The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zed240

my B Caapi is a little sad - advice?

Hi All,

I got a B Caapi from SAB about 9 months ago. It's the first and only one I've owned/cared for. He did super well over summer under shadecloth, (it's back in full sun now, if you can call our winter sun "full"), and has even been putting out new growth up until recently. It's in a large pot with rich soil and has a metal structure to climb that's about 1.2m tall.

I've attached some pics as in the last few days it's looking pretty sad. It's been quite cold and wet here in Adelaide so I'm thinking it may just be due to the weather and he'll bounce back in a few months come spring.

I'd just like a few opinions from more experienced Caapi growers though as to my plant's health and if I need to do anything other than wait for spring.

Cheers!

post-13830-0-07146300-1403052296_thumb.jpost-13830-0-05310800-1403052297_thumb.jpost-13830-0-96037000-1403052297_thumb.jpost-13830-0-87462200-1403052298_thumb.j

post-13830-0-07146300-1403052296_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-05310800-1403052297_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-96037000-1403052297_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-87462200-1403052298_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-07146300-1403052296_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-05310800-1403052297_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-96037000-1403052297_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-87462200-1403052298_thumb.jpg

For a tropical plant in a SA winter it looks OK to me. It should bounce back when the weather warms up.

Cheers Sally. Hopefully it explodes with growth in spring!

The main thing that caught my eye a few days ago was the brown spots on the leaves which you can see pretty well in the first pic. I wasn't sure whether that was some kind of disease or they just went like that when it was too cold for them.

When their metabolism slows down they can't assimilate nutrients properly so you will see all sorts signs of deficiencies. Normally it's just that the plant isn't actively pumping sap to feed them properly. Just don't overwater it while it's not growing.

Thanks. So would you suggest it's better to move it under cover so it doesn't get rained on all the time but would get less sun or leave it without any cover so it gets rained on but also gets more sun?

I stopped watering it myself basically when I stopped watering the cacti about 2 months ago.

I wouldn't worry about too much unless you are getting a lot of rain over an extended period. As long as the potting mix doesn't stay constantly wet all winter it should be OK. Maybe you can find a place that gets sun and is still protected from rain. Under the eaves of a house (if your house has eaves) would be good.

I'm with Sally mate, more than likely cold/seasonal related. I'm in tropical north qld and even up here mine starts looking a bit worse for wear this time of year. Should bounce back once it starts warming up a bit. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I had been thinking I might move it under the patio, but it doesn't get heaps of sunlight there. And then Sally mentioned the eaves and i realised I've got a nice white wall that's under the eaves so it will get the arvo sun bouncing off the white wall and get less rain too. So I'll move him there tonight. :)

i've been told they would rather have roots in the ground than a pot...maybe it'll get happy cappi for you then?.

if it's not feasible for you then so be it.

actually, nice :) that reminds me,i have to unpot the little n i have here in my backyard.cheers z

and don't forget to fertilize them ample during the active growing season, as they are very heavy feeders. if I were you, I would even fertilize her right now.

growing them, to a big size, in a small pot (every pot becomes small for them after a while) means to fertilize them, often.

the cold weather can make a caapi, look poor and like she is starving, and there is a good chance this is happening to you, but the pics look as well a bit like, she has been re potted into "crap potting mix".

I contemplated putting it in the ground when I got it but it was so small and had no leaves that wanted to get it going at least. It also took off extremely well from a 2 inch cutting to what it is now. When I think of a suitable long term place in the ground I will get it in the ground.

So what constitutes "crap potting mix" for a caapi? I used a mix containing premium osmocote potting mix, a small amount of coarse sand and pearlite, and some slow release organic fertiliser. I did read about them being very hungry when they are growing so I also ferted it with liquid fertilizer over the whole growing period at least once every 2 weeks and made sure to keep it wet in summer too.

• Like 1

zed, than it's all good, your potting mix sounds like it's good.

one eye, they grow alright in what we might call dappled shade.

I guess it's hard to describe, the many grades of shades, there are,... full shade could mean, so dark that most plants would not like it...

it's a climber vine so, it is used to start life, without a lot of direct sun.