The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mu!

Cool plants and places at Mt. Baw Baw

I'll be going up to Mt. Baw Baw on the weekend and thought it best to prepare myself with some knowledge of the area in regards to interesting flora and fauna to check out. Being a sub-alpine region there are lots of shrubby Eucalypts and grasses/sedges to check out, with the Baw Baw berry (Wittsteinia vacciniacea) being one of the main attractions along with the critically endangered Baw Baw frog (Philoria frosti), if you can find it! Theres also lots of trails and walk to get lost on and explore and I'm sure I will do both of those.

I'm curious as to what kinds of mushrooms I might find up there too, as well as other interesting plants and rocks.

Do you have any experiences or info on Mt. Baw Baw or the adjacent national park, Baw Baw National Park? If you do then this is the place to share it :)

Love Mt Baw Baw! Me and my awesome girlfriend went up there to take pics of orchids once. There was a bloody ski lodge in full swing -snow everywhere, and that was in the middle of September!

You should definitely call ahead and ask about the conditions. They told us blizzards can come over without any warning, and we were very lucky they let us drive up without chains on our tyres. The final few kilometers of road is gated and hiring chains was $50 which we weren't willing to spend, but they let us go anyway.

I was so glad we did go up, it was my first time in snow. We hired sleds and made a snow man and had hot chocolates by the fire :)

It was completely and utterly unexpected to find such thick snow up there in September, let alone a fully operational ski resort.

Happy Daze at Baw Baw :D

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1