The Corroboree
squidgygoanna

Acacia ID? Possibly Longifolia / Obtusifolia?

Question

Hey guys, found a heap of these trees up the back of my property in Rural Victoria. Anyone able to ID them?

http://imgur.com/a/SPn3X

11 answers to this question

If it's flowering now it's not obtusifolia, more likely to be a.longifolia. Could be something else but longifolia is a good guess, it should be starting to flower right about now, at least they are in my area.

If it's flowering now it's not obtusifolia, more likely to be a.longifolia. Could be something else but longifolia is a good guess, it should be starting to flower right about now, at least they are in my area.

Hasn't started flowering yet, which leads me to believe it could be an Obtusifolia.

Definately an obtusifolia in my opinion from what I can acertain from the pics :huh:

Edited by briliant_botanist

A close up of the phyllode tips would help, it certainly doesn't look like my local obtusifolias, but variation is likely over a.large range. When were the photos taken as it looks like it's starting to flower, and I don't see how it can be obtusifolia if it's flowering at the moment.

Here's my chance to make an arse out myself like I did the other day with a mushroom ID

Obtusifolia tends to have broader phyllodes with a blunt tip, although that trait (the blunt tip) sometimes isn't apparent at times of fast growth. Obtusifolia also seasonally has a red/purple hue in the new growth and sometimes even in older phyllodes

Another common trait for obtusifolia is a resinous coating on the new growth, again not always apparent.

It doesn't look like obtusifolia to me, I'd lean more towards longifolia or sub species.

It's worth testing.

Maybe this thread should be shunted to the Australian Natives forum.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2

Hi there, defiantly not the obtusifolia I've seen that's gone feral in parts of Vic (namely logged forests). These have much larger, more obtus phyllodes (hence the name). Also the veins in the leaf do not match any confirmed obtusifolia I've ever seen.

Good candidates for flowering acacias in your area would be longifolia and floribunda. I'm not sure if these can hybridise but there are some great acacia crosses found in natural stands down near Vic and on the border... Plus I'm sure there's a plethora of other acacias I'm not even familiar with in your area too! The bark and drunk however lend itself to longi and flori IME.

Definately an obtusifolia in my opinion from what I can acertain from the pics :huh:

Hi BB, can you explain which features have you thinking it's an obtus? I'm interested to hear as the morphology and phenotype of acacia is what I'm most into.

I am a total noob when it comes to acacia identification but I've read obtusifolia flowers December to February and longifolia flowers a bit earlier like November to December. It is June so it is far too early for either of these plants to be flowering right? Go have a look at worldwidewattle or see if you can get a field guide