The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gr33ntea

My prized loph battling fungus rot and spider mites

I killed all the spider mites with isopropyl alcohol spray, now i need to carve up the rot, how bad is it? Can i apply sulfur powder and just let it do its job or do i have to carve out more of the rot?
Some bits are still a bit squishy.

In case i have some spider mites present, how do i kill them? Should i clean the soil as well?

I have quarantined the plant and pot

IMG 20140511 150837

IMG 20140511 150827

IMG 20140511 150731

IMG 20140511 150722

Hi Gr33ntea!

1. Iso does not kill all spidermites at once. You need a bunch of treatments in cycles of 3 days to kill eggs.

2. What was first? Mites or Infection? Looks like Mites "ate" you an infection.

3. But now, spider mites are the small problem. Rot could kill the plant because you´ve created a pocket there, which is extremely hard to treat.

4. Is this still attached to the graft? If so, it may be an option to remove the stock to get air to the infection. Right now, you may or may not get problems with the space between the graft and the stock, because the infection will crawl between it, where it´s moist and treatment is difficult. Is this still actively growing? The plant doesn´t look so sick. Maybe you caught it early on.

5. Do you have pics of whatever you cut away? Would like to see what kind of Rot this was. The Orange, Rot is problematic, but a lot less lethal as some othert types of fungal Rot.

6. Get sulfur and Fungicide. You need the big guns for this. I am optimistic this is treatable with sulfur and if needed, fungicide.

7. Out of smart things to say.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Hi EG thanks for the information and tips

This is what it looked liked when i scooped out most of the rot

IMG 20140510 222706

I believe the mites came first than the rot

It is still attached to the graft, i think i will make some more room to air it out

Does the sulfur also kill the mites? I will see if my local bunnings has any insecticide

Edit: I am certain it is not red rust rot

Edited by gr33ntea

Yeah, this is not good. It´s not orange rot and this looks fairly aggressive. Remove the stock and make sure there´s no pockets under it and ensure ventilation. Sulfur is an absolute must with it. And don´t waste like 7-10 days to wait for it in the mail. Get in the Cash and Carry Market or how they are named in Australia and get some sulfur and fungicide even if it's expensive. Right now, you have good chances to treat it, but if the infection starts again, it´s probably lost.

Sulfur is great. I powder fresh cuts after i cut away the infection. It works wonders but i would still get fungicide because they can save some Zombies with it. It also works against Mites but rather in the sense of keeping it away. If you have a big population, you might need to use something else too. But for now, first priority is the Infection. Chances are Mites lose Interest if this Plant is all powdered with sulfur and shit.

• Like 2

Tomato dust has sulfur and insecticide, it works well for your situation.

It's fairly cheap too. Woolworths has it if you can't get to a hardware store.

Hah man your cacti like rot :P

At least the pups will survive... maybe

Edited by Sabry

Hah man your cacti like rot

Well, there´s gotta be a reason for that. This is not a co-incidence. It´s probably the spider mites or the growing environment.

I would cut all of the healthy pups away from the main plant & dust them with sulfur & set them aside to dry before placing them in sand to root or graft the healthy pups! As for the main plant & suss looking pups I would follow EG's advice.

Cheers

Jox

Edited by Jox

I'm with sabry, your mama plant is toast.

go with jox & cut away the healthy pups & thats the best you can hope for

Absolutely agree. Removing Pups for backup is absolutely necessary. Chances are you will lose the Plant and by doing this, you minimize the risk.

Absolutely agree. Removing Pups for backup is absolutely necessary. Chances are you will lose the Plant and by doing this, you minimize the risk.

Ok i will seperate the pups, atleast i will have lots

Tomato dust has sulfur and insecticide, it works well for your situation.

It's fairly cheap too. Woolworths has it if you can't get to a hardware store.

Ok i will buy some

Hah man your cacti like rot :P

At least the pups will survive... maybe

fuck you. lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plant was indoors, no idea how it got spider mites, definitely from the soil. I will salvage the pup, they should be a good size. How exactly do i kill spider mites, i got some mancozeb + sulphur fungicide

Interesting thing i learn today

I was messing around with one of the spider mites i caught and i tried crushing it with my finger, motherfu**er didn't get squished. SO while i was doing some research i heard these little critters develop resistance to the poisons used against them, so apparently if you use too much of some insecticide/fungicide the bitches will out-evolve the poison. Fuck you Darwin and your natural selection.

• Like 1

I sometimes mix up mancozeb fungicide with methylated spirits and paint it on when things get bad. Works wire and dries nicely. & Take off the pups! ;) good luck!

Edited by watertrade