The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Australian real crime films

in this thread discussing extreme/disturbing films ,

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37397&hl=%2Bdisturbing+%2Bfilms

someone proposed Wolf Creek, a horror/thriller based on real life ozzie serial killers. Some days ago I watched Snowtown, also a crime/horror based on real life serial killers based in Queensland.

Especially Snowtown seems to realistically depict life in a low-class neighbourhood of a small QLD town. I mean , Snowtown is much more social commentary than Wolf Creek.

Both real stories are pretty interesting to check out the detail ( I always do when seeing real crime films - films based on facts)

Have you seen them? What do you think about the way a poor ozzie neibourhood is depicted? Is it realistic?

Are there any other good ozzie/NZ films based on real criminals (crime/thriller/horror) ?

• Like 2

How about Chopper>? - one of my personaly Fav's and one of Eric Bana's best roles IMHO

its not all psycho killer or anything - but its definitely psycho ...

cheers

charliewired

• Like 1

I have a few ozzymandian horrormovies but i need to check the titles. Outcast? Body melt?

The loved ones.

Im not sure if it was inspired by real crimes but I think the movie itself inspired crimes, where the criminal acted out scenes of his favourite movie..??

Http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/2947991/

The movie was pretty well received, check it out

Edited by doublebenno
  • Like 1

animal kingdom (2010) was based on real events i believe

• Like 1

there was a mini series "blue murder" based around roger rogerson's affairs, i quite enjoyed it

• Like 1

Snowtown is actually in South Australia not qld.

Wanna hear some trippy shit mutant? im not far from the suburbs where some of that shit went down, when we had first moved here years ago was around the time when the house was knocked down years after bodies were dug up. but yeah pardon my french its a fucken weird story same goes for the movie i assume some would find it unsettling i know i did.

I have heard strange stories about the family abductions that happened in adelaide years ago 70s/80s apparently involving high profile people in positions of power abducting/drugging/torturing young men. Rob kelvin ( an SA newsreader) son was abducted and murdered i think this was what bought it to media attention.

Animal kingdom - is a good watch i enjoyed it, based somewhat on the Pettingill family & Walsh street shooting

Bikie wars, brothers in arms, based around events leading up to and involving the Milperra massacre. made for tv mini series ok watch for a tv gig lol

Something random for ya. Four years ago there was an especially vicious murder or a young woman and her family at kapunda about an hour from Adelaide, i had heard about it on the radio at work and saw some stuff in local news there had been a suppression order on the suspect, i thought it was a very sad story but didnt think much on it beyond that. Several weeks pass and i catch up with a friend of mine who i had worked with for years, we start chatting about the murders than he hands me a recent newspaper article with a picture of our old bosses step son as the killer. That blew me away it took me a few mins to actually comprehend that this little kid i had known was a psycho and had done this horrible thing. it had been years since we had worked at this place but we talked about what he was like then mostly just a shy young kid, always well spoken a timid personality. he would come in after school and on holidays and help out, sometimes play soccer with us at lunch. His mother also worked there they had come over from scotland she had been a single mum with two boys a very strong willed, tenacious woman never afraid to speak her mind, had worked hard to provide a stable upbringing for her boys. i always assumed he would grow up to become a decent enough human being.

From what ive read and heard it was a crime of passion as its called. The story being he was in love with this young lady who rejected his advances in favor of his mate.he tells this story that one night he believes that this mate is over there with his lady as he perceives so goes over there to confront them, (this mate was never there, and worse it seems it was premeditated) breaks in and murders the family the details are very brutal and i cant see how anyone in there right mind could do something so savage to another human being especially one they claim they love.

At first the police had no suspects, and i think he was even briefly questioned and told some strange story about a phantom person he saw lurking around the neighborhood earlier that same evening . On local news there was a small segment on it showing people laying flowers at a memorial near the house a couple days afterwards and this kid is there laying down flowers. he went back to work and people asked him about the strange marks on his arm, a cycling accident was what he told them. Just over a week or so the cops sussed out his bs story and got a work mate to drive him to the station after work under the pretext of making a statement or something like that.

Im not sure if he was always messed up in the head or the nature of his obsessive infatuation and fantasy of such further fueled the mental break, still claims all sorts of weird shit like the phantom lurker and in a letter to his mum he writes that he went around there at 1am in the morning to check up on her and found the tradegy etc A very sad event that rocked a local community and destroyed lives for no reason.

• Like 1

hey I didn't ask for ozzy horror, but ozzy real crime, usually its gangsters stuff rather than horror.

The loved ones is australian? Its considered somewhat good by torture horror fans, I thought it sucked and its definately NOT a true story.

the link is not working....

outcast? finding a non ozzie one.... Body melt??? one of a kind film, much more than 'horror' but also not real crime.

Animal kingdom, yeah this is a good one.

YT thanks for sharing, interesting stuff.... I think both ozzie most prolific serial killers groups are special cases, as they indeed were groups not individuals and this makes it somewhat more sick, more pervert and more scary

you crack me up mutanto.

i reckon you were born in alice springs but then was shipped away in a milo tin to el other

• Like 2

Yeah, i missed you were looking for real crime movies. Not sure about that. There may not be so many. I have a cool true crime 5-DVD Set called CIA. Maybe you can find that one online somewhere. It´s like Medical Detectives and all the 48 Hours Docos.

And the movie is certainly aussie

See the aussie movie "the boys" its based loosley on events leading up to the rape/murder (most brutal murder, seriously nightmarish) of young sydney nurse anita cobby, warning that the rape and murder of this poor lady is quiet brutal and will invoke alot of anger in some people, think about the movie "I spit on your grave" except more brutal and unforgiving, there were five men involved, three of the offenders recieved the very rare sentence of "never to be released" which is very rarely dealt to offenders in australia

Edited by ~shameless~
  • Like 1

Hey Mutant, you might get a kick out of the Underbelly TV series. All Australian True Crime Stories.

I'm going to second Animal Kingdom and Snowtown, both are amazing in my eyes.

yt. wtf. wow. was photographed laying flowers at the scene.nits kndo funny it got to that but its far far tragic moreso.

i had a friend who suffered from ocd. he to became infatuated witb a girl whom regected him... some really challenging times followed. challenging a pretty awkward. he didnt kill anyone but tried himself a couple of times witch upset family n freinds n tad.

chopper is cool. bana done a great job but, when i met choppa he was alot harder to understand than bana portrays. hes a bit of a mumble guts tbo.

underbelly is so full of shit it f'n pathetic.

i remember the movie 'two hands' as a a bit of a larrikan laughs/aussie crime movie. now whether it is real or not, or whether the events depicted actually took place is debatable(who's gunna tell you otherwise??) but it still made me laugh yet feel uneasy at times. Good australian filems will make you laugh but squirm - love that about our humour.

heath ledger is pivotal in this movie before Hollywood beckoned.... but the quintessential aussie actor david field

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/1138672-david_field/

steals the show for me. the scene with the bullets in his jeans in the washer made me cark up a good one.

a good snap shot of sydney at the time too.

lol too hot to handle bumper sticker.

yt. wtf. wow. was photographed laying flowers at the scene.nits kndo funny it got to that but its far far tragic moreso.

i had a friend who suffered from ocd. he to became infatuated witb a girl whom regected him... some really challenging times followed. challenging a pretty awkward. he didnt kill anyone but tried himself a couple of times witch upset family n freinds n tad.

chopper is cool. bana done a great job but, when i met choppa he was alot harder to understand than bana portrays. hes a bit of a mumble guts tbo.

underbelly is so full of shit it f'n pathetic.

I've never actually seen Underbelly so can't contribute any insight on it's worthiness I'm just aware of it's existence.

I've never actually seen Underbelly so can't contribute any insight on it's worthiness I'm just aware of it's existence.

didnt mean anything directed at anyone saying what i did.

most people i know have enjoyed underbelly. ive seen bit n peices and as theatre its ok i guess. i meant the story telling is bullshit. dudes writing the script wish they knew the real story. lol if they did im sure they would be making freinds in "high" places real quick.

not discrediting it as good veiwing or calling names upon those who enjoy the series. cool.