The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
newageshaman

Prickly Lettuce's Sedating Qualities?

Hey guy's it has been awhile since I posted on here, and I have recently gained an interest in the prickly lettuce (aka lactua serriola) which is said to have similar if not more pronounced qualities then L.Virosa? My question is how potent can the processed resin be, as i am hoping to use the abundance of plants that i have been able to find to try and break away from smoking other more addicting herbs :wink:

This is more so because it has been taking a toll on me and my ability to work and with out this other herb i find it extremely difficult to get to be sleep at night often tossing and turning for hours on end, only to get a few measely hours sleep for the next work filled day. Would the effects from this plant be in anyones experience a worthwhile endeavour for a goodnights sleep? Thanks in advance :worship:

• Like 1

Don't know about L.serriola but I've never been overly impressed with L.virosa. Gave up growin the crap some time back... Mild sedative effect not worth the body load for me personally(upset stomach)

Edited by katu
  • Like 1

Planning on giving it a try for the next week and a bit, it grows like crazy all around my house so if it ends up agreeing with my body it may end up being my little herbal sleep aid.

I can only talk about lactuca virosa, and it certainly shows some marked effects, if one smokes the resin. I also seem to remember reports here of people falling asleep after prolonged sessions, but this report, could as well have been regarding the prickly (Mexican) poppy.

the results might vary for people with a tolerance to opiates, for obvious reasons.

prickly lettuce and prickly poppy, definitely are very active, but how shall I say, not as nice a somniferum. let's compare those two effects to the clouds in the sky, somniferum, is all a sunny cosy day, with a few fluffy white clouds, and wild lettuce and more so Mexican poppy, is a bit like, being held down, and watching dark clouds all around you.

• Like 4

The latex (and leaves, presumably) is most potent when the flower buds are growing.

It and virosa are good at making me drowsy. In late winter I use serriola as a vegetable, stuff grows like a weed here, even with those young tender plants I try to limit how much I eat so I dont get too drowsy.

Its sedating but not all that distinctly anxiolytic IME, if I were you I'd also give Heimia herb smoke a try, if available, to cut the anxiety from quitting the other herb.

Thanks for the replies Auxin and PH, i do have a bit of heimia laying about so I will give it a smoke and assess the effects for myself along with seriola. Hoping that this will help with any negative impacts from going cold turkey on my prefered smoking herb.

I actually don't mind A.mexicana(prickly poppy) but I can see what ph means by being a bit dark. The stuff grows everywhere I live. Man it is no fun to handle though. Appropiate common name that one :). Have you tried Californian poppy(E.californica). I find a strong tea about an hour before bed works a treat, can leave you feeling a little groggy in the morning though if you have to much. It's not a bad smoking herb either. Good luck!

Edited by katu
  • Like 1

katus idea with the, Californian poppy is a good one, and on top of a tea, you could smoke a bit of it, on top.

wild dagga, or leonotis, is another good, and very mildly sedating herb one can smoke, but as always, the smoking experience will suffer if the herb is not well cured.

giving pot a break, at least for me, is a really nice experience, sure there might be some withdrawl sensations, and it's almost impossible to sleep, but don't focus on that, focus on the fact that suddenly, you will have far more energy.

if you change your routine as well, a bit, than you will hardly miss the herb.

this forum has got some excellent, threads regarding quitting weed, maybe you search and find them.

• Like 2

I once had virosa resin and fell asleep within 15 minutes, same as my first experience with cali poppy. I smoked a fair bit mixed in with tobacco, half a balls worth that's the circumference of a 5c piece. Its hard to smoke... Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach the same effects again, probably an anxious reaction to hoping it works (once again in a similar situation that the OP is talking about).

I find on the nights I need a little help that 5HTP is great. Sometimes it still takes a while to doze off, but once you do its a sound evening. There are also stronger OTC pharmaceuticals but that's not what this thread is about, I just thought I'd heavily suggest you research first as 5yrs ago I did irreversible damage to my liver using them. (that last point was mainly in case you ever decide to go down that track in the future, if someone does they often dont talk about it openly!)

i got 5 grams from HHH 70:1 extract i washed it down with sum beers i was sick in the guts and had the poos.. lol after that i had a good nite sleep..

im with mr helper her sis has better clouds :scratchhead:

Edited by bullit
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 8:45 AM, planthelper said:

prickly lettuce and prickly poppy, definitely are very active, but how shall I say, not as nice a somniferum. let's compare those two effects to the clouds in the sky, somniferum, is all a sunny cosy day, with a few fluffy white clouds, and wild lettuce and more so Mexican poppy, is a bit like, being held down, and watching dark clouds all around you.

I've just been reading up on Argemone Mexica (prickly poppy) and Argemone Albiflora (white prickly poppy) its interesting how you guys report on a 'dark' feeling with pricklies, apparently the Aztecs used Albiflora in sacrificial rituals! perhaps that's why they used it? o.O seems like something in the same catergory as datura in regards to its vibe.

Akuamma seeds might help sleep