The Corroboree
Bush Turkey

Nothing is fun anymore :(

Hi all.

I seem to not experience pleasure anymore. Has anyone else had this happen to them???

I quit heavy use of the erb a few months back and thought it was just due to withdrawals but it seems to be getting worse.

I find no joy in anything really. I slackline, surf and skate but i just don't get a kick out of it anymore.

Nothing excites me. I mean NOTHING!!! I feel like i could go skydiving and be bored while doing it.

I keep trying new "exciting" things but nothing pleases me.

Has anyone been through this and overcome it before?

Im living the complete sober life and i just feel like a empty shell, existing.

All the things i used to enjoy just seem like effort now.

Its got me worried

• Like 3

It may be slight depression, your brain still readjusting to sober life, or maybe you are in a rut. Maybe go on a vacation if you can even if just for a weekend. Just something to change things up and it does not need to be anything "exciting". If you really start degrading to a bad point talk to a doctor for their opinion.

Psilocybin microdosing tends to bring back pleasure, excitement and happiness into daily life.

• Like 7

It's depression mate, it can range from major to minor. See a doctor about it, some of the medication is quite light-weight but really makes a difference. They can also refer you to a psychologist who are great to talk to.

I had it when someone close to me died. It kinda killed my hope , but that seems to be coming back recently and so is my enjoyment in 'things'. I'm just glad it wasn't permanent.

Good luck with it.

• Like 4

I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety/panic disorder and OCD but its never been like this

i have the same problem at times mate

i've also been diagnosed with a number of things including depression and a panic disorder

i seem to feel like its my anxiety when it happens alot of the time stuff like this can be very complicated how long have you been on zoloft for

i was given one anti depressant which i was on for a couple of yrs and never had much progress with them

i've since seen a different doctor am on different medication aswell as seeing a psychologist

it has really helped me alot im still not in a very good way but i feel like im making slow progress

Edited by myco
  • Like 1

Hi bush turkey! This is most likely some kind of depression. Maybe even Anhedonia! I'd go to a neurologist to rule out serious diseases like ms, who can also cause something like this. But no need to be scared...most likely just a treatable depression and treatment will increase your life quality dramatically. Many people suffer from it at one point or another!

• Like 2

I too lost my sense of wonder and pleasure years ago, then i was introduced to mdma. To bad it isnt still around. But having kids helped me regain my inner child and look at life from a different perspective.

Edited by quarterflesh
  • Like 4

If it is possible to do so I would recommend going walkabout for a while. It can truly work wonders for reviving the self.

• Like 6

Thanks peeps! Ive had a bit of a health scare recently where i thought my heart was stopping. It turns out i have a very odd heart beat. It sounds like a bloody drum solo. This triggered my anxiety and things just started spiralling from there. Ive had soooo many tests recently. Multiple bloods, CT, holter monitor, Echosounds, ultrasounds and they can't figure out what is wrong with me. I think this has played a part in while i feel like this. This scare convinced me to go sober.

Some of my symptoms point to Lyme disease.

Only time will tell i suppose.

Im not a fan of psychs. They seem to increase my anxiety/deppresion

Have you looked into the latest science on the effect meditation can have on depression and anxiety.

It has helped me so much and there is now a lot of evidence on how it works. Literally rewiring and rebuilding damaged and unused parts of the brain.

Unlike Zoloft which is like a subtle chemical labotomy ( containing fluoride compounds if I remember correctly ) It does not come with the insane warnings that your SSRI's do and is proven to work brilliantly.

Thing is it kinda does take discipline and if your anything like me this will be the biggest hurdle to meditation. Believe me though it is worth it Turkey. You can find the stoke again mate.

Tipz

http://ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/meditation-can-change-your-brain-structure/

• Like 4

I seem to not experience pleasure anymore. Has anyone else had this happen to them???

I've seen it happen in others and it scares the shit out of me. So glad you noticed this before it got worse

Serotonin shortage. If you're still going out skating and stuff you are processing some dopamine at least. It sounds a bit like you have fallen out of love with the things you used to be in love with. In my experience this has been from a serotonin shortage and once I bump that up a bit I'm good, supplementing with l-tyrosine is useless for my dopamine levels if I've let my serotonin levels slip to that stage

( The above is a rule-of-thumb protocol I have adopted which works for me, it is not backed by any kind of personal clinical analysis and other mechanisms may be found explaining the process in the future. )

That's an interesting parallel you've drawn. The two aren't necessarily synonymous. They can be, but aren't necessarily. You've made the second sound like the logical conclusion to the first

The world isn't going to run out of drugs, thankfully. Once you've got your mojo back you can decide to interact with them or not

Given all that, I hope you can establish wonder, awe and appreciation for your life. They're a much more limited commodity these days and care is needed to acquire, cherish and maintain them

Most of the long termers here have gone bat shit crazy at some point and come back, you're in good company

• Like 4

Try "campral" (acamprosate calcium) Dr. Prescribes. U may get it over counter.?

Eat bannana every day.

Avoid drinking excessivly. Ie have no more than 4 standsrd drinks at any given time (unless at pub with mates of course.)

See your doc as mentioned to make sure nothing more sinister is going down.

And kudos to u givin up d erb. I done it a couple of years back and my overall sence of being is improved to say the least.

Good luck mate. Watch happy comedy movies when your real stuck.

Wert

• Like 3

Geez BT. Sounds like you've been having a bit of a rough trot.

I struggle with similar problems ( amazing how many people do these days). Quitting the bud for me was a weird experience too. Its quite an adjustment for your body to go through. But stick with it if you can.

And +1 to the meditation suggestion. If you haven't tried it already, then I strongly recommend it. Its amazing how productive and beneficial sitting down an doing nothing can be. It does take time though.

Hang in there brother. Everything that arises passes away eventually.

Edited by Cubism
  • Like 1

Hi all.

I quit heavy use of the erb a few months back and thought it was just due to withdrawals but it seems to be getting worse.

I find no joy in anything really. I slackline, surf and skate but i just don't get a kick out of it anymore.

Nothing excites me. I mean NOTHING!!! I feel like i could go skydiving and be bored while doing it.

I keep trying new "exciting" things but nothing pleases me.

Has anyone been through this and overcome it before?

All the things i used to enjoy just seem like effort now.

Its got me worried

I had quite an episode after summer solstice 2012.. looking in the mirror it didnt seem like it was me.. nothing has excited me since that day. my life has basically 180o in a good way i have changed both physically and emotionally , but the happy excited just is not there. things are not quite the same.

Edited by GiBBz

Sounds like old age mate! also get off the tap water, its full of nasties that affect health of mind and body , .. Zoloft ? that would be a no no

I have major depression ,ridiculous anxiety and a complete fuckness of a life but i fight it , i keep working ,keep maintaining some sort of health, and i refuse to let it ruin my future , of course i do slip occasionally and do stupid things but i no longer beat myself up when i let this happen .

Make a list of all the possible things that could make you experience happiness and fulfillment and then proceed to achieve them!

• Like 6

I'd also +1 to the meditation suggestion....there are 10 day retreats ...10hr insight med session's ....if your able to spare 10 days, they are kinda like pulling the ton on an isolated road......you can shift through a lot of shit ...a bit like pressing the fast forward button on your inner life/mood, so you end up in another mind space, which otherwise might take months or years of mental trudging..........but it is physically uncomfortable/painful and does take focus/discipline, but they are there to help and support you, the best are free, rely on dana, so you don't need to feel any need to give anymore than food and accommodation, and no one will thing the worse of you, if your unable to give anything...its dana.

That said when I'm in your mind place, its not what I reach for (but I've done med out of curiosity, not for the fast forward effect, so I may see that differently, when things are bad, if you have never done so, it may be just the thing)

A couple of other points your doc may never mention........Your age (I'm not asking), but I study genetics, and stuff is turning on and off etc all through our lives, Males go through a real change anywhere from 40 on, and changes on the genetic level can take years to find balance with.

Stress can be a real trigger, particularly if your energy is really low, it can both fire up your anger and/or leave you completely wasted.........even just driving or social interaction, & work are obviously stressful.........I am a firm believer in being hedonistic here...........be selfish and think of your needs

• Like 1

Thanks all for the kind words and help :)

I can't meditate. I can't sit still at all, ever. Ive been on Zoloft for years and it seemed to help me get a grip on things.

I have been alcohol free for 7 years now so drinking is not my problem.

I do suffer from bad insomnia. I am just a naturally hyper active person. I can't sit still. I can't watch movies without the erb. I feel like I'm wasting my life when i sit still for that long.

I don't drink much water at all. I live off milk lol.

I find it hard to find people who can keep up with my active lifestyle.

Im in my late 20's

Ive been a heavy erb user for 10+ years (4g a day) and i think this has a lot to do with it

maby its the zoloft? common side-affect is to not feel anything so maby look at that too.

• Like 5

maby its the zoloft? common side-affect is to not feel anything so maby look at that too.

Yeah i tried telling the GP this. She pretty much laughed at me

get rid of her...........

Ive had the same problem with a few GP's though

Maybe go see a herbalist or a naturopath. Try some natural alternatives.

• Like 1

beginning meditation can be difficult, basically people expect more than they'll get out of it at first,

just set a side 10-15 minutes at a set time each day and just sit there counting breaths,

doesn't need to be anything other than that

• Like 2