The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dionysus

bellarine peninsula species

hey guys,

i went for a bit of a walk today through a section of reserved woodland taking a few snaps of fungi i found, out of curiosity when i got home i tried to find a catalogue of endemic species and didn't have much success anywhere, so i figured i'd add my findings here. an endangered variety of eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Leucoxylon subsp. bellarinensis), Banksia Marginata, as well as Acacia sp. melanoxylon, sophorae and dealbata make up the majority of the wood and leaf litter with a few areas of black sheoak. native grasses and grass trees are plentiful and belong to many species, although clusters throughout the reserve were infected with cinnamon fungus (Phytopthora cinnamomi). Also present is the dung of the swamp wallaby and the red-necked wallaby.

worth noting, i have not seen Psilocybe subaeruginosa anywhere around the area besides under pine trees and in chip bark in parks and gardens etc and i don't think, if endemic, this species is very well represented in natural areas. .

i'm having problem with my PC at the moment and can't get photos off of my camera, so they will come in the next day or two, but i figured i'd start the thread no so i remember too. i will need help IDing a few species, but so far i have found Boletus, Galerina, Geastrum, Stropharia, Russula and quite a few more that i don't know off hand including ones that i suspect may be Stereum and some bright yellow numbers amongst a myriad of others.

hopefully i get some photos up tomorrow, almost tempted to keep a mac around just for times like this...

- dio

possibly, but, seems i was a bit late for a few specimens that were quite old by the time i found them and succumbing to molds and rots themselves so hard for me to ID them for cert, although once i get photos up I'm sure someone here will know better. I'll make this an ongoing thread, start with the shitty specimen photo's i have now, go in different seasons until i find similar specimens to the ones i saw this time, then i figure I've had a chance to see as many as possible, assuming i hunt vigorously. kind of like the film 'the big year' only fungi instead of birds... i will try and include lichens as well but i know very little, just see many, some right on the shoreline where no mushrooms grow. the Russula and the Boletus, as well as some Agaricus looking numbers were all possibly edible to varying likelihoods, though. an old puffball or 2 were found, which would have been edible earlier on, and i suspect over the seasons i may find morels, puffballs and a few that i just plain missed this time.