The Corroboree
hypnotoad

Help with coffee needed.

So I've come this far, can anyone tell me the best method of processing coffee beans in small scale?

I want to make chocolate coated coffee beans. Thanks.

post-8332-0-15855300-1401745878_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-31020100-1401745891_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-15855300-1401745878_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-31020100-1401745891_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-15855300-1401745878_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-31020100-1401745891_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just remove the pericarp, i ind most coffee varieties are sweet enough so we just sit around eating the fruit & spitting the seed into a bowl. give them a good rinse & place on a tea towel in an airy spot to dry.

Once dry toast them in an electric popcorn maker to roast them.

If you find an easy way to chocolate coat them let me know, as the only thing we really succeeded with was chocolates cast in a mold & then topped with our beans.

• Like 3

ferment the beans in water. the sugar in outer skin will soak into bean and make skin easy to remove. dry the beans to a moisture level of 11 or 12 percent. do this slowly or inside of bean will have more moisture than outside of bean. remove husk from bean. this is ur final green bean u now need to roast. use hot air to roast. a popcorn machine should suffice. the beans will expand when u roast and the outer skin will stretch so the final product should be smooth and not have a wrinkly testicle like skin :) the beans will do 2 cracks. on the second crack they relrase oil so this is a dark roast. if u stop it before the second crack its a med roast. good luck.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the help, I'll get back to you on the chocolate coating shortly. I'm not sure of the strain, it's seed grown from 'arabica' seeds.

yea katuhi is arabican. to make ur tree fruit try stressing it by not watering for a month or so just before the wet season. it should push it into flower when stressed like this. your welcome :)

I second the popcorn maker suggestion. Most of them are roughly the same size and about 1/3 of a cup of green beans is the perfect quantity. Too much in one batch and they will not tumble around enough and the roast will be uneven. I posted a pictorial a while ago, it's a pretty self-explanatory process, but you might enjoy the pics nonetheless:

pics

• Like 1