The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Caitlin

Need some advice again :)

Question

Hello again guys,

Id like your help identifying these few cuttings I got today. Ive identified austrocylindropuntia subulata but thats all I have manages. (the day I can do this myself will be a brilliant day haha)

Thanks everyone.

13 answers to this question

Hello Caitlin, the left One is Trichocereus Spachianus and the right One is some cereus from the hankeanus/validus/comparanus group. The mentioned cereus species are under investigation right now in order to solve the taxonomic mess that´s going on there.

Thankyou genius! helps out a lot :)

and ok, I'll just put all three down hahaha.

Ok :)

See the way the Trichocereus Spachianus is just snapped off the mother plant, do I need to do anything different when I go to plant it? I am going to leave it out to dry really well and then put it in my standard potting medium.

It looks fine to me. Just let it callous over completely.

• Like 1

nice clean cereus...can't even see a scar or hardly any scale...great find...hope you have more than 1 though ...it needs an unrelated (non clone) mate to fruit

Edited by Dreamwalker

I have two cereus that are both self fertile. They set fruit regularly even with just one blooming and no human intervention.

• Like 1

Oh interesting, do they all produce fruit? The same kind of fruit? Can you eat them?

I believe I only have the one but I am planning to get as many different types of cacti as I can get my hands on. So ill keep a look out. Thanks for letting me know, ill be sure so grab one if i see one know.

yeah really good eating......good to have a few of them if you like fruit...big family cereus..loads of hybrids......& good size cuttings 1m or so will usually fruit in the 1st summer.......so keep your eye out & check the online auctions...people often give them away..............

post-13298-0-54856000-1405338792_thumb.j

3 different cereus species shown

post-13298-0-54856000-1405338792_thumb.jpg

post-13298-0-54856000-1405338792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

lucky you told me, I would have never thought to eat them haha.

Yeah I have been peeping around but i am new and i know thats a downfall, thanks for letting me know about the fruits though. So any other type of cereus will do?

as far as I know all cereus are good...some better than others...........all cactus fruit are edible.........there's heaps of really good tasting ones...species....sold in the America's markets........others are just dry or small or not worth the bother.......