The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sol

Advice for Trich seedlings

Hey,

A few months ago a friend gave me some trich seeds. I don't have any experience with cacti and am just beginning my interest in plants but I decided to give them a go and put them in some perlite/topsoil sterilized mix to see what happened. Four months later, I have a bunch of little germinations in a small pot.

I've been spraying them with a mister once or twice a week but some of them are tipped over and the roots seem to be barely on the surface holding the seedlings. My plan is to repot them individually to give them room to grow and to not keep all my eggs in one basket (fungi etc..). But at their current size, it seems quite risky to transplant them.

I bought some Osmocote cacti soil and some pots but I'd like advice how to proceed. What soil will be best, lightening and temperatures. I'm in Perth which is quite chilli at the moment but I have a big green house in the garden that I thought could do the job.

What advice would you share? Is there any websites or books that I should read up on to learn the basics of cacti care ?

post-14590-0-55928400-1404376337_thumb.j

post-14590-0-55928400-1404376337_thumb.jpg

post-14590-0-55928400-1404376337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sol

Hey mate! Sounds like you're doing everything well so far. Just keep them where they are, re-adjust them if need be, and watch out for mould/green algae.
I would use a copper spray now and again when watering. Trich's are tough, they can handle the moisture, but it would be best to let them dry out for a few days periodically to toughen them up.

There's no real need to over think it with Trichocereus.

All the best!

I had the same problem with my first batch. Your soil is probably too compacted. Don't bother transplanting them at this stage, quite a few will die.

Keep it relatively humid and give them plenty of indirect sunlight and they should pick themselves up after a few months - if not, you can poke a 1cm hole in the soil and drop them in (root first obviously) and lightly pack them in. The stem that is in the ground will die but the plant will be secure and continue growing.

At this stage I would not let the soil dry out. They need to have moist soil for approx another 6 months.

Best of Luck!

• Like 1

Thank you both for the great advice, I'll definitely use your suggestions. I guess like any new parent I freak out a bit about seeing them so little and being my responsibility :)

• Like 2

Hello Sol,

here´s what i would recommend to do. Dig in the One that is laying on the side or it might die. Take a little knife/pencil and make a tiny hole, carefully put in the seedling and cover the root with some soil.

And then, you cover everything but the seedlings with 8 mm quartz stones and water it regularly. If you keep em at temps below 30 degrees, they will grow and be just fine. Give water every day or two, but only after the soil has dried up again. That´s it. No Rocketscience but the stones are really important to keep away moss. bye Eg

• Like 2