The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-YT-

Charity

So i dunno if people listen to triple j much but anyway they are doing this charity drive to get people to donate jackets to those less fortunate during winter, whilst i agree its a great initiative its seems to me anyway that the media drive about donations has become more about the bands and famous people donating ( like you can check out the jackets they donated on twitter etc ) more so than about the actual people and circumstances that lead these people to these certain situations of inequality.

anyway i was concerned that the energy of this campaign seems to be going into feel good philanthropy rather than genuine concern about others which in and of itself says a lot about our society as a whole. i actually sent triple j's the doctor a msg on fb about this and the reply was that the issue needs more depth and time which apparently his 12.5hour a week show just cant fit in. now im not trying to be an asshole although im pretty good at that rather just interested why the main focus was on the donators rather than the root cause of the issue

• Like 1

has our society become that selflish that we need to somehow incentive charity with a megre 15mins of fame or am i just a douche :D

has our society become that selflish :D

Yes

• Like 3

Just to clarify

The Artists aren't donating their Jackets to charity, They are donating their jackets to be auctioned off, all money raised goes to the cause

Seems like a really nice thing to do in my opinion

http://www.vinnies.org.au/page/News/National/Triple_J_Jacket_Off_Auction_Supports_the_Vinnies_Winter_Appeal/

Not only does it raise large sums of money for the cause but it also helps gives the cause heaps of publicity

Every afternoon The Dr has been interviewing people from Lifeline, Red Cross, Salvos, Smith Family, and Vinnies so i dont think its fair to make out like he isnt trying to help with his 12.5 hour air time.

After almost 2 weeks of constantly encouraging Australian youths to sorts out there wardrobe and donate whatever they can to help people less fortunate i think everyone involved in the campaign deserves a hug.

How much money will autually go to the poor? 20cents of every dollar? After all the event planners and publicists all need their cut. Charities have always been incentivised either by religion, rewards, or herd mentality allowing all involved to give themselves a smug pat on the back for helping the needy one day of the year. Maybe I am just cynical but when the finance report comes out, if it is released, let me know how much money actually made its way to the poor. All charities are for the most part leeches feeding off emotional guilt.

• Like 1

All auction proceedings will be directed to the 2014 Vinnies Winter Appeal.

So far the 3 donating artist have almost made $1000 each for the cause.

These auctions are more about publicity for the campaign

The point of the campaign is to get Australian youths to donate quality warms clothes they dont need anymore to others who are in more need.

Its not really a money grab, its more like effectively recycling quality clothing to reducing wastage

Charities are never about helping others, they're about making ourselves feel better. I'll bet that a majority of the folks who voted for Tony Abbott also donate to charities, but when they do so, not one of them will be considering the irony that their actions may have contributed to putting some of those people in the poorhouse to begin with! There are far more constructive ways to help poor people than giving them your old shoes. I believe charities help to prop up unequal systems by giving those in money/power the illusion that there's some kind of safety net in place to catch everyone who falls thru the cracks. This helps them to justify their self-serving actions when voting, running their business, making investments, and every other aspect of their lives, and lets them feel ok about doing things like supporting Nestle and firing their pregnant workers. And this way they don't ever have to think about fixing our society so that charity is no longer necessary.

There are quite a few members on here who run charity actions

Personally i think its a really noble thing to do, I struggle to see how there contribution makes them Tony Abbott voters

Charities are never about helping others, they're about making ourselves feel better. I'll bet that a majority of the folks who voted for Tony Abbott also donate to charities, but when they do so, not one of them will be considering the irony that their actions may have contributed to putting some of those people in the poorhouse to begin with! There are far more constructive ways to help poor people than giving them your old shoes. I believe charities help to prop up unequal systems by giving those in money/power the illusion that there's some kind of safety net in place to catch everyone who falls thru the cracks. This helps them to justify their self-serving actions when voting, running their business, making investments, and every other aspect of their lives, and lets them feel ok about doing things like supporting Nestle and firing their pregnant workers. And this way they don't ever have to think about fixing our society so that charity is no longer necessary.

Hi Anodyne,

I am currently running a charity concert to raise money to help me complete a youth centre. I entered this field over a decade ago to give back what was given to me. I was homeles from the age of 13 & without the help of homeless charities I would be dead or in jail. So far this year I have helped a very large number of homeless find stable accommodation & provided food for many starving families.

The truth of the matter is that the government doesn't care & all government support will be extinct very soon & people like myself & the charities we support are desperately trying to find ways to become self sustaining in order to continue providing services to those most in need.

I sincerely hope you will check out my thread & help spread the word.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?s=e7df4bffd2f5ff6f7d0d551a3d7d3e9b&showtopic=39052

Cheers

Muskrat, I appreciate your considerate response to my inflammatory rant. I shouldn't respond to things like this first thing in the morning. Or possibly at all.

I didn't mean to diss the people involved in this work, or give the impression that I thought it was unnecessary. Because I know damn well that it is. I've been involved also, from both sides of the equation, and "pay it forward" has become one of my basic tenets. But it still irks me that it *is* necessary. And, as you may have gathered, it enrages me beyond description when rich hypocrites use charity-donations to salve their consciences while continuing their wicked ways. Ok, so now I've started ranting again. Damn, I'll try again. Kudos muskrat, best of luck. I grew up in a similar community and know what a difference something like this can make. And for what it's worth, this is very much the kind of positive social action that I do support. I just hate it when it becomes a substitute for wider actions. Without our charity organisations, many many people would be in hospital or gaol or the ground. But trying to improve the legal, health & welfare systems that put them in this position in the first place is just as important. Otherwise we're just bailing water endlessly.

Change, I think either you misread my post, or misunderstood the example I was trying to make (I think the logical flaw is called "converse error"?). I hope I've explained myself a bit better this time. But yeah, I'll give em a hug too if you like. :)

Thanks for clearing up some of my vague info change :) yeah the artists were auctioning off jackets and encouraged to take photos etc as were us common folks and whilst i dig the spreading of information via social networking it just came across to me anyway as some what self serving.I don't mean to detract from the great work that charity and volunteers do and i guess the point i was interested in is what Anodyne is talking about.

Correct me if im wrong but im sure that the Red Cross, The Smith family & Lifeline have no religious affiliation if that sort of thing is an issue for people and where there donations go