The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Philocacti

Lophophora fruit with weird texture

Today I picked a fruit from my huge lophophora which I'm doubting to be a hybrid with another genus

Here it is

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27888&page=4

And the fruit had a funky texture on it. It's the first time I see it as usually I pic the fruit off this specimen when it dries.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h101/Reptilecacti/imagejpg5.jpg

Is this normal? My other other L. williamsii have smooth fruits

It is not unusual for cacti to have fruits with hair or spines protruding, however, I have not personally noticed them on any of my Lophophora. Maybe it is just a one off ?

Did the fruit contain seed?

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 1

Thanks Hellonasty

The fruit had 2 seeds........maybe it's just this one fruit, I'll have to keep an eye open on the coming fruits from this specimen to find out

It looks like the spent flower is still attached on top wich could account for the hair. Also as helonasty said it is jot uncommon for cacti to have hairy and even spiny fruit.

Did you eat the.fruit? I do not grow lophs so have never tried the fruit but I have tried an obregonia fruit before the plant mysteriously died during winter dormant. I swear it tasted like a cherry!

• Like 1

Yeah, strange fruit for sure for pure Lophophora, not only with the weird nodules on the pod, but also the flat top. Ariocarpus hybrid?

~Michael~

• Like 1

I've always thought this is hybrid for a few reasons. Small spines can be seen on new pups or felt on it very lower areola. Its flower seems very different from any loohophora I've seen.

I never knew that loohophora and ariocarpus can hybridize.

I wouldn't know what it is as I bought it14 years ago from a nursery. I must add that this nursery only had 4 ariocarpus specimen until 2009. So the possibility is not so high but it's still probable.

Looking back on the thread I found this pic and the fruits seem smooth like a regular fruit

post-6382-0-80192700-1402070894_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-80192700-1402070894_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-80192700-1402070894_thumb.jpg

It looks like the spent flower is still attached on top wich could account for the hair. Also as helonasty said it is jot uncommon for cacti to have hairy and even spiny fruit.

Did you eat the.fruit? I do not grow lophs so have never tried the fruit but I have tried an obregonia fruit before the plant mysteriously died during winter dormant. I swear it tasted like a cherry!

I tried them a few times, they're sweet but they're too small to be worth eating IMO, so I don't anymore

Another strange looking fruit

When it was younger the fruit it produced looked normal

post-6382-0-49557400-1414851874_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-49557400-1414851874_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-49557400-1414851874_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Grow it and you'll know it! If it is rare it is special!! Then I want the seeds or pups of it's offspring!! Pretty pretty please!!! :D

Yeah the fruits are quite tasty which is why ants etc seem to love em, cant count the amount of pods ive lost to ants lol. Def looks weirder than the standard fruit let us know how the seed goes :)

Grow it and you'll know it! If it is rare it is special!! Then I want the seeds or pups of it's offspring!! Pretty pretty please!!! :D

Will do my friend ;)

YT- 2 years ago, I had the same problem. I'd be pulling fruits as early as they pop cuz if I don't, ants would eat the fruit and steal the seeds. However last summer I didn't have this problem.

I'll plant the seeds and post an update every once in a while. However I doubt the offspring will be different than any regular Lophophora.

We'll see.