The Corroboree
Evil Genius

The colored San Pedro Flower Project

Hey, Zelly already posted a photo but here it is again. This plant grows to about 3 or 4ft tall and I classify it as a peru x ???

It must have been crossed 10-15 yrs ago at least because i bought it as a cutting from who knows who, and not as a seedling.

One day when I live more permanently with my garden I will make some seed as it must be a fantastic parent plant. This is a very unique cactus. Someone, somewhere, did a very good job and I tip my hat to them, sometimes i wonder did they even know it produced such brilliant pink flowers?

post-1521-0-04941800-1399562706_thumb.jp

post-1521-0-04941800-1399562706_thumb.jpg

post-1521-0-04941800-1399562706_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Micromegas, yes, I am not really seeing the full plant, but I assume it is a flowering Tulhuayascensis! The only San pedro with a non-white flower. Extremely rare Plant, especially with that size. Is that your Plant and can you breed with it? It would be so cool to see some hybrids with it!

• Like 3

An interesting statement from Snu's book: (pg 336)

T. Validus

Apparently a different plant is available horticulturally under the same name; it is a clumping plant with red flowers (Smith 2000), as opposed to the large columnar plant with white flowers described by Curt Backeberg (Backeberg 1959). It is most likely Backebergs's species that was used in Agurell et al's analysis (Smith 2000).

Quoting Snu's book: (pg 335)

in n.e. Peru a variegated form of San Pedro with white and red flowers, known as 'San Pedro misha', is said to be particularly (censored).

• Like 1

Some interesting information here. I can't find out much about Tulhuayascensis, just one picture and then this thread! The picture doesn't have the same spination, flower colour is right on.

Here's a better pic of the spination. This is a few year back.

Once day i will make a cross.

post-1521-0-62383900-1399706041_thumb.pn

post-1521-0-62383900-1399706041_thumb.png

post-1521-0-62383900-1399706041_thumb.png

• Like 7

Extremely rare and fantastic Plant, Micromegas! This is either the One I mentioned or a Hybrid, which would be really surprising if someone didn´t intentionally bred it. But i really think it´s Tulhuayascensis, despite the spination is not typical. It may have been grown out of one of Ritters Seed Bags, that were shipped around the world because seed-grown plants can be extremely variable. This Trichocereus is extremely close to Trichocereus Tarmaensis and i think it grows nearby.

post-1140-0-88465100-1399709704_thumb.jp

post-1140-0-95690200-1399709699_thumb.jp

post-1140-0-95690200-1399709699_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-88465100-1399709704_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-95690200-1399709699_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-88465100-1399709704_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius

Yeah, Tarma, Peru is only about 92 km northwest of Huachac. They are both on the eastern side of the Andes divide, this as opposed to T. peruvianus which is on the western side. T. cuzcoensis, though a bit further southeast is also on the eastern side of the Andes.

Since most Echinopsis are diurnal bloomers and Trichocereus are nocturnal bloomers how does this play out with flowering schedules in crosses?

~Michael~

Since most Echinopsis are diurnal bloomers and Trichocereus are nocturnal bloomers how does this play out with flowering schedules in crosses?

plants are clueless to the labels imposed upon them, know what I mean?

I've seen trich flowers open & remain open for 48+ hours, mostly opening at dusk or slightly before.

besides, what does it matter what time of the day a flower opens if pollen remains viable for weeks if not longer?

I was just curious, well, remain curious, if there is a propensity towards these sorts of Echinopsis x Trichocereus reflecting one parents normal blooming period over the other. Not trying to impose labels nor worried about pollen.

~Michael~

Check this out.

I arrived at this plant by a most circuitous route today and it blew my socks off. What I was originally looking for did not even involve cactus!

It seems nature has already completed the coloured san pedro flower project haha.

From Dave's Garden:

PlantFiles: Echinopsis

Echinopsis tarijensis

bookmark

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)

Genus: Echinopsis (ek-in-OP-sis) (Info)

Species: tarijensis (tar-ih-HEN-sis) (Info)

Synonym:Echinopsis tarijensis subsp. tarijensis

Synonym:Trichocereus poco

Synonym:Trichocereus narvaecensis

Synonym:Trichocereus tarijensis

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Category:

Cactus and Succulents

Height:

12-15 ft. (3.6-4.7 m)

15-20 ft. (4.7-6 m)

Spacing:

24-36 in. (60-90 cm)

36-48 in. (90-120 cm)

Hardiness:

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Sun Exposure:

Full Sun

Sun to Partial Shade

Light Shade

Danger:

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Bloom Color:

Pink

Red

White/Near White

Cream/Tan

Bloom Time:

Unknown - Tell us

Foliage:

Unknown - Tell us

Other details:

Drought-tolerant; suitable for xeriscaping

Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater

Soil pH requirements:

Unknown - Tell us

Patent Information:

Unknown - Tell us

Propagation Methods:

From woody stem cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; direct sow after last frost

Seed Collecting:

Allow unblemished fruit to ripen; clean and dry seeds

Unblemished fruit must be significantly overripe before harvesting seed; clean and dry seeds

Properly cleaned, seed can be successfully stored

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92032/#ixzz323mXvKrj

From: http://www.orchidees.fr/forums/index.php?showtopic=61462

1610.jpg

1810.jpg

41986304.jpg

And for EG here's the wiki entry in german: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_tarijensis

Where do I get one!

• Like 10

I have a plant I believe to be Trichocereus Tarijensis growing in my front yard it is about 6 years old from seed and still quite small. No sign if flowers yet.....

• Like 4

I love Trichocereus Tarijensis. I am ordering seed from a few different sites cant wait to get some going and grafted :)

• Like 1

I love Trichocereus Tarijensis. I am ordering seed from a few different sites cant wait to get some going and grafted :)

really nice plant

Origin: Argentina, Bolivia

What seed houses are you getting the seed from?

So Trichocereus Tarijensis.and Trichocereus tulhuayacensiswou look slightly similar, crossing them both might produce some interesting results..

Hi Dreamwalker. They are very different Plants, because Tarjensis is a larger Pasacana-like Trichocereus and tulhuayacaensis is like Peruvianus or cuzcoensis just with a different Flower. Tulh. only reaches up to 2 meters tall in most cases. Tarjensis gets up to five and looks like a giant spiny tree. So it is an absolute fantastic plant and crossing would be great but the size that they need to reach before they will flower will be very limiting. I have a very large One but it is still far from flowering. Besides, its hard to get them to flower in a greenhouse. They need a free root run.

But again, if you do get them to flower, they are fabulous. I have spread some Terscheckii x Colored Trichocereus seeds earlier this year and they will be grown from a few people here. But since it only makes sense to send them to People who can grow em outside, i didn´t send them to people in my climate. These guys will go through the roof.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

really nice plant

Origin: Argentina, Bolivia

What seed houses are you getting the seed from?

So Trichocereus Tarijensis.and Trichocereus tulhuayacensiswou look slightly similar, crossing them both might produce some interesting results..

Www.cactusstore.com got some poco seeds from them but only a couple have germinated after a few months.

• Like 1

So yeah I had never seen or heard of this plant before and it's awesome.

The synonyms also intrigued me:

Synonym:Trichocereus poco

Synonym:Trichocereus narvaecensis

Synonym:Trichocereus tarijensis

I have a T. poco from SAB I'd say it's 5yrs from flowering, maybe less. It looks about right although a bit spiny i think because it is young, but I bet the flower is white.

Alright Guys, so the seeds are packed and i finally have enough padded letters. Will ship out within the next few days. Just a short heads-up. Please let me know when they are there. bye Eg

• Like 6

Pollen collected from this red flowered grandiflorus on 6-3-14 & I will ship worldwide to anyone wanting to experiment

post-3765-0-95671600-1401844141_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-95671600-1401844141_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-95671600-1401844141_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've also become interested in this idea recently. I'm thinking crossing this (suspected) Pink Glory with some of the usual columnars might lead to good results. Looks like a thick slightly longer spined T. spachianus and grows to at least 6ft/2m.

post-12335-0-36981600-1402190252.jpg

This König Ludwig looks interesting too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trichocereus-hybride-Konig-Ludwig-Echinopsis-/111337202841?nma=true&si=GmeeL0YZW%252ByMa9JA%252BBzkbFu1q1E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by solaritea
  • Like 2

A couple of other well known colouful hybrids are Echinopsis 'Los Angeles' and Echinopsis 'Epic'

post-8867-0-02068900-1402193910_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-85392500-1402193937_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-28760200-1402193947_thumb.jp

Echinopsis LA.jpg

Echinopsis 'Epic'03.jpg

Echinopsis 'Epic'05.jpg

Echinopsis LA.jpg

Echinopsis 'Epic'03.jpg

Echinopsis 'Epic'05.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 7

'Whiora' is a Echinopsis, Trichocereus hybrid that originates from Fields that has a pink flower.

attachicon.gifTrichonopsis 'Whiora'.jpg

'Whiora' was crossed with a pachanoi a few years ago by PD, mine flowered for the first time this summer.

attachicon.gifWhiora x pachanoi 1.jpg

attachicon.gifWhiora x pachanoi 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWhiora x pachanoi 3 .jpg

:)

did it fruit?

did it fruit?

No

Alright, first wave is shipped but i didn´t have enough Envelopes and ordered some more. Rest will go out in two or three days. Then, i´ve shipped them all. Good Stuff coming for you! ;)

• Like 4