The Corroboree
Dreamwalker.

Hylocereus/epi palm grafts (tasted my 1st dragon fruit)

my selini fruits are totally more spiney... contrary to the actual plant , in fact...

what kind of selenicereus ?.............is it self pollinated do you think.?...& is it golf ball size?

Its cool, I guess it will go bright red when ripe...

The big one is golf ball size yeah...

I dont really know species. I did't get much photos when it flowered. I dont know if was self- pollinated, or pollinated with some of the 2 Harissias ?!? There are Hylocereus and another selinicereus with redder flower but they hadn't been flowering when Selini did. Or maybe I didn't see it... Oh there's another selini as well...

I checked out some .... it might be selinicereus grandiflorus, looks a lot like it and the flower also...

Didn't know Stenocerei make edible fruit.. I got a couple for IDing.... I am also very willing to grow a Myrtillocactus geometrizans as they too are supposed to make nice berries/fruits... (I planted one in the ground)

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Hey mutant, your Selenicereus is S. hamatus & from what I have seen they are not self fertile. There is a good chance it could be crossed with something else from your garden. It should be interesting to see how your fruit turns out & how it taste. The best cacti fruit I have ever tried is Selenicereus megalanthus.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 2

Hey Jox godamnit that is, thanks!!

There are more than one selinicereus hamatus plants on that big container, but I think all of my specimens were from the same source, but it could be other wise...

I suppose the best chances is it crossed with one of the two of my harissias... or something else that didn't occur to me...

Not to hijack this thread, but how in the hell do you make your dragon fruit tree super productive like these people

Dragon Fruit Red flesh variety

I thought when the branches are drooping now, then it starts to produce fruit?>

• Like 3

wow!...maybe hormone?...looks like a bunch of stems tied together....(I don't mind hijacking....conversations should be free to roam :) )

they are pupping at the top..so the tops have been cut off

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

looks like a bunch of stems tied together

left unsaid is the 100 acre plantation of selenicereus/hylocereus it took to create all those artistically arranged fruit bearing cut stems........

• Like 1

Even then, the amount of fruits on each stock is weird. And they're aranged in circles around them. I think they used some kind of chems to make them flower in perfect circals like that.

The pot is also tiny, it must be on fertilizers or something.
I reverse image searched them and found this, they have moar pictures

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/ducloisanvuon/media/CAY%20THANH%20LONG/1_zpsad350ff1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Edit: Firstly, one of most popular and best Vietnamese Food about fruits is Green Dragon (Thanh Long). It almost is grown in Phan Thiet, Phan Rang where has a hottest weather in Vietnam. Green dragon is the name of a newly cultivated fruit. It is rather big, weighs from 200 to 500 grams, and has pink or dark-red colour. The ripe fruit looks like the kohlrabi cabbage and has an oval shape. Before 1945, green dragon fruits were not sold in southern markets. It is said that Americans brought green dragon fruits to the south. From Phan Thiet to Nha Trang or from Ninh Hoa to Buon Ma Thuot, bushes of green dragon fruits can be seen climbing to tree trunks in gardens and even on doors. Different from any other southern fruit, its harvest season is particular; fruits become available in markets in October, November, April, and May.They are more expensive in October and April, since there are smaller quantities available.

Source: http://www.vietnamesefood.com.vn/vietnamese-food/best-vietnamese-food/fruits-in-vietnam-is-one-of-best-vietnamese-food.html

Edited by gr33ntea
  • Like 2

I'm still just guessing ...but I think they cut the stems with fruit on & pot them all up...looks like they should root..so you get fruit & a plant.

• Like 1

awesome project!!!

• Like 1

*growing hylocereus undatus* (white flesh interior -light pink to red exterior - often whopper fruit in Sup' Mkt)

and hylocereus costaricensis (purple interior - alien pink/green exterior - always small fruit in SMkt)

from seeds from a fruit from the supermarket, already 1foot + , been 1 year now, they're wrapped up with garden twine to grow upwards, I add a new wrap every 2 months or so... , growin em with the schlumbergera in the shower room for extra humidity

pink/purple interior are the nicest hylos by a long shot for sweetness imho

white ones are like chewing plain-flavoured crystalised grapes.... :drool2:

useful if you've powered out your pallette with sickly sweetness prior

definitely two of the easiest cacti I ever tried to germinate , undatus taking the lead though..

• Like 2