The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Herbalist

How long till harvest? (Pics)

Hey guys,

Tobacco plants flowering and was wondering how long do you they've think got till they reach maturity?

Tobacco

First year attempt at growing them, any tips or thoughts would be great.

Sorry for photo quality on have an old smartphone atm.

well first off if you are looking to harvest it you need not let it flower. when you let it flower you take away some of its nutrient that goes into leaf production

In you are planning on collecting seed you only need one or two plants for that.

Harvest time depends on a few things like when you planted it. But so far as i know you should do it around 40-60 days after its transplanted from its seedling container you should start harvesting from the bottom up. you can harvest it for a few weeks at a time.

Cheers mate yeah already have a ton of seed.

So its recommended to keep topping new flower shoot in order to get bigger leaves?

All have been topped atleast once before. Shes a great plant to grow.

Start picking the lower leaves now and keep picking them over the next few weeks. Be prepared to get your ams covered in sticky goo.

I wouldn't worry about removing flowers, the leaves they develop before they flower are the best ones & picking flowers won't really make them produce many more large leaves.

Thanks Sally, thats what ive heard i think its to late to trim the flowers off now. I harvested a small amount of lower leaves 2 week ago and they are curing as we speak definitely smelling nice.

Id rather get as much seed as possible so i can give some away :D

Start picking the lower leaves now and keep picking them over the next few weeks. Be prepared to get your ams covered in sticky goo.

I wouldn't worry about removing flowers, the leaves they develop before they flower are the best ones & picking flowers won't really make them produce many more large leaves.

wont get covered in sticky goo from just pulling a few flowers, that takes all day pulling leaf in the field.

TBH i would not worry about removing at this point either as it only makes a difference when you catch it early. But it does matter when caught at the right time.

Lived in one of the largest tobacco producing states in america for my whole life, it is about the only thing that grows in the dirt around here because all we have is red clay. Been working on tobacco farms for my whole life.

• Like 1

wont get covered in sticky goo from just pulling a few flowers, that takes all day pulling leaf in the field.

TBH i would not worry about removing at this point either as it only makes a difference when you catch it early. But it does matter when caught at the right time.

Lived in one of the largest tobacco producing states in america for my whole life, it is about the only thing that grows in the dirt around here because all we have is red clay. Been working on tobacco farms for my whole life.

So you must be very experienced :)

I will definitely take that advice for next year. I do have a plant which i have topped from the begining and will continue to top her.

Will be a good comparision as i can tell it makes more leaves but they are smaller.

Ive also read the leaves are getting close to harvest when they are sticky? Another good sign other than the yellowing of leaves.

I can imagine this plant could grow just about any where, quite a strong plant once established and no real predators

Edited by Herbalist

So you must be very experienced :)

I will definitely take that advice for next year. I do have a plant which i have topped from the begining and will continue to top her.

Will be a good comparision as i can tell it makes more leaves but they are smaller.

Ive also read the leaves are getting close to harvest when they are sticky? Another good sign other than the yellowing of leaves.

I can imagine this plant could grow just about any where, quite a strong plant once established and no real predators

Most tobacco i have ever had the leaves 3/4 the way up are normally the "best" because they were developed right before natural flowering where as the ones towards the bottom were used for getting the plant much larger, and the ones after 3/4 up are normally malnourished from flower development or the possibility of development.

anything from halfway up to 3/4 up should be your grade A crop, everything else is just side product.

What kind of soil is it in? Tobacco thrives in the worst soil conditions, and does not so well in organic full soil. Here in America we grow them in pure clay with no other soil, in fact we remove nutrient from the soil as best we can to make it the worst possible conditions for any other plant. wild flowers and any kind of flower weed are used to grow in the fields during off seasons or years where it was not grown in that field. its a good tactic to get the nutrients out.

it also really depends on what kind of tobacco you are growing.

Im growing cowboy lite tobacco and burley tobacco.

Thats a great tactic to eliminate weeds by making the soil malnurished. The soil i have is just straight up garden soil been there for as long as i can remember and just dropped some all purpose fertiliser and compost in there weeks before planting.

The plants look quite healthy and im only growing 8 as i smoke socially and a maximum of say 2 or 3 a day, got one of those ecigarettes which really killed my habit.

Im hopining i get around 200 grams for the 4 big ones and the other 4 are smaller in pots as a test for winter.

Any estimates on harvest wise for 4 full grown plants?

Im growing cowboy lite tobacco and burley tobacco.

Thats a great tactic to eliminate weeds by making the soil malnurished. The soil i have is just straight up garden soil been there for as long as i can remember and just dropped some all purpose fertiliser and compost in there weeks before planting.

The plants look quite healthy and im only growing 8 as i smoke socially and a maximum of say 2 or 3 a day, got one of those ecigarettes which really killed my habit.

Im hopining i get around 200 grams for the 4 big ones and the other 4 are smaller in pots as a test for winter.

Any estimates on harvest wise for 4 full grown plants?

Just so you know "cowboy lite tobacco" is a Burley Tobacco and burley tobacco is not an exact genus or species but a general type of tobacco most popular in its use for smoking. If you know the exact species it helps.

With my searching for your named cowboy lite tobacco i came across an amazon page which sold it so i assume you bought it there?

And TBH i dont know how much 4 plants would yield, most of the work i did was with fields of the stuff and we never gave 4 plants much thought.

Just so you know "cowboy lite tobacco" is a Burley Tobacco and burley tobacco is not an exact genus or species but a general type of tobacco most popular in its use for smoking. If you know the exact species it helps.

With my searching for your named cowboy lite tobacco i came across an amazon page which sold it so i assume you bought it there?

And TBH i dont know how much 4 plants would yield, most of the work i did was with fields of the stuff and we never gave 4 plants much thought.

Smart man nailed the source on the head.

On the seed packet it says Cowboy Lite and the other seed packet says Burley Lite.

Had no idea they were of the same genus. But im assuming good for cigarettes.

All good man should get a fair amount that'll last me a few months anyway.

Smart man nailed the source on the head.

On the seed packet it says Cowboy Lite and the other seed packet says Burley Lite.

Had no idea they were of the same genus. But im assuming good for cigarettes.

All good man should get a fair amount that'll last me a few months anyway.

Technically speaking all tobacco plants are in the same genus of nicotiana which is in the Solanaceae (nightshade) family of plants.

What you were thinking of is species name. like Nicotiana tabacum.

Here is a basic rundown of the known or used "species" of tobacco though they may not have any particular latin name.

Your cowboy blend falls into the Burley category of smoke.

from Wiki

• Aromatic fire-cured is cured by smoke from open fires. In the United States, it is grown in northern middle Tennessee, central Kentucky and inVirginia. Fire-cured tobacco grown in Kentucky and Tennessee are used in some chewing tobaccos, moist snuff, some cigarettes, and as a condiment in pipe tobacco blends. Another fire-cured tobacco is Latakia, which is produced from oriental varieties of N. tabacum. The leaves are cured and smoked over smoldering fires of local hardwoods and aromatic shrubs in Cyprus and Syria.
  • Brightleaf tobacco, Brightleaf is commonly known as "Virginia tobacco", often regardless of the state where they are planted. Prior to theAmerican Civil War, most tobacco grown in the US was fire-cured dark-leaf. This type of tobacco was planted in fertile lowlands, used a robust variety of leaf, and was either fire cured or air cured. Most Canadian cigarettes are made from 100% pure Virginia tobacco.[12]
  • Burley tobacco, is an air-cured tobacco used primarily for cigarette production. In the U.S., burley tobacco plants are started from palletized seeds placed in polystyrene trays floated on a bed of fertilized water in March or April.
  • Cavendish is more a process of curing and a method of cutting tobacco than a type. The processing and the cut are used to bring out the natural sweet taste in the tobacco. Cavendish can be produced from any tobacco type, but is usually one of, or a blend of Kentucky, Virginia, and burley, and is most commonly used for pipe tobacco and cigars.
  • Criollo tobacco is a type of tobacco, primarily used in the making of cigars. It was, by most accounts, one of the original Cuban tobaccos that emerged around the time of Columbus.
  • Dokha, is a tobacco originally grown in Iran, mixed with leaves, bark, and herbs for smoking in a midwakh.
  • Turkish tobacco, is a sun-cured, highly aromatic, small-leafed variety (Nicotiana tabacum) that is grown in Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, and Macedonia. Originally grown in regions historically part of the Ottoman Empire, it is also known as "oriental". Many of the early brands of cigarettes were made mostly or entirely of Turkish tobacco; today, its main use is in blends of pipe and especially cigarette tobacco (a typical American cigarette is a blend of bright Virginia, burley and Turkish).
  • Perique, a farmer called Pierre Chenet is credited with first turning this local tobacco into the Perique in 1824 through the technique of pressure-fermentation. Considered thetruffle of pipe tobaccos, it is used as a component in many blended pipe tobaccos, but is too strong to be smoked pure. At one time, the freshly moist Perique was also chewed, but none is now sold for this purpose. It is typically blended with pure Virginia to lend spice, strength, and coolness to the blend.
  • Shade tobacco, is cultivated in Connecticut and Massachusetts. Early Connecticut colonists acquired from the Native Americans the habit of smoking tobacco in pipes, and began cultivating the plant commercially, even though the Puritans referred to it as the "evil weed". The Connecticut shade industry has weathered some major catastrophes, including a devastating hailstorm in 1929, and an epidemic of brown spot fungus in 2000, but is now in danger of disappearing altogether, given the increase in the value of land.
  • White burley, in 1865, George Webb of Brown County, Ohio planted red burley seeds he had purchased, and found that a few of the seedlings had a whitish, sickly look. The air-cured leaf was found to be more mild than other types of tobacco.
  • Wild tobacco, is native to the southwestern United States, Mexico, and parts of South America. Its botanical name is Nicotiana rustica.
  • Y1 is a strain of tobacco cross-bred by Brown & Williamson in the 1970s to obtain an unusually high nicotine content. In the 1990s, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) used it as evidence that tobacco companies were intentionally manipulating the nicotine content of cigarettes.

yeah i knew that their all part of the Nicotiana tabacum sp.

I just didnt know cowboy lite was under the burley tobacco catergory, if im correct?

Cheers for the bit of information mate.

What would you recommend as another good variety for ciggies i.e. Virginia Gold, Turkish etc?

yeah i knew that their all part of the Nicotiana tabacum sp.

I just didnt know cowboy lite was under the burley tobacco catergory, if im correct?

Cheers for the bit of information mate.

What would you recommend as another good variety for ciggies i.e. Virginia Gold, Turkish etc?

Any of the Virginia Strains are really good. I especially enjoy those which fall under the brightleaf category, thats one of the first kinds of tobacco which was brought over to America and was grown in virginia along side Hemp.

This website has many good listings of brightleaf. My personal favorite strain is cherry red.

http://sustainableseedco.com/bright-leaf-tobacco-seed-types/

Its funny that the best tobacco comes from my home state

Some Shirazi (oriental/turkish origin, grown in Persia) running thru to seed. 70 days since sown. From what I can gather most plants will give anywhere from 2-6oz of dry leaf.

post-15739-0-58203900-1423062572_thumb.j

post-15739-0-38636700-1423062586_thumb.j

post-15739-0-58203900-1423062572_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-38636700-1423062586_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-58203900-1423062572_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-38636700-1423062586_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These plants grow like weeds. 33 days apart..

post-15739-0-55977600-1423145836_thumb.j

post-15739-0-55977600-1423145836_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-55977600-1423145836_thumb.jpg

those plants look great Herbalist! I grew a different strain and they flowered like crazy. Every day for about a month, i picked seed heads, and grubs off my plants. The little bastards would burrow into the the seed pods and clean them out. The leaves were thin and full of holes. I read a long time ago that tobacco plants are a good natural pest control. my ass.

These were harvested on Saturday (14/2) and photos taken just before. The aroma is already coming thru but not too strong.

post-15739-0-63100500-1424258477_thumb.j

post-15739-0-88332700-1424258481_thumb.j

post-15739-0-63100500-1424258477_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-88332700-1424258481_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-63100500-1424258477_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-88332700-1424258481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gimli