The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
halfhead

milk caps recipe of amazingness and glory!!!!

Why hello good people of earthly goodness! I thought I would share a 100+ year old family recipe with you :)

I will start by saying that my family, dirty Italian pasta munchers, comes from a very small village in southern Italy. They needed to make salami, other cured meats, tomato sauce for pasta as well as pickle milkcaps. They relied on this for survival. They used to pick saffron milkcaps in Europe then moved to Sydney in '68 and have been picking at Oberon every April since then :)

I had a chat with a few folk at the sub camp this year and thought I would share our recipe :) if I can, when at my PC, I'll upload pics that go along with the recipe.

OK... So this is quite simple but trust me, the results are super addictive and will be a flavour explosion of awesomeness in Ur mouth!!

Once picked and taken home, clean all the gunk off them. Green moldy stuff isn't a problem, in fact I left my shrooms out for 2 days, they turned mostly green under the gills and my mum said that's normal. You can store them in the fridge for a week or so and will be fine. Despite the green.

Next step, chop them up. They only need to be as big as the hole in the jar but you can chop them as finely as you like. I generally chop them to about 1cm strips about 1-2inches long. Once chopped put them into a pot for the stove.

Next you need to mix vinegar and water to boil the mushrooms in. My mum said "put water and vinegar together and mix salt thru until you like the flavour then add a touch more salt!" My dad said mix 50/50 vinegar/water and no salt! Both of their mushrooms are incredible so I'd suggest playing until you're happy :)

Once you find the ratio you like, add the fluid to the pot of shrooms and start to boil. Once the water is boiling cook it for a short amount of time. My mum said 6 minutes. My dad said between 10-20. My last batch was 10 mins and they came out amazingly!

Once boiled for x amount of time, pour the contents out into a strainer and let them cool down. Once cool, pat down the shrooms to squeeze out and excess fluid.

After they are cooled and squeezed, you can add things like garlic, chili, dried oregano(which is my mums recipe, amazing) or chili, fenel and oregano(dried always). You can be creative and add what you wish!

Put the shrooms and flavour mix into a jar and pack hem in tightly. Fill the jar with oil, done!!! After use, make sure the oil is covering the shrooms and they will last.... Well the longest ice had a jar is 2 years.

I hope you can find some pleasure from the milkys like I do :) I'm obsessed!!

Enjoy :)

-hH

• Like 3

P.s: I think you should have a recipe section :) chocolate happy caps!! Best idea ever!!!

hey -hH.

yum thanks for sharing. there is a recipes/food etc thread in chill space. you should pop this recipe in there for prosperity.

yum thanks for sharing your italiano familia recipe.

molto bene, grazie

Edited by cheshire
  • Like 1

would this work with other mushrooms? if so which types?

(i'm not familiar with the taste of milk caps :( )

thanks!

I has moved this thread to Chill Space Recipe Thread

hey -hH.

yum thanks for sharing. there is a recipes/food etc thread in chill space. you should pop this recipe in there for prosperity.

yum thanks for sharing your italiano familia recipe.

molto bene, grazie

Cheers :) now moved! And no probs! Open Source is my way of life :) hehe

would this work with other mushrooms? if so which types?

(i'm not familiar with the taste of milk caps :( )

thanks!

Good question. I am unsure and would be curious to know if you do try :) I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll ask my old man, he'll know for sure.

chocolate happy caps!! Best idea ever!!!

What, like this? :P

post-7430-0-31502700-1402485133_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1