looks to me more like mugwort.

Maybe wallaby. all my wormwoods and mugworts are untouched at the moment so i wouldnt think possums. strange given they are going for my rhubarbs instead.

dont stress about the plant it wont die.

• Like 2

ah yes, i couldn't remember which one it was

what about rats/mice? i had 1 pesky rat around for a while that devoeloped a taste for marigolds kale etc

• Like 1

yeah i thought about rats, i wasn't otherwise aware i had a rat problem* but still, i read they were repelled by wormwood though, not as sure as mugwort

*although my shed isn't exactly clean :blush:

You don't have deer in Australia, do you? Thats what they do to my salad!

i live in the middle of a large suburban centre, with high fences, so no deer or wallabies (unfortunately :) )

You don't have deer in Australia, do you? Thats what they do to my salad!

We definitely have deer in our pine forests and some of our conservation areas here in SA. I see them when out hunting mushrooms from time to time. Even found an antler in the forest a few weeks ago. :) They're usually very flighty though, so often you'll see them at quite a distance or when they're running away.

post-13830-0-49847500-1406099586_thumb.j

Never seen one in my garden though and I have pretty low fences. ;)

BTW, bot6, I feel your pain, it's horrible to wake up to a plant so decimated! Hope you find out the culprit so you can deter them!

post-13830-0-49847500-1406099586_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-49847500-1406099586_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

wouldn't exlude a rat at this time of year...when they do find something they like to mung they will smash it hard

Have deer in my garden every day. They aren´t even scared of me when i come out the house. Pretty cute Animals but they are nasty to my vegetables. All I do is building fences and covers, though because I Don´t want to hurt them. I live in the forest and it´s theirs too. That´s something that some countries politicians should think about trying as well. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

Sorry, something voluntarily ate wormwood, or even mugwort :blink:

I mean, I do because I like bitter stuff and am batshit crazy :wink: , but most animals aren't . . .

I can't find anything on the net about what naturally munches on this stuff!

our deer are weary of the hunter, most only exist in forested areas (although where i live they are pushing into suburbia, a friend of mine hit one with his car on his way home from my house in months gone by) and so keep their distance from man. as a 'pest' species, they are one of the few game animals in the south accessible. i believe they were introduced to Victoria specifically as game by the Chirnside family; along with the fox and rabbit. i seem to remember them running a private army and being a large employer of aboriginal people in the 1840's but my memory is scant here... either way, deer in Australia have a long and specific history as game animals and act accordingly.

Game Animals mean they are free to hunt, right? I mean, it´s an invasive species in Australia and that´s something different. You have to protect your ecosystem and i would do the same. In Germany, they are heavily hunted too, because I was told they damage trees and other thing, just like in my garden. But i am not really fond of hunting, though i have no problem with people who do it. It´s just that i grew up with Deers everywhere around me and i like them more when they are alive. But again, i´d exterminate every invasive species that is if it endangers local and unique Plant Populations. Have a Djungle of Robinia Acacias in my garden and i´d really make it extinct if i could because it is one of the worst plants there are, growing and seeding like the Plague. And yeah, know the stories about your Rabbit and Toad Problems so i totally understand they shouldn´t be there.

Edited by Evil Genius

i thought the word game meant 'hunted for food' but now I'm not sure. only pest species are allowed to be hunted here i think, besides professional shooters who are sometimes hired to cull kangaroos (since the forests have been cleared for farm land and golf courses kangaroo numbers are really high . i don't necessarily support the culls, but understand them). i do here of regular folk hunting kangaroos and emus, though, i'm not sure of the legality (could be okay, but as a city slicker i cant be 100%. it is very possible I've been told false information) . feral goat populations are often riddled with worms and feral pigs are similarly gross, i'm not sure who would eat fox, wild dog or feral cat so deer and rabbit (without myxomatosis) is the only option for hunters to eat what they shoot.

edit: i remember a while ago an african themed safari park in the NT had a few escapes and a couple of people got pygmy hippopotamus and a few other exotic species. if i remember right, a few springbok or ibis or similar may still be on the loose, http://www.news.com.au/national/pygmy-hippopotamus-shot-during-northern-territory-hunting-trip/story-e6frfkvr-1225798038412 (almost graphic photo is along side the news story in attached article, if you are very empathetic with animals maybe don't click)

Edited by dionysus

Dionysus I remember reading that article. A hunter accidently shot a pygmy hippo because he thought it was a pig

My problem is the damn squirrels and chipmunks but I find them cute thus I even feed them :BANGHEAD2: . They usually only kill seeds plants like sunflower, eat bulbs, eat big seeds such as lily and canna lily. I have seen them on the odd occasion just munching on greens though.