The Corroboree
powerinformation

loph degrafting? - need advice

I have a few trichos with loph grafts, enough that im interested in creating a singular loph cacti.

How do I do this?

Should I wait until the button is a certain size?

Is it just cut at the graft, let dry sit on the soil?

Any advice, words of wisdom for me?

Thanks dudes

Edited by powerinformation

I wouldn't do it myself unless there was some indication that the stock was losing vigour or the graft union was about to fail.

But....

If that's what you want then it can be done with any scion of a reasonable size - say about 10mm diameter or larger. I wouldn't do it with such a small scion though, I'd prefer to have a scion 15mm or larger myself.

Cut it off with a sharp sterile blade and dust it sulfur or tomato dust (blow off the excess) and let it sit to callus in the shade (preferably inside somewhere protected from mice & insects) for about a week to ten days. Then place it onto some dry river sand and don't water it until it has roots.

Certainly not words of wisdom as I'm 3 parts pissed, so if anyone disagrees feel free to chime in.

• Like 1

some pics would probably help

but as for words of wisdom

make sure you cut all the stock out

this may mean cutting up into the bottom of it kinda like a bowl

• Like 1

not even a starter pic? umm, not until then i won't be sayin :P

afaik, all the biggest and badest lophs, are grafted and rot from the inside out, which inevitable, they need to be shifted.

or

that has alot to do with conditions, and less water would preserve it from both, size but alive!

Edited by C_T

yeah next couple of days...or months...

Taking some photos for eBay this arvo thought I would get these aswell.

Nothing has changed much still thinking of degrafting.

Seems I have 3 different sub-species of loph? Please jump in and let me know if anyone can help ID for this newbie.

DSC01516

DSC01517

DSC01523

DSC01521

DSC01525

DSC01528

Any comments in general welcome (overall health?)
The last seems to be ready to pop off the trich itself but I think may have been a dodge graft i picked lots of dry glue off around it!
Cheers!

1) cut the scion off at the graft union

2) let the cut dry/callous for a few days

3) plant the scion in a very small pot with bone dry potting soil, with at least 1/3-1/2 of the plant exposed. many times i use washed plaster sand for the rooting medium

4) place this pot in uv filtered sunlight, semi shade or under lights

5) DO NOT WATER THE PLANT UNTIL YOU SEE NEW GROWTH, even if it takes six months.

Its far easier to over water a degrafted loph than one that was never grafted and on its own taproot.

• Like 2