The Corroboree
Evil Genius

The colored San Pedro Flower Project

So i went back to my garden for the first time in 8 months. There were 1000s of flower buds a few weeks away from going wild but i had to go back to work and didn't get to see them they're probably busting out about now...

but the schickendanziis and grandiflorus were ebullient as usual for mid-Nov (the columnars don't flower until mid-Dec, like clockwork, the clumpers and columners never flower simultaneously). I was pleasantly surprised by this yellow "grandiflorus" or whatever you want to call it. I have a vague memory of knowing this would flower yellow but i really can't remember even where the cutting came from it's been growing slowly in heavy shade in a mat of carpobrotus for a few years. post-1521-0-16871000-1418477524_thumb.pn

post-1521-0-16871000-1418477524_thumb.png

post-1521-0-16871000-1418477524_thumb.png

• Like 9

Hi Micromegas! Love Your Garden! Could it be something like this? Yellow Spachianus.

Trichocereus-spachianus-001.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks eg i wish i could spend more time there, a few weeks a year is a bit of a drag.

I didn't take a photo of the stem. until it flowered i thought it was just like the classic huasca/grandiflorus alongside (because the stems looked similar) but when it flowered different i knew better. I never took time to make it grow well, needless to say i planted out a few of its offsets in better positions.

overnight i remembered (i think) that it came from a very old garden of a very old man in SA. he had planted 1000s of schickendanziis in his front yard underneath a large pasacana. he'd been collecting cactus for 50+ years and had a greenhouse, there's every chance he hybridized it himself. he wasn't that interested in me though!

it could've been from anywhere mind you, likely a hybrid but of what i don't know. i wonder if I crossed "pinky" with this guy what colour would result.

again, coloured trich flowers seem like the best reason to make trich hybrids to me they add so much to a cactus garden.

Hey, so these appeared a few weeks ago, been meaning to take some photos, but Havant got around to it, just crappy phone pics, the dslr is away for a few days!

Are there the flowers or are they yet to flower? Had these for years and never done this before, the fur was like cotton. Bit sad now, got banged up in a bad hail storm and rain.

post-15518-0-64433900-1418592148_thumb.j

post-15518-0-01312900-1418592166_thumb.j

post-15518-0-64433900-1418592148_thumb.jpg

post-15518-0-01312900-1418592166_thumb.jpg

post-15518-0-64433900-1418592148_thumb.jpg

post-15518-0-01312900-1418592166_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great topic!!. My cactiholism is getting worse for reading this kind of things :P.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried crossing a columnar Trichocereus with Lobivia ferox? It has flowers of variable colour, and I think the plants themselves would be insanely beautiful.

Lobivia_ferox_culpina_300m_810.jpg

Lobivia_lateritia_kupperiana_R763A_810.j

• Like 4

I'm in the US and blooms for my Echinopsis and clumping Trichocereus have just started. I'll have several dozen different plants blooming and plan to cross them all with each other, but what I'd really like is some pollen from columnar 'San Pedros.'

Message me if you'd like to send me some columnar trichocereus pollen. I'll split the resulting seeds from any successful crosses with the donor, so please be sure to put your username in the package with the pollen. Bonus points if you can provide me pictures of your plant and flower. Thanks!

• Like 1

does arboricola count as 'columnar'?

Not in my (meaningless but to me) definition, but I'll still take some!

The arboricola I got from you last year is doing well but I don't see any signs of flowers from it this year.

They have awesome flowers and are really rare. I paid a fortune for mine years ago. So yeah, definitely worth growing. Grow it as a hanging basket cactus though.

I have a some huasca crosses available, T. bridgesii ‘Ben’ x T. huasca (Red Flower), T. peruvianus ‘John’ x T. huasca (Red Flower) and T. ‘Super Pedro’ x T. huasca (Red Flower) full list :)

Edited by interbeing
  • Like 5

I'M IN!

I plan to breed from Juul's Giant, T. tulhuaycensis, and the tall-growing trich hybrids that Mattslandscaping offers.

The level of sophistication in echinopsis flowers is pretty intense -- fancy tri-colors, etc -- would love to see those flowers at EYE-LEVEL.

Roger Colgreen.

• Like 3

Anyone else breed their tulhuayacensis, and has some seed? Please!

• Like 1

Hi guys, happy to announce I was able to source some Tulhuayacensis seeds. I´ll let you know when I have it...the seeds are really fresh and viable.

• Like 6

Would be quite excited to sow some of these EG, if available!

• Like 1

It will be. Already got a small quantity that I´ve sown out completely just to test the quality. Which is great. So yeah, will get the rest in a few weeks. :)

• Like 3

EG, those are confirmed from purple-flowered plants?

• Like 1

Hello Corroboree - family.

I am new here, but I wanted to say hello, and introduce myself. I go by Kizatzhaddarak, Or some people call me Miss-K. I am an active member in Shroomery's ethnobotanical garden, there. Since I grow a number of kinds of Trichocereus, and have Huaschas and others. Some of the people on that Site, Said I should come here. They told me that there are people working on trying to bring color through Hybridization, to some of the Tall columnear species. This is a subject that is very dear to me. I have T. Pachanoi, T. brigesii, T. Werdermanianus, huascha, skottburgii, and others.. and I grow them from seed. I am also quite fond of Australian plants in general, especially Bush-Tucker species and Melaleucas. I have a few kinds of Eucalyptus I am growing my my greenhouse, along with some acacias. I have always Loved Australia, and had the opportunity to be an exchange student to (Oz'), in 1993. Anyway, I look forward to joining this discussion area as well as others. I just wished to Join here As I want to be part of the people working wo bring colored flowers to to the (BIG) Trichos. Thank you for allowing me to be here.. . M-K.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard, kizatzhaddarak.

If you get shamanic columnars to flower in the PNW let me know how you do it!

The difficulty of flowering them so far north is why I just watch this thread :wink:

Welcome Kizatzhaddarak! Glad to see you made your way over here.