The Corroboree
Philocacti

Weird phenomena on some of my Trichocereus

I get this a lot in several of my specimens, especially in the peak of the heat season and especially when I have been lazier than usual and haven't been watering as often

• Like 1

i think the observation should be made that this is a condition that primarily affects potted trichs & not so much those grown in the ground.

I'm guessing most of us 'force' our potted plants to grow their maximum, fertilizing, watering, plumping them up, forcing them to grow faster than they would if planted in the ground, and thats why this issue manifests itself in the first place.

potted up, the plant soon becomes root bound to the point it cannot effectively extract what it needs from the soil to sustain growth, so it draws upon its stored reserves. Much in the same way an ario or loph with its huge tuberous root will sustain the plant when water is scarce,

• Like 2

Yup you're right, I should've specified that my observation concerns potted Trichocereus.

However, I have a few clones that don't display this kind of phenomenon, mainly a few pachanois and Zeus.

I'll try to visit my cousins farm and see how the ones he planted in the ground look like.

Happened to a Bridgesii seedling of mine 2 years ago.

It was not watered regularly, and had used up all the nutrients in the pot. Soon as I transplanted it, the problem was gone.

So I guess it's a watering/nutrients related problem!

Zelly is right, I forgot to note it too... This happens when the plant is root bound , and not before it gets like that.

Also, the phenomenon is more intense especially when the plant is growing new pup(s), as , like zelly said, the plant takes water and energies from the mainbody.

Its somewhat typical with TBMs, especially in root bound plants: when making new pups, the rest of the body is often deflated...