The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

would you walk away from you job for $61k?

My job which I hate basically floated a redundancy offer of $61k if I walked away. What's reckon????

How longs a bit of string....! Only you know if it's worth it... What's other work opportunities like? That's not much money, maybe you could live comfortably for a year or so, but chances are your used to a lot more money per year than that if that's what they're offering?

• Like 3

Take the money if you have a plan. Only if you have a plan. You could invest it in a business, its a risk but you may only get this chance for just a certain amount of time. Find out how long this offer is on for and have a good think about what you can do with the money to make a positive and permanent change in your life.

• Like 1

It's only a job. The whole point of you being there is to make money. Now your being offered money on a silver platter and as a bonus you get to work somewhere else if your keen. Depends how old you are. If your 5 to 10 years from retirement then you might not be able to secure another job then it's worth holding on. But if your middle aged or young you can start again. Redundancy is a gift my friend.

• Like 1

I would be tempted. partly because I don't like my job either and I need a boot in the arse to make a move. There is nothing like not having a job to motivate you to find another!

if you were careful this could buy you the time to think about what you really want in your next job and find it.

this could be a great opportunity and the boot in the arse you need ;)

• Like 1

Depends. Do you own your house? How far away are you from retirement? How quickly could you realistically pick up a new job that could cover your living expenses?

Well, now we know who to come to for a loan :wink:

• Like 1

after taxes, it won't be much... and so you MAY survive between 1 and 5 years.

as i age, i kinda feel like, i wouldn't leave my current job unless i already have another lined up.

unless your very proficient in your field, and that could start-up your own business in the field? that could work! (i'd actually leave my job if i had 2yrs wages sitting there, i'd make a product to compete and sell to company's in my field)

Consider

1: If you dont take the pay out now, are you likely to still have your position in 2 years? I know a bloke who turned down a pay out, his job evaporated 6 months later & he is still trying to get his entitlements 3 years down the track.

2: Your health, seem far too many bloke get sicker & sicker in jobs they loath but cant bring themselves to quit. Seen more than a few go to their graves miserable & very fucked up.

3: Do you have any debt? Debt is THE killer!!!

4: Think laterally, Australia is in a very precarious position at present so unless you happen to be in sex drugs or organized crime (public and or private sector) no one seems to be making much $'s so look at different options.

And not the ones financial advisers are offering, they almost all look like one way trips into poverty over time. You want/need different ideas not the same as everybody else!

Get creative and good luck

• Like 1

If you hate your job anyway & know in your heart that it's time I say go for it. I walked away from 85k PA because of burnout. I've never made the same amount of money since but I sleep now which is far more valuable to me than any amount of money.

Your post kind of says to me that you want to take the offer & you're looking for someone to let know that it is OK if you do. Well it is perfectly OK.

Peace :)

• Like 2

Take money n get the hell outa there

If it is a job to you, and not a vocation, and you can get other work, AND you've considered all of the above, get the fuck out of there.

Job dissatisfaction and stress are not what you want to remember at the end of your days. Particularly if you work with dickheads (workmates or customers/clients).

However if it is your calling in life, and you get tonnes of job satisfaction and contentment from making a difference in the world and doing what you love stick with I say!

No way I would trade my position for a cash payout, unless it was forced on me I suppose.

U want out of there anyhoo yeah ? I'd take it! Pay ur mortgage and bills for 6 months or so cruise about chill axing thinking bout what u really wanna do :) if only my work offered me 60k redundancy ! Lucky bastid !!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys - your perspectives have helped me in ways you probably wouldn't comprehend.

job prospects hard to say as I'm a technical writer and editor so it isn't a strong area at the moment.

I'll do the math and decide. Thanks!! I love this site!