The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fungi1963

Went Grocery Shopping in the Forest

I went grocery shopping this weekend in the local forest.

Let's just say I am a very happy little vegemite! --- If I only brought more bags I could have filled the back of the car with them!

I even had enough time during the hunt to collect my own wild strains of Trametes Versicolor (Turkey Tail mushroom) and get it put down on the agar plate for incubation.

I started with some slippery jacks but then said buggar it, I'm all about milk caps today!

ForestShopping01_zps6156f6ec.jpg

ForestShopping02_zps224b53b2.jpg

Edited by fungi1963
  • Like 2

Nice :)

I have also been picking lotsa these.

Only two bags? I came back with 8, and pickled a whole jar of Lactarius.

If your looking in those areas keep an eye out for grey knights - Tricholoma terreum - which I think is superior in flavour to both the milk cap and slippery jack group.

I did look at the other mycological flora on the hunt. Only grey's I remember had bloody long stems elevating them well above the forest floor. Caps were dark gray over more than half with the other side light gray (sun induced?). I didn't stop to look too much as I was fighting time with sunset less than 45 minutes away.

These saffron's were extremely prolific but were not strong flavoured at all. They weren't bitter but they didn't have the perfumed accents I've gotten from other locations.

Had a feed tonight for the first time. Not too bad. They did not make it to favourite status yet though.

• Like 1

I did look at the other mycological flora on the hunt. Only grey's I remember had bloody long stems elevating them well above the forest floor. Caps were dark gray over more than half with the other side light gray (sun induced?). I didn't stop to look too much as I was fighting time with sunset less than 45 minutes away.

These saffron's were extremely prolific but were not strong flavoured at all. They weren't bitter but they didn't have the perfumed accents I've gotten from other locations.

Maybe those tall ones you were finding were Xerula sp?

Thank you for the suggestion, I had a look at all images google had indexed for Xerula but couldn't find a match yet.

Edited by fungi1963