The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
at0m

Ridiculously hot chili growing info

Recipes, growing tips, photos! I want it all!

I've been growing red habs, choc habs and some misc. jalapeños for awhile but it's fairly bland. The red hab. I put in the ground when I moved house a few months ago went absolutely crazy in a few months. Nearly quadrupled in size! It's only just producing ripe fruit now though... seems a bit late?

I come asking for tips though... how do you increase the strength of your chillies? I'm looking to make some hot sauces at some point down the track and I'd love to be using my own, home grown, stupidly hot, satanic level pods. I'll probably order some online before then and try and get a rad recipe going.

Excuse the terrible photo and the messy garden but here's my current red hab. bush:

8pFS5jG.jpg

(Related: Interested in buying some seeds and/or ridiculously hot fruits. PM me)

• Like 3

Get yourself some hotter chillies than habs! I always get my super hot seeds mail order from the hippy seed company on the central coast of nsw. He sells seedlings cheap from his house too.

• Like 1

Get yourself some hotter chillies than habs! I always get my super hot seeds mail order from the hippy seed company on the central coast of nsw. He sells seedlings cheap from his house too.

I've been meaning to but I'm incredibly slack. For awhile, I was under the impression mine were bhut jolokia as it's what they were given to me as/marked as.

I feed my peppers every week. One week some bone meal and the next a foliar feed with Epsom salt 2 tbs per gallon. The extra calcium and magnesium really does em good.

The fruit on mine are only just starting to ripen too. It is very late in the season, mine are normally tucked away from the frost by now.

Any of the top five hottest have heat AND flavour? Everyone raves about the burn, but TBH I don't even find Habaneros that exciting, flavourwise, and their heat is weak.

bhut jolokia fuck they r hot ..god damn hot .. too fucken hot. my old lady get a crazy hot yummy jam from the market down south [nsw] i will ask her if she can get a recipe?? also i have sum cool cross breeds but fuck man they r the devils bitch too hot to eat but cool to grow..

• Like 1

I love insanely hot chillies but you don't always want to over power the other flavours you're using in a dish. Thai/birds eye chillies are quite spicy and they have a nice flavour. I'm using them all of the time at the moment when making tom yum. You already have habanero which has a nice smokey flavour. If you have an abundance of jalapeños then you could try making chipotles. The flavour is very nice. Cayenne are nice too.

By the way, it's not exactly chillie growing season at the moment unless you're growing them indoors, in a greenhouse or near the equator.

AtoM one of my fav dishes is Borp.

Borp basically is cannellini beans soaked overnight. Then you make a soup the next day with potato and onions, wild dill/fennel , carrot, garlic. cook it with what ever is fresh in the garden(it's typically a winter dish).

then when you serve it , you sprinkle -excuse my english but i spell phonetically from maco - boocharsko piprr(dried hot chilli's flesh and seed together in a rough, dry ground powder) over the top.

To make it spesh, you fry up a noice ,organic pork snag before hand, then thrown in crispy slithers of the sausage before adding the peprr sprinkle.

• Like 2

The hots and megahots are more for odor and heat than flavor, IMO.

Caribbean Red is hab hot+ and a nice fruity aroma

Fatalii is hab hot and a very clear lemony odor

The Coumari ou Passarinho I grew (there seems to be several variants) were like small blunt end indented apex cylindrical orange habs with an amazingly complex fruit odor and slight fruit flavor. Almost hab hot.

BGH 4200 is only like 1/5th the heat of caribbean red, perhaps 1/4 hab, but its got some of the same odor as those, its bigger, and you can actually taste it and its good for salsa.

I enjoyed Congo Trinidad, distinctly bigger than habs with a nice acute apex 'tail', hotter'n habs and a slight vegetabley flavor managed to come through on the ones I grew. I liked it enough to choose to cross it with a antioxidant rich wild chinense for a new breeding series.

• Like 1

I thought the flavour of bhut jolokia was awesome :)

i have some of these bad boys (amongst others) and they are pretty awesome! http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/moruga-scorpion-yellow-chilli-seeds-msyoct.html only had a few pods off it tho so far (struggled all summer for some reason but i think its coming good again now)

Edited by brooa

Everyone raves about the burn.

I agree with you on this cultural tendency toward the superlative. As a Southwestern North American, I see the mostly dominant group chatting up the Scolville Scale: always the next best thing that brings them a perceived power from the plants they grow/eat. In this border region's chilli-offs, it is always the Northies that create the hottest 'sauces' with the most insensible combinations.

Though the heat - in the proper dosage - can be validly understood as medicine for a few reasons that include the effect of cooling the body, the culinary use in my experience is two-fold: Not only are good Jalapenos (which vary in heat) great tasting, but the heat has an instant reaction to the oral salivary glands that then coat the tongue's taste buds and creates a film that seems to enhance other flavors as well, so that the overall effect of a great meal is that the distinctive individual flavors are savored for hours after. With bhut jolokia last year, all I could do was excise the smallest piece to treat a sudden toothache, and cayenne is notable for its health benefits, but for flavor the heat of the hottest Jalapenos, or a milder-than Habanero chinense with that family's great flavor, or a fruitier Aji from the Andes are all superlative flavor enhancers to this elfkin.

Edited by gwalchgwyn
  • Like 2