The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamwalker.

Are Eulychnia acida & Trichocereus chilensis the same cactus?

Question

Are Eulychnia acida & Trichocereus chilensis the same cactus?

I don't really expect anyone to be able to answer this, but they look the same to me ...mostly.

They also share the same mistletoe, It only infects these 2 cacti, and it affects them at the cellular level. See some great pic's and discussion of the mistletoe at the link below, or further down the index of this section. So therefore they must be very similar at the genetic level, otherwise the mistletoe would infect all the trich family.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39011

Both cacti are valued for their edible fruit too.

Eulychnia acida

Trichocereus chilensis

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

17 answers to this question

Quite similar I would say but not the same at all

Flowers, for one. They look completely different to my eyes, in all the pictures I've seen. But otherwise the plants look very similar and are probably closely related.

Yes, the flowers are very similar but the pic if misleading. The Chilensis flower is different, even though it´s possible they are related.

• Like 1

"In morphology, analogous traits will often arise where different species live in similar ways and/or similar environment, and so face the same environmental factors. When occupying similar ecological niches (that is, a distinctive way of life) similar problems lead to similar solutions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 2

I've been meaning to ask, which is correct, chilensis or chiloensis? I'm guessing the first one, I've been calling it chiloensis probably because it's refered as such in most places.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to ask, which is correct, chilensis or chiloensis? I'm guessing the first one, I've been calling it chiloensis probably because it's refered as such in most places.

I don't know ...the latter spelling is generally used in seed catalogues ..........I think cacti are the most messed up plant kingdom when it comes to names.........I have to get my seed vendors to use my government's Ag. dept choice of synonyms, just to be able to bring cacti seeds into the country, needless to say only a few seed house's will even take a few minutes to reply to my email. That said any seed house that takes the time to reply, is a company you can trust and rely on, and shares a passion for cactus.

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

The name chileonsis was created because of a mistake made by the describer.Chiloe is an island in a region where this cactus does not grow. It should have been chilensis and the name was changed after skottsberg pointed it out. But since its a nomenclaturic rule to always keep the first name, even if it contains errors, the name was changed back to chiloensis. But that's bullshit and i refuse to cooperate! Spelling mistakes are nothing that we should hang on to in taxonomic descriptions.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 5

I found this really interesting in understanding the naming of plants and whether it's correct or not.

http://www.mfaint.demon.co.uk/cactus/naming.html

-ensis or -ense. This suffix indicates where a plant is supposed to come from. So Notocactus ottonis var. paraguayensis comes from Paraguay.
  • Like 1

Dreamweaver, there seems to be dozens if not more forms of chilensis (thanks for clearing out chiloensis is wrong) and also there exist many names of species which could be forms of chilensis.

So it could be possible some form of chilensis is related to that Eulychnia.... maybe....

yeah id-ing cacti isn't easy...............its really messy.............I think I found that one of them had its genome read...by the Chilean institute or uni?....I'm sure in a decade or so most cacti genomes will be read & on data base's ....... I hope the chilensis seed I'm ordering is the real chilensis.........

i prefer chiloensis, perhaps the vowel was just rolled up to avoid the awkward 'chileensis'. also, according to wiki, 'chiloé' is a word that comes from the Mapuche word 'chillwe' which means 'the place of seagulls' or something, so as chiloensis can be a coastal plant (far more so than other trichocerei) perhaps that is accurate. the trichocereus of the beach...

- dio

I think only some of the chilensis forms are coastal

closer to the beach than many more mountainous species though :P

edit: typo

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 1

I just say Chill ensis.

• Like 1

i prefer chiloensis, perhaps the vowel was just rolled up to avoid the awkward 'chileensis'. also, according to wiki, 'chiloé' is a word that comes from the Mapuche word 'chillwe' which means 'the place of seagulls' or something, so as chiloensis can be a coastal plant (far more so than other trichocerei) perhaps that is accurate. the trichocereus of the beach...

- dio

Chilensis grows in the middle of chile, from the province talca in the south to the Elqui valley in the province coquimbo in the north. They are the MOST typical plant of the middle of chile! The name was supposed to mean trichocereus from chile! Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4