The Corroboree
Lichen+

Growing Banisteriopsis caapi in cold climates

Quite simply, I'd like to know if this can be done.

I live in Tasmania and know not of anyone else who has tried this. I was thinking I will order some plants from SAB (live plants... this is likely a quarantine issue, right?) and keep them in my bathroom over winter because apparently these plants will love the shower humidity - also, my bathroom is quite bright, but not in direct sunlight. I could keep them in the bathroom through winter, and as things start warming up later in the year, move them to my greenhouse - potentially just keeping them under my potting table.

Does anyone think that these young plants will survive the winter? Should I invest in a head-pad?

I've been searching around for information regarding cold-climate B. caapi but haven't found very much. I know people have had success in Melbourne, but it doesn't seem to of have been talked about very much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I reckon you could keep them alive in the bathroom through winter, but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble. I'd wait a few months and then buy them and get them straight into the greenhouse.

A heat pad would help if you do get them now, or keep the pots on a piece of polystyrene foam or something insulating so they aren't in contact with the cold floor. Just be aware that they will dry out quite fast on a heatpad.

They won't survive in a cold/unheated greenhouse for me..... I can get what I think are more sensitive plants through. If you're in a city (edit - or on the coast) it generally doesn't get as cold as out in the boonies (heat island effect), so it could be worth a go.

The rapid changes in a cold Tassie bathroom probably gunna be no good for them, but if might be worth an experiment...don't sit it close up on the window glass :wink:

All in all , IME I've found it to be a not so easy feat.... but that said I tend not to baby things through and watch them struggle.

Edit - I have got em through before...but lol I am over it :wink:

Edited by waterboy

im in ye colde englande and i grow them in an expandable propogator , its only year 1 though, they germinated through last winter

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=753 got a whole album of that propogator/rainforest box

this is how they were doing when they were born in winter

gallery_14443_753_236674.jpg

this shot is from the heart of winter too, I added more waterproof aquarium led strip lights since

gallery_14443_753_634449.jpg

front little pots being the banisteriopsis and alicia birthing vessels :) , got muricata too and trying to germinate virola in there...

here's the latest progress from today http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34545&page=26#entry469483

another fella from oz said they were a bit pricey but it could be easily DIY'ed with polycarbonate and a heatpad if done safely and with hardly any ventilation at all

these are in 100% humidity 24-7 , allows for chocolate and vanilla and psychotrias too tho :)

this is how far i have to go to grow these here , outdoors is zone 8 i think over here

come to think of it, im sure they could be over wintered in a plastic storage box like shroomers use for fruiting , but a really large one

... maybe on a heatpad or with some sort of safety barrier between them incase it gets too hot and melts it :)

- if you polycarbonate one into existance, add a front door,...; top access only- is a nightmare ;)

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

I reckon you could keep them alive in the bathroom through winter, but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble. I'd wait a few months and then buy them and get them straight into the greenhouse.

A heat pad would help if you do get them now, or keep the pots on a piece of polystyrene foam or something insulating so they aren't in contact with the cold floor. Just be aware that they will dry out quite fast on a heatpad.

Thanks for the advice - I think I will get some now, just for the sake of an experiment.

They won't survive in a cold/unheated greenhouse for me..... I can get what I think are more sensitive plants through. If you're in a city (edit - or on the coast) it generally doesn't get as cold as out in the boonies (heat island effect), so it could be worth a go.

The rapid changes in a cold Tassie bathroom probably gunna be no good for them, but if might be worth an experiment...don't sit it close up on the window glass :wink:

All in all , IME I've found it to be a not so easy feat.... but that said I tend not to baby things through and watch them struggle.

Edit - I have got em through before...but lol I am over it :wink:

In the city, so all good here.

I think I will get some now and give it a shot - if it doesn't work, I will buy more after winter (give a shot at germinating too, as I have some seed).

Question is, I don't mind baby sitting them for a year - but I will be going overseas for about a year (leaving early to mid 2015) and will have to get someone to look after my plants and would like to know if after one year of growth the b. caapi will need to be continually baby-sat.

I don't have any plant crazy friends, and my only expectation is that they water it, give it enough diffuse light, and let me know if anything weird happens to it (pests etc).

If this looks like it's going to be a multi-year baby sit saga, it may not be worth pursuing at all until yet another couple of years :(

Thunder Horse:

That is exactly the lengths in which I'm prepared to go, but due to my travel "restraints" (lol, I'm going to South America...) I may need to wait until I am a bit more well established where I'm living, either here, or the UK.

Awesome, awesome photos - I am mad jealous/inspired. Great job!

• Like 1

awww ty kindly and glad to inspire by all means and enjoy S.America !! now theres real jealousy :drool2:

i was hoping that growing them from seed here might give them a 1st generation to the early steps of hardiness breeding .......

that and well...because live plants here seem rare as rocking horse poop and the only choice i had was seeds :)

once i was told diplopterys cab sold in london for £350 and turned out to be alicia LOL, which were a few dollars as seeds

from world seed supplt

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

once i was told diplopterys cab sold in london for £350 and turned out to be alicia LOL, which were a few dollars as seeds

from world seed supplt

MY goodness, I bet you're glad you didn't splash out on that! One can't tread too carefully sometimes.

MY goodness, I bet you're glad you didn't splash out on that! One can't tread too carefully sometimes.

i wdnt have anyway at that price but yeah... what a liberty