The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
_Cursive

Hi! :) Since I'm new & don't have street cred yet....

Hi guys! :)

I'm kinda new on here I guess, a long time lurker. I saw the recent post on peoples opinions on the Koehres seeds and the opinion is the same as mine, pretty average at best.

What other sites would you recommend for purchase?

Thanks for your time, and I hope to share a few pictures soon and get to slowly know people :)

Thanks in advance!!

JT

Hi JT_NZ,

Welcome mate, If your keen to collect the best fresh Tricho cross & Loph seeds just keep participating here & you will find a lot of friendly members willing to share/trade/sell. There are members here who are producing some very nice crosses, there are also a lot of us that keep & collect seed from all other kind of cactus.

What kind of cactus seed are you looking for?

Cheers

Jox

• Like 3

Hey mate! :) I see you post all the time. You're always friendly and helpful, appreciate it!

I'm after seeds along the lines of Aztekiums Turninicarpus Ariocarpus etc. Any other genera like these really :)

Do you know of any sites that have fresh seed? I have had ZERO luck with Aztekium, and not much luck with others either from Koehres.

Cheers!!

In Summer, in a seed raising dome from Bunnings.
It's not my germination technique, as ALL my fresh seeds germinate, but they're just 'run-of-the-mill-boring'. It's hard finding a place to purchase the genera I mentioned above, and to also be FRESH.

Hmmm. Any links would be appreciated :)

Peace...

JT.

Edited by JT_NZ

hey stranger. about time you got involved here. you'll find the most generous and knowledgeable members here

bummer you didn't get any aztekiums to pop. i'll pm you a person that may be able to help you out.

In Summer, in a seed raising dome from Bunnings.

It's not my germination technique, as ALL my fresh seeds germinate, but they're just 'run-of-the-mill-boring'. It's hard finding a place to purchase the genera I mentioned above, and to also be FRESH.

Hmmm. Any links would be appreciated :)

Peace...

JT.

How long did you have the aztekium seeds in the sprouting area before you gave up? even once they sprout they are smaller than grains of sand and many times the seeds are still covering them.

I watched a seedling tray for 6 months before i could see any growth at all, Aztekium ritteri is what i planted and i had decent germination rates of it too. its just a huge pain in the ass to not splash the seeds around with watering and they are just in General the hardest species of cactus to grow by seed. i used an old syringe without the needle to drip the water in carfully to avoid disturbing the seed or the sprouted cactus. it is so easy to kill them.

Also depends on the soil you used. If there was no lime stone then you were fucked from the start. I have never been able to sprout aztekium without it

I went ahead and bought two nice Aztekium grafts one 14 headed and the other 36 headed. I cant wait 2 years to graft seeds and wait another 4 for it to get bigger.

post-14984-0-60583500-1401218094_thumb.j

post-14984-0-60583500-1401218094_thumb.jpg

post-14984-0-60583500-1401218094_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've actually had really good luck with aztekium seeds from ebay. A lot more than the seeds from koehres.

• Like 1

I've actually had really good luck with aztekium seeds from ebay. A lot more than the seeds from koehres.

Mine flowered today so now i will have my own seed to try

• Like 1

Where did you get the ridiculous idea limestone is necessary for the germination of aztekium seeds?! Limestone is DEFINITELY NOT NECESSARY for the germination of aztekium let alone any other cacti seeds! It is not even a necessary soil amendment. Just because in your subjective experience it is necessary do not go around spreading misinformation or conjecture as fact.

Billy the Kid: I'm in New Zealand, so it's almost, if not impossible to get in live cacti past our customs. You say lime stone is needed. I take it lime stone has an alkaline pH? So maybe garden lime would work too? I germinate all my cacti on top of a fine pumice layer with potting mix underneath. I haven't tossed them out, I'm still hoping they might germinate at some stage.

Thanks for your input! Appreciated!! :)

Hostilis: I'll try some seed from Ebay, do you have a particular guy/company you use? PM if you wouldn't mind please dude? :)

PM sent mate :wink:

from memory "hydrated" lime is to be avoided. the other stuff is great for mexicans.

ive also heard aztekiums grow naturaly with a particular fungi. this would explain the hard time growers have with it. good luck finding out what fungi and replicating it though. but none the less aztekium can begrown without it successfully. you just have to be a mad c#@t.

Cool! Thanks for the tips! :)

Cool! Thanks for the tips! :)

a little of topic but what cacti is that fruit in your avatar from?

a little of topic but what cacti is that fruit in your avatar from?

fruit is from the legendary TrueBlue, LoL

post-3765-0-06388800-1401640107_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-06388800-1401640107_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-06388800-1401640107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To be clear, there is only one existing specimen of True Blue peruvianus - and Zelly tends to it with great care and devotion - in all the times I've been over to his cactus museum he's never let me even see it.. Nor anyone else..

That's a trichocerus? I thought it was a cereus. Lol. Crazy looking plant. And the fruit looks like it would be super delicious.

Edited by hostilis

I think Zelly's taking the piss. He knows it's a pilosocereus. ;)

Whoops! I thought trichocereus when I heard nitrogen say peruvianus. Lol. :scratchhead:

I think it is the trueicus blueicus. It is get rare feom what I hear hahaha

Definately a "true blue"

Here's a song a great Aussie folk singer wrote to honour the True Blue

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWKrsJX9N4

• Like 1

Here's a song a great Aussie folk singer wrote to honour the True Blue

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWKrsJX9N4

Apparently he penned that song after a 24hr voyage to visit the true blue god who gave him this icaros for people in search of the "true blue" but after brewing one up it Definately isn't a cockatoo, haven't tried mum and dad yet.