The Corroboree
CLICKHEREx

Fresh bid to bankrupt SA drug offenders

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/fresh-bid-to-bankrupt-sa-drug-offenders/story-fn3dxiwe-1226910567489

May 08, 2014 4:02PM

THE South Australian government is to try for a fourth time to bankrupt serious drug offenders.

The government has introduced the necessary legislation to state parliament after having it rejected in the upper house in its three previous attempts.

The proposed new laws will allow for serious drug offenders to have their assets seized and be bankrupted after conviction, regardless of whether their assets were the proceeds of crime.

They will target offenders with three convictions within 10 years for such offences as trafficking, manufacturing drugs for sale and possession of large quantities of drugs.

"We strongly believe that the most effective way to fight the drug trade is to punish those who profit from it," Attorney-General John Rau said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly constitutes a "serious drug offence"? Importing 50 gms of cocaine for your own use? Possessing 1 kilo of cannabis from your crop to get you and your

partner through the year, so you don't have to pay $thousands to the dealers?

They are both more than the trafficable limit in S.A.

And for this, you could lose your home, car, business, and any other assets you have worked your whole life to accumulate.

"They will target offenders with three convictions within 10 years for such offences as trafficking, manufacturing drugs for sale and possession of large quantities of

drugs" - cops are known to repeatedly target people they know are growing cannabis for their own use, because it's an easy conviction, to meet their quota, and/or

boost their chances of promotion.

It stinks of money grabbing politicians, to me, and I hope the courts give them short shrift again, and again, if necessary.

Edited by CLICKHEREx
  • Like 3

If police investigated the homes of all politicians I bet they could find more than those quantities in many of their homes.

Hopefully the quantities they're going to use for this process are much higher.

That said, there are some really horrible people that are only engaged in these activities for profit, not for exploring/ learning or with any care for detrimental effects that can result from the cheap nasty shit that is pushed in some areas. I have no problem with people who really don't give a shit about others losing all their possessions.

• Like 2

I agree, senor Duke. However we have to be clear in these discussions that our enemy is not "drug users" or, as the government/Powers dub them "drug offenders". The people you describe who are involved in the illegal drugs trade and who don't care for others are bad drug users. Since most humans use drugs, and most humans do care about others, i think it's very important to highlight that most drug users are not bad people. Therefore most drug users do not deserve punishment, even if they 'have done it before' and hence 'should know better' :scratchhead:

Being a user, or even producer, of different drugs to the ones (currently) legally sanctioned should not be an 'offence' to begin with, and taking away the possessions of such people is incredibly callous and cruel, particularly if there is no evidence of a connection between these items and the supposed crime. I think CLICKHERE is on the money when s/he says these laws will target ordinary people attempting to live their lives. Surely there is no greater incentive to recidivism than having one's entire life ripped away; maybe these already marginalised people will, having no remaining options, resort to true crime!

:uzi::bong: ...which is the criminal?

I definitely agree with making that distinction. Hopefully these laws won't be used to target ordinary people that are not involved in serious organised crime. You are probably right though that some people will be effected that shouldn't. There are a small number of people that should be targeted by these laws but as mentioned if drugs were legalised and regulated we could take the power from those interests by removing most of their income. Which would also be a good idea and would free up police for more important activities.