The Corroboree
jason33

Which ephedra contains the most ephedrine not psud

Wanting to propergate and ephedra species that is more physically activating rather than as a decongestant I bought some Ephedra Nerveradis seeds or Mormon tea how does that fair?

Hi Jason

There's heaps of information about this all over the web and probably on this forum too. I'm sure you will find it much more of a rewarding experience if you do a bit of your own research. There's a search feature on this site you can use and more often than not you'll find it already posted here. Otherwise if you Google ephedra you will definitely find all the info you need.

Thanks it seems the one im after is the more physically stimulating one

nevadensis are moderately interesting.

you could try buy some geradianas from the sab store if they ever come back into play

gerardiana and sinensis are the main ephedrine species. major, viridis and nevadensis are the main pseudoephedrine species. can't remember dystachia, but I think it is mixed.

I googled ephedra viridis and wiki, say's viridis is nevadensis, but I think it's wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra_viridis

important to know is, that one chooses the right ephedra plant, for the right location, for example:

Ephedra distachya, is the most frost hardy and can survive even -25 deg C.

ephedra major, can withstand high temps, but gerardiana for example hates high temps and did die at my place, but I am sure it would as well survive even a place much colder than Canberra...

sinica unfortunately suffers a bit as well from too much heat.

on a site note, diego maradona suffered a while from ephedra addiction, so did probably john smith who founded the Mormon faith.

• Like 2

Very useful info planthelper!

I don't have experience growing Ephedra but a quick Google on Nevadensis suggests it should also be able to survive extreme heat and cold. Not sure how it compares to Distachya (a shrub that can survive -20 degree temperatures seems impossible to beat).

Here's some graphed data from a study by Hong et al. 2011, E. equisetina seems to trump all.

gallery_5307_350_4856.png

• Like 1

I've grown equisetina from various collections before and found them all to be disappointing.