The Corroboree
carlturney

Melbourne Growers Group - New Venue and Next Meeting?

Hi All,

***** (1) Pavilions at Melbourne's Royal Botanic Gardens being burnt down:

So it's true? The Tecoma Pavilion wasn't burnt? Anyone been there to have a look-see since mid May?

Even so, I'm thinking that the officially scheduled demand for Tecoma will shoot way up (for weddings, anniversaries, etc.) because the others were destroyed. Meaning (especially in winter) we'll probably be sitting around in the rain, looking at others who are under cover.

***** (2) A new (better) venue from now on:

An alternative venue may be called for. Someplace cheap, not too far from the "centre" of Melbourne, with ample parking and weather cover.

Glen Iris has been the "centre of population" for Melbourne since the 1990s (q.v. Wikipedia). The Monash Freeway, Metro stations, and bus lines are all close, and I'm sure the parking would be better. It seems the fairest and most democratic place to shoot for, and may result in an increased turnout.

Anyone live in that local government area, and want to check out cheap meeting hall rentals? I'm happy to pay $2 to $5 for a warm dry place with a kettle. It's not like we get together all that often.

(3) Next actual meeting:

When ARE we gonna meet again? I really miss you guys. My propagation successes are still overwhelming the capacity of my garden, so I've got lots of established plants to give away.

(4) A name:

Maybe change our name from "the melbourne botanical garden ethnobotanical appreciation group" to something a bit less "botanical garden", and maybe with the word "growers" added? (We are uniquely interested in the practial aspects of cultivating and propagating very challenging species from all over the world.)

Cheers,

Old Man Carl

• Like 3

well i'm free whenever. warm and dry place with kettle does sound nice, but i'm wondering if anybody would be interested in a field trip to go mushroom hunting? share some knowledge and experience while it's the season?

I'm down for whatever, if I can make it.

Trying to get traction on meets is a bit like herding cats. Sometimes just calling a date and I guess in this case a different venue is the way to go. Once people know something is on they'll either turn up or not.

Cool idea on the mushroom hunt Scarecrow. I'd be interested. I'd really like to know how to identify common edibles.

• Like 1

Trying to get traction on meets is a bit like herding cats.

...we better get greg kasarik onto it

• Like 2

Hi,

Wow, low response level, so far. Maybe better after we get something definite.

Yes, a mushroom foray (yep, that's the official word for it) sounds great. I can identify a couple of species definitively, and leave all the rest alone.

Any of you have any spare time to chase up the details of a meeting? I'm pretty busy with work, helping a family with an alcoholic, and catching up on a backlog of home office work.

Cheers,

Old Man Carl

i'm up for whenever, what about a month from now sunday july 6 2014

old man carl.......hehe.....you're not that old :)

we are booked out until the 20th july 2014.

20th july people, can we make this a lock in date? that's all i'm gunna say. i'm also very keen for a Herronswood trip to Digger's Simandnada and others who'd be keen for a foodie/herbie/planty walk session. Or even Blackwood - they'd be mushie edibles there i'd say.....we could proly fit in a trio of skinny bums in our sedan.

anywho, glen iris with a cup of cammo is sweet by my old bones too.

onya carl for adding some details.

as you can see, herding cats is something you need to stick....it's not as though those meowmeow's will go anywhere without some crunchies.

lets work this out planty's.

booyah boom shanker boom boom boom . rawhide!

• Like 1

okey dokey, let's pencil in july 20

• Like 1

July 20 ....tick.

I still like simhanadas idea. Diggers is not far from me :P

• Like 1

Hi All,

(1) I'm putting Sunday 20 July in my diary. There's a 50/50 chance that I will be working that day. But my plants to share will be there, even if I'm not.

(2) Still no venue.

So =no= one reading this thread lives in Boroondara (Kew, Balwyn, Glen Iris, Hawthorne, Camberwell, Canterbury, Surrey Hills, Ashburton)? Sigh.

Another possibility... Anyone an officer of a not-for-profit organisation? I think the Councils are expecting that, but they may let an unincorporated group meet a few times "so we can get ourselves organised and registered".

I'm running late for work, and WAY behind on chores, so can't throw any more time at organising it. Anyone wanna contact the Council and get more info on a cheap place on the 20th?

www.boroondara.vic.gov.au

Ring or text me on 0427 024 735 to coordinate. Thanks VERY much. I can front up to $50 to cover the rent/insurance/bond if needed in advance.

(3) (Not that old.)

"Too old to be cougar bait. Too young to die."

Cheers,

Carl

This next meet is only 5 days from now. This coming Sunday. Still on?

Is this a mushroom foray, or a seed/plant/cutting swap & discussion?

Is this an indoor venue, or a day out in the rain and cold?

Can anyone please give me further info about the exact location of Simandnada - Digger's - Herronswood? I can't find anything.

Thanks a lot.

Carl Turney

Mobile 0427 024 735

For some reason i cant copy the link and paste it, so I'll just tell you,lol. The meet is at The Botanical Gardens...yes...outdoors..brrr, but we are seasoned Melbournites so we can handle it....In saying that though...i am not sure if i have the day off work yet.

The thread is in this sub-forum (News and notices) and is pinned right at the top under Melbourne Meet. :)

• Like 1