The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Tricholoma terreum - grey ghost mushroom

Did you try it? I too would like to know what they're like. Might have to collect some next time I'm out if they're still fruiting.

I fried it up. All water and no taste. It was edible but hardly the height of gourmet experience.

• Like 1

Well, that's a tad disappointing. I guess that explains why they're rarely hunted. Very common up here, but no one seems to pick them.

• Like 1

DSCF8240_zps59dc7312.jpg

The new field guide to Tasmanian fungi refers to it as Tricholoma aff. terreum - with the note that there MAY BE more than one grey in Tas. but the authours are grouping into aff. terreum.

Didn't know anything about edibility. Was found under mature Radiata pine plantation forest (June 2013).

EDIT - might need to look into introducing into one of my pine shelter belts/blocks

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

I see them occasionally but only in certain spots. I had ignored them until a chef told me they were sort after.

Scratch that - found heaps on sat and fried them alone in butter. Very nice. Chewy like shiitake but flavours of sweet sesame.

• Like 3

DSCF2264_zpsecc1e1a9.jpg

I found thousands of them today Zen, under radiata pine and douglas fir

• Like 1

Grrr you guys! Fry them in ghee, then when they're cooked, turn down the pan and add butter.

Butter burns at the temps you need for frying, ghee is butter with the milk solids removed.

I am only finding them in very old stands of trees I am noting, older age stands than the usual forestry production forest.

Hahahha, mushrooms have feelings too.

• Like 2

Picked a bunch yesterday, cooked them up for dinner tonight. They're good! Cheers for the heads up Zen, you've changed mushroom season for me in a big way. So good to have another hugely abundant species to pick. Almost no saffron milk caps were around yesterday, but still tonnes of T. terreum.

• Like 1

Im glad. They are quite nice - i prefer them to most other common pine-related edibles.

Just happened to come across this. Looks like tricholoma sp including terreum have now been declared poisonous if eaten in large enough quantities. Might be worth exercising caution for now unless more research is done on the ones growing here.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2014/06/fatal-toxins-identified-edible-tricholoma-terreum-equestre-wild-mushrooms

See attached file for comments on the paper re toxicity of T. terreum (I couldn't paste text in so had to capture as image)

post-16472-0-78963600-1430995342_thumb.p

post-16472-0-78963600-1430995342_thumb.png

post-16472-0-78963600-1430995342_thumb.png

• Like 1